Professional Web Applications Themes

Stroke not scaling when using "fit to page" in the print window. - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

We have a large Illustrator CS file that we are trying to print as 11x17. Some of the text has a 13 pt stroke on it and when it prints, it is not scaling down the stroke. Is there any setting that I'm missing that I need to change? If I create outlines of the type, it works just fine! Any ideas of how to make the text work would be appreciated! Thanks, Lisa...

  1. #1

    Default Stroke not scaling when using "fit to page" in the print window.

    Lisa_Jacobs@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Double click on the Scale tool and click Scale strokes and effects.
    veselinko@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I have also had a similar problem, but seems to be based on items being grouped or not, how Illustrator is feeling at the moment, which way the wind is ing, what color your toenails are painted, you get the drift. Even with Scale Strokes and Effects selected in the preferences, and at the tool level, when an item or group is scaled it seems to be very eratic whether the strokes are scaled or not. I have found that if I use the appearance palette to add strokes and group the items, the strokes are not scaled and need to be done manually. Some items that are giving me trouble seem to be fine and react the way they are supposed to later, like after application switching, going to this forum and writing this, etc. ug.

    hopefully this is a fixable bug or a fixable user error.
    John_Hartsfield@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    "Double click on the Scale tool and click Scale strokes and effects."

    He's not re-sizing the objects on the page, he's just trying to print at a different scale. Will the scale tool preferences have any effect on this? I haven't noticed the problem he describes, but maybe I haven't ever changed the scale dramatically enough to be aware of it.
    jonf@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I have ran across the same thing...I have even had some text in the same text box not scale down the stroke while the rest of it does. Got me...I think that it might have something to do with the alighnment of the moons!
    Kris_Kelly@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I think Lisa is talking about scaling area type, where paragraph settings have been used to add space after the paragraph, indent the first line, and so on. When scaling the text box with the scale tool (such as you might do if the type is part of an overall graphic that all needs to be scaled), the type's point size and leading are scaled, but not the paragraph attributes. For example, set aparagraph of type at 10 on 12, with an 8-point first line indent. Scale the type block 50%. The type will now be 5 on 6, but the first line is still indented 8 points. Turning on Scale Strokes and Effects makes no difference, nor does applying the paragraph attributes as a style.
    Gary_Newman@adobeforums.com Guest