Professional Web Applications Themes

Stroking an image... - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi all, I'm evaluating Illustrator. I've searched the help files and if I read correctly, I should be able to do this... so I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. I want a border (stroke) around an image. I've dragged and dropped a .bmp file into a page, and tried adding a stroke thereafter, but to no avail. The 'Appearance' palette indicates that there is a 5pt Dashed Stroke, but I see nothing. I can create a new shape with a stroke successfully, and can easily apply one to text or an existing a shape However, I'm unable to ...

  1. #1

    Default Stroking an image...

    Hi all,

    I'm evaluating Illustrator. I've searched the help files and if I read correctly, I should be able to do this... so I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong.

    I want a border (stroke) around an image. I've dragged and dropped a .bmp file into a page, and tried adding a stroke thereafter, but to no avail. The 'Appearance' palette indicates that there is a 5pt Dashed Stroke, but I see nothing.

    I can create a new shape with a stroke successfully, and can easily apply one to text or an existing a shape However, I'm unable to get one around any image...

    Any feedback or direction would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Drak
    Drakken_Mordith@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Stroking an image...

    Drak,

    Select your Image > Apperance Palette Flyout menu (small arrow in top right corner) select add new stroke > Effects-path-outline object > Now just select desired weight from the stroke palette and colour etc.
    Dean_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Dean M,

    That's the ticket...

    Thank you!

  4. #4

    Hmmm, I'm having a similar problem however using the appearance palette to set the stroke isn't working either. I can set the stroke weight of my linked images, but the changes don't show in my doent.

    Any ideas?
    Rick_Arnaud@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Rick,

    Did you apply the Outline Object effect to the Stroke row in the Appearance palette, as Dean described in post #1?

    There is a file called "Outline Effects demo.ai" illustrating this method and other uses of the Outline Object and Outline Stroke effects in this folder:

    ftp://tpettit.best.vwh.net/AI_10_Style_demos.zip
    Teri Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Teri-

    I can add strokes to shapes or objects that I create but suddenly can't add a stroke to an embedded or linked image once placed in Illy. I've tried my usual method; tried the Appearance --- Add New Stroke but nothing shows on screen. When the image is selected, the Path option under Object Menu only allows for: Average, Simplify, Divide Objects Below, or Clean up....
    Rick_Arnaud@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    As Dean stated in the first post, you need to go under the "effect menu.
    -Scott
    Scott_Koblich@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Scott-

    My mistake, but still no stroke. It's driving me crazy, never had this problem before.

    Trash prefs maybe?
    Rick_Arnaud@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Rick,

    Trash prefs maybe?

    Good guess.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Rick,

    Can you post a screen shot of what your Appearance palette shows when the image is selected?

    It should look like one of the following, depending on whether you want your stroke to be in front of the image or behind it:

    Did you download the demo file I posted a link to?
    Teri Guest

  11. #11

    I did, thank you Teri.

    I'm certain that I was following your directions but still no stroke was being applied to my imported images. I trashed prefs and viola!

    That being said, without your help, I probably still wouldn't have gotten to the correct step.

    Thanks to all, crisis averted!

    Rick
    Rick_Arnaud@adobeforums.com Guest