Professional Web Applications Themes

Studio lightsKits Advice needed - Photography

Hi Does anyone have experience with either SLS 640ML studio kit or Prolinca 500S kit. Am looking at buying one of these (2 head) kits this week. In particular I would be interested in the pros & cons of either kit and possibly any alternative 2 head kits around the 500-600ws per head costing up to around $3000 for the lot. Where to buy in Sydney area? I like the Prolinca for its 1/2600s flash duration and its recycle time (.. and price), and the SLS for its power, price and other features. Thank you BillP...

  1. #1

    Default Studio lightsKits Advice needed

    Hi

    Does anyone have experience with either SLS 640ML studio kit or Prolinca
    500S kit. Am looking at buying one of these (2 head) kits this week.

    In particular I would be interested in the pros & cons of either kit and
    possibly any alternative 2 head kits around the 500-600ws per head costing
    up to around $3000 for the lot.

    Where to buy in Sydney area?

    I like the Prolinca for its 1/2600s flash duration and its recycle time (..
    and price), and the SLS for its power, price and other features.

    Thank you

    BillP

    BillP Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Studio lightsKits Advice needed

    BillP wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Does anyone have experience with either SLS 640ML studio kit or Prolinca
    > 500S kit. Am looking at buying one of these (2 head) kits this week.
    >
    > In particular I would be interested in the pros & cons of either kit and
    > possibly any alternative 2 head kits around the 500-600ws per head costing
    > up to around $3000 for the lot.
    >
    > Where to buy in Sydney area?
    >
    > I like the Prolinca for its 1/2600s flash duration and its recycle time (..
    > and price), and the SLS for its power, price and other features.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > BillP

    I had an Elinchrom 500 (same as prolinca I think isn't it) and I had a
    SLS 540ML.. I recently auction both on ebay to replace with more
    portable set.

    Both were HEAVY flashes.

    OF the two .. I like the SLS best, though they were similar... I liked
    the square shape with the handle back... I particularly like the
    optional sound (pinggggggg) that you could have it make when it fired...
    this was terrific to know that the fill had slaved off the main.
    Have you tried these guys in Wollongong I think
    [url]http://www.madsens.com.au/[/url]
    BRenton

    Brenton Guest

  3. #3

    "BillP" <abigb53hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3f2b88dc$0$26534$afc38c87news.optusnet.com. au>...
    > Hi
    >
    > Does anyone have experience with either SLS 640ML studio kit or Prolinca
    > 500S kit. Am looking at buying one of these (2 head) kits this week.
    >
    > In particular I would be interested in the pros & cons of either kit and
    > possibly any alternative 2 head kits around the 500-600ws per head costing
    > up to around $3000 for the lot.
    >
    > Where to buy in Sydney area?
    >
    > I like the Prolinca for its 1/2600s flash duration and its recycle time (..
    > and price), and the SLS for its power, price and other features.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > BillP
    Bill,

    I was looking at similar thing 3-4 months back.
    I was interested in the Prolinca 500s.. I think the kit (2 Prolinca
    500s with stands, 2 trans. brolly and 1 silver brolly) were about
    $2600 or $2700. Then I saw Brenton's ad on ebay was going to bid for
    them.. but they were all in 4 differen auctions.... that means if i
    want to have the 2 lights and 2 stands.. I would need to win all 4
    auctions.... i hadn't made up my mind then as to if I should bid..
    then i forgot about the closing date and when I checked back.. I was a
    day late and they were gone.

    Anyway, I was going to buy the Prolinca 500s kit here (Melbourne)at
    around $2700.... then someone I know rang from Malaysia and said he
    will be back the week after. So I looked up Elinchrom's web site and
    found the local distributor in Malaysia. Sent and email to them to
    request for a quote for the Prolinca kit, they replied to say they
    don't have Prolinca product, but do have the Elinchrom Style 600s kids
    at aruond AUS $2600. So no price for guessing what lighting kit I now
    have. I am not a pro. and have been using this kit for a couple of
    months.... I like them a lot... I so far have only tried shooting
    portrait with this kid and recycling time is not really a problem for
    me. I triggered it optically (with an external flash on my sony
    DSC-F707). Now my Canon 10D just arrive this week and I am using
    Radio Trigger to trigger these lights nowadays.
    Hope that help and good luck with your purchase.

    Best regards,
    Anon
    anon Guest

  4. #4

    > Bill,
    Then I saw Brenton's ad on ebay was going to bid for
    > them.. but they were all in 4 differen auctions.... that means if i
    > want to have the 2 lights and 2 stands.. I would need to win all 4
    > auctions.... i hadn't made up my mind then as to if I should bid..
    > then i forgot about the closing date and when I checked back.. I was a
    > day late and they were gone.

    Bill.. do you mean that I didn't get as much as I could have :-(

    Seriously though.. from experience... I get more money seperatly than as
    sets (it is a funny quirk with ebay bidders) Though.. I regret the
    sakes very much as I stil have not recieved the lights and did not get
    qas much for the ones I sold as I hoped to or thought they were worth.
    BRenton

    Brenton Guest

  5. #5

    > I was looking at similar thing 3-4 months back.
    > I was interested in the Prolinca 500s.. I think the kit (2 Prolinca
    > 500s with stands, 2 trans. brolly and 1 silver brolly) were about
    > $2600 or $2700. Then I saw Brenton's ad on ebay was going to bid for
    > them.. but they were all in 4 differen auctions.... that means if i
    > want to have the 2 lights and 2 stands.. I would need to win all 4
    > auctions.... i hadn't made up my mind then as to if I should bid..
    > then i forgot about the closing date and when I checked back.. I was a
    > day late and they were gone.
    >
    > Anyway, I was going to buy the Prolinca 500s kit here (Melbourne)at
    > around $2700.... then someone I know rang from Malaysia and said he
    > will be back the week after. So I looked up Elinchrom's web site and
    > found the local distributor in Malaysia. Sent and email to them to
    > request for a quote for the Prolinca kit, they replied to say they
    > don't have Prolinca product, but do have the Elinchrom Style 600s kids
    > at aruond AUS $2600. So no price for guessing what lighting kit I now
    > have. I am not a pro. and have been using this kit for a couple of
    > months.... I like them a lot... I so far have only tried shooting
    > portrait with this kid and recycling time is not really a problem for
    > me.
    Elinchrom Style 600s .... well done. Now if I can make friends with someone
    in Malaysia tonight ....

    But seriously Anon (or anybody), why is the Elinchrom that little more
    expensive. Are they better quality, more/better features or is it just the
    name? I am asking because I really do not know.....I remember seeing the
    name years ago and have always associated studio flash with that name.

    > I triggered it optically (with an external flash on my sony
    > DSC-F707). Now my Canon 10D just arrive this week and I am using
    > Radio Trigger to trigger these lights nowadays.
    > Hope that help and good luck with your purchase.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Anon
    They can't be triggered with a flash unit on the 10D? I remember reading
    somewhere about Canon pre-flash and Slave flash units being triggered before
    the shutter is acually released. I think the solution was to use the Canon
    flash manual mode at low power....difficult with the 420ex but 550ex should
    work OK I think. I remember using the EOS30 with 420ex attached one night
    at the camera club with slave studio flash. Of about 1 roll of film used,
    only got about 3 shots where the slight outlines of the models were
    noticable due to the clearness of the negatives....total
    underexposure.....and everyone else telling me that there photos were great.
    The problem I discovered several months later was probably due to the
    pre-flash setting the studio lights off early, leaving the models in total
    darkness when the shutter was opened for 1/125s....not a good prospect.

    thanks

    BillP

    BillP Guest

  6. #6

    BillP wrote:
    >>I was looking at similar thing 3-4 months back.
    >>I was interested in the Prolinca 500s.. I think the kit (2 Prolinca
    >>500s with stands, 2 trans. brolly and 1 silver brolly) were about
    >>$2600 or $2700. Then I saw Brenton's ad on ebay was going to bid for
    >>them.. but they were all in 4 differen auctions.... that means if i
    >>want to have the 2 lights and 2 stands.. I would need to win all 4
    >>auctions.... i hadn't made up my mind then as to if I should bid..
    >>then i forgot about the closing date and when I checked back.. I was a
    >>day late and they were gone.
    >>
    >>Anyway, I was going to buy the Prolinca 500s kit here (Melbourne)at
    >>around $2700.... then someone I know rang from Malaysia and said he
    >>will be back the week after. So I looked up Elinchrom's web site and
    >>found the local distributor in Malaysia. Sent and email to them to
    >>request for a quote for the Prolinca kit, they replied to say they
    >>don't have Prolinca product, but do have the Elinchrom Style 600s kids
    >>at aruond AUS $2600. So no price for guessing what lighting kit I now
    >>have. I am not a pro. and have been using this kit for a couple of
    >>months.... I like them a lot... I so far have only tried shooting
    >>portrait with this kid and recycling time is not really a problem for
    >>me.
    >

    > Elinchrom Style 600s .... well done. Now if I can make friends with someone
    > in Malaysia tonight ....
    >
    > But seriously Anon (or anybody), why is the Elinchrom that little more
    > expensive. Are they better quality, more/better features or is it just the
    > name? I am asking because I really do not know.....I remember seeing the
    > name years ago and have always associated studio flash with that name.

    Swiss made

    > underexposure.....and everyone else telling me that there photos were great.
    > The problem I discovered several months later was probably due to the
    > pre-flash setting the studio lights off early, leaving the models in total
    > darkness when the shutter was opened for 1/125s....not a good prospect.

    Why do you have to have to use a shutter speed of 125? why not 1/60 or
    even 1/30

    Phone Baltronics and see what they are selling Prolinca 500s I think.

    CR Kennedy are the agent for Bowens.

    ECS have some s/h Bowens stuff.

    Just what do you want to do with the lights? How much power do you want?

    have you researched what's available? What service arrangements do they
    have?

    100 and 1 questions to be asked and answered before you make a decision.

    Who.

    Wiz Guest

  7. #7

    "Scott Coutts" <scott.couttsmed.monash.edu.au> wrote in message
    > Although I don't own any, I've heard only good things about the "alien
    > bees" lights. You have to import them from the US, but the price is
    > good. you can check them out if you're interested at
    >
    > [url]www.alienbees.com[/url]

    I want the B1600 for the price $US360=~$AU650-700 per unit to my door
    including all costs. Not bad buying but due to the time frame I am looking
    at could not risk not getting them in the next week or so.

    BillP

    BillP Guest

  8. #8

    BillP wrote:
    > "Scott Coutts" <scott.couttsmed.monash.edu.au> wrote in message
    >
    >>Although I don't own any, I've heard only good things about the "alien
    >>bees" lights. You have to import them from the US, but the price is
    >>good. you can check them out if you're interested at
    >>
    >>[url]www.alienbees.com[/url]
    >>

    > I want the B1600 for the price $US360=~$AU650-700 per unit to my door
    > including all costs. Not bad buying but due to the time frame I am looking
    > at could not risk not getting them in the next week or so.
    >
    > BillP

    At ECS [url]http://www.europeancameras.com/#[/url]

    Bowens 2K Quadmatic (2000 watt/seconds) Pack #HD91087 c/w 2K Quad Head
    and Powerlead - (Excellent) $650

    Bowens 3K A Quadmatic (3000 watt/seconds, 4 outlet model) Pack and 2x
    High Speed Heads combo #DE326636, #DD3247234, #AD372414 c/w 'S' type
    Maxilite and Grid, Spillkill and leads - (Excellent +) $2495

    Bowens Prolite120 (1000 watt/seconds) c/w S type "Spillkill" and all
    leads..Several available and all with warranty - (Excellent +) $1100

    Bowens Quad 2002 (2000 watt/seconds) Pack #2815EH c/w 2x Quad 2002 Heads
    and Powerlead - (Excellent) $500

    Bowens Quadmatic 3K Spot c/w stand (useable with Elinchrom) - (Excellent
    +) $995

    Hensel Super 2000 (2000 w/s)Monohead #0205112 c/w all Leads -
    (Excellent) $850

    Hensel Vario B Monoflash 800 (800w/s) c/w Leads - (Excellent) $500

    Wiz Guest

  9. #9

    BillP wrote:
    > "Wiz" <wiz> wrote in message news:3F2E5B65.5070905...
    >

    >>Why do you have to have to use a shutter speed of 125? why not 1/60 or
    >>even 1/30
    >>

    > Flash meter reading at (I think) f4. Shots that were taken using a flash
    > shoe sync cord at 1/30s on another system were pin sharp and perfectly
    > exposed. My point was that from what I understand the canon pre-flash fools
    > slaves into premature firing.

    The flash duration is much shorter than the camera shutter speed and
    uses that speed not the cameras speed. it is irrelevant to what shutter
    speed the camera is set as long as its slower than the sync speed.

    Short duration flash will stop the action of sports where you do need
    say 1/1000 sec speed. On camera flashes have an auto thyrister circuit
    (shut up Miro :) ) or something like that which varies the duration of
    the flash to control exposure. This duration can be 1/20000sec at close
    distance which stops the action. Whereas studio flash has a much shorter
    duration which should be checked to see if that suits your needs.

    > Immediately, on location static portraits and group shots.....in the
    > future....? I also have a few model portfolios coming up both female and
    > male.

    Flash duration will not be a problem with this work

    > How much power?
    >
    > I really do not know Wiz. Looking at the price point and other advice I've
    > had, the 500-640j systems are appealling but I really don't know what that
    > equates to in terms of the type of work possible and limitations of that
    > amount of power. To me it's an entry price point to studio flash.

    If you go the table top stuff close up big DOF then you will need the
    power of say 1200j (Ws) but 600 is OK you can always reduce it to your
    requirements.

    > By the way, will a shorter flash duration give me sharper results?

    NO unless see above

    >>have you researched what's available? What service arrangements do they
    >>have?
    >>

    > Not entirely. I think I realise that Flashes ain't Flashes but I looked
    > through a magazine recently that listed dozens of different units and have
    > looked at their features eg. recycle times, power, duration, features etc
    > and also asked locally as to the availability of units hence the two that I
    > asked about.....but no I don't honestly know what's totally out there. I
    > normally study up on something a long time before purchasing, but on this
    > occasion I have tried to cram in the hope that someone could say go and buy
    > XYZ at ABC for the unbelievably unbeatable price of 123.
    >
    > I have not had any free "day" time for quite a while now and have not been
    > able to get out to get some proper hands on buying. As of Wednesday, I am a
    > bit more free but it only gives me a couple of days this week really.

    At this stage suggest that you go and hire a kit from say Baltronics
    (talk to Kelly)= they have run studio workshops on this type of thing.
    for the shoot and see if thats big enough and suit your needs.

    An example:

    I started with a 2400 floor pack 3 heads 2400/3 = 800 max each head,
    softbox and brollies.

    Now mainly use one 1200 and one 500 - reflectors and softbox's.

    Too many lights will give you messy results and that means even 3
    lights. But you have to have sufficient power in just one light to make
    a good setup.

    Have a go with one light /softbox and a reflector. And maybe a small
    backlight of 250ws. to give ~f8.

    Wiz Guest

  10. #10

    Wiz <wiz> wrote in message news:<3F2F3778.4010407>...
    > anon wrote:
    > > "BillP" <abigb53hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3f2e4ae0$0$14563$afc38c87news.optusnet.com. au>...
    > >
    > One thing I am sure of is the way they have made the
    > > measurement. I think they were using anothe standard or something (I
    > > am not really technical here). The guy from Dragon Image showed me a
    > > demo. He place a Elinchrom 500 in a position and move 1m away then
    > > fired the flash at full power and obtained a reading with a Flash
    > > meter. Then took one of his 400, bump it up to full power (400w) then
    > > took a reading with the same meter at the same distance and surely...
    > > his unit was a lot brighter. This proofs that Elinchrom (and I think
    > > there are others too) that do their measurement in a different
    > > standard.
    > >

    > Each manufacturer has there own standard of measurement - and it will
    > depend on the shape and size of the reflector or softbox or.....
    >

    > You have to make sure that what you want to do the lights will be
    > adequate power for the purpose. Usually a soft box is used for some of
    > the best results and for what you want to do. An example is that a large
    > softbox will use up and reduce 2 1/2 stops. So you have to buy lights
    > that will light the subject with that particular light shaper.
    >

    > Buying a 250Ws (joule) light will maybe give you f5.6 at 3m and if you
    > add a softbox - will reduce that by even 1 stop - will f4 suit your
    > shoot DOF etc. and remember that that you are shooting at short distances.
    >
    > Just thoughts!

    I understand what you are saying, but what I've mentioned above was
    done with a standard reflector on both units and no additional light
    modifier (e.g. softbox etc....)were attached when the test was carried
    out. The units were placed on the floor with the light meter placed
    2meter away infront of the flash units. The point I was trying to
    make was that don't just look at the spec. because they are not
    following the same measuring standard. So one has more power listed
    on spec. (like my Elinchcome Style 600s) may actual produce less power
    than one list with slightly less power on spec. (like the 400w flash
    unit this guy has shown me).

    Regards,
    Anon
    anon Guest

  11. #11

    anon wrote:
    > Wiz <wiz> wrote in message news:<3F2F3778.4010407>...
    >
    >>anon wrote:
    >>
    >>>"BillP" <abigb53hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3f2e4ae0$0$14563$afc38c87news.optusnet.com. au>...
    >>>

    >> One thing I am sure of is the way they have made the
    >>
    >>>measurement. I think they were using anothe standard or something (I
    >>>am not really technical here). The guy from Dragon Image showed me a
    >>>demo. He place a Elinchrom 500 in a position and move 1m away then
    >>>fired the flash at full power and obtained a reading with a Flash
    >>>meter. Then took one of his 400, bump it up to full power (400w) then
    >>>took a reading with the same meter at the same distance and surely...
    >>>his unit was a lot brighter. This proofs that Elinchrom (and I think
    >>>there are others too) that do their measurement in a different
    >>>standard.
    >>>

    >>Each manufacturer has there own standard of measurement - and it will
    >>depend on the shape and size of the reflector or softbox or.....
    >>

    >>You have to make sure that what you want to do the lights will be
    >>adequate power for the purpose. Usually a soft box is used for some of
    >>the best results and for what you want to do. An example is that a large
    >>softbox will use up and reduce 2 1/2 stops. So you have to buy lights
    >>that will light the subject with that particular light shaper.
    >>

    >>Buying a 250Ws (joule) light will maybe give you f5.6 at 3m and if you
    >>add a softbox - will reduce that by even 1 stop - will f4 suit your
    >>shoot DOF etc. and remember that that you are shooting at short distances.
    >>
    >>Just thoughts!
    >

    > I understand what you are saying, but what I've mentioned above was
    > done with a standard reflector on both units and no additional light
    > modifier

    Even a "standard reflectors" are different between manufactures.

    (e.g. softbox etc....)were attached when the test was carried
    > out. The units were placed on the floor with the light meter placed
    > 2meter away infront of the flash units. The point I was trying to
    > make was that don't just look at the spec. because they are not
    > following the same measuring standard.

    Thats true

    So one has more power listed
    > on spec. (like my Elinchcome Style 600s) may actual produce less power
    > than one list with slightly less power on spec. (like the 400w flash
    > unit this guy has shown me).

    Yep
    > Regards,
    > Anon