Professional Web Applications Themes

StuffIt 8.0 corrupts archives produced in 7.03? - Mac Applications & Software

We are getting complaints from customers about corrupted .sit downloads on OS X that are unstuffed with version 8.0 (archives were produced with 7.03). Is anyone else receiving the same complaints? I do not care to upgrade to a new version of StuffIt just to identify and work around bugs. Thanks, --- Michael McCulloch...

  1. #1

    Default StuffIt 8.0 corrupts archives produced in 7.03?

    We are getting complaints from customers about corrupted .sit
    downloads on OS X that are unstuffed with version 8.0 (archives were
    produced with 7.03).

    Is anyone else receiving the same complaints?

    I do not care to upgrade to a new version of StuffIt just to identify
    and work around bugs.

    Thanks,
    ---
    Michael McCulloch
    Michael Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: StuffIt 8.0 corrupts archives produced in 7.03?

    Michael McCulloch <invalid.net> wrote:

    Could this be the same old same old bug where executables aren't
    executable? If so, 8.0.1 fixes it.

    I would not care to be one of your "customers", then. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    matt Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:13:38 GMT, com (matt neuburg)
    wrote:

    Thanks for the tip. How in the world could that bug escape testing?

    >I would not care to be one of your "customers", then. m.[/ref]

    That's a strange attitude. Why would my estimation of the value of a
    StuffIt upgrade have anything to do with the value of my product?

    ---
    Michael McCulloch
    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    In article <com>,
    Michael McCulloch <invalid.net> wrote:

    I think I am seeing this. I am downloading Binaries from several
    groups, and the resulting .hqx files are not recognized by Stuffit Delux
    8 (says that they are in an unrecognizable format), but I get the same
    results from Stuffit Delux 7 and 7.0.3 (corrupded common Prefs maybe?).
    Rosetta 1.4 and 1.6 decode the .hqx files fin though....
    Slartibartfast Guest

  5. #5

    Michael McCulloch <invalid.net> wrote:

    > Thanks for the tip. How in the world could that bug escape testing?

    > >I would not care to be one of your "customers", then. m.[/ref]
    >
    > That's a strange attitude. Why would my estimation of the value of a
    > StuffIt upgrade have anything to do with the value of my product?[/ref]

    Well, you say you're distributing a product, yet you don't care enough
    to look into the situation with a utility on which the distribution of
    your product depends. I agree that the StuffIt bug is reprehensible, but
    as long as you're going to use StuffIt and not .dmg or .tgz or
    something, the responsibility is yours if something goes wrong with it.
    Instead, you diss your customers for upgrading. m.

  6. #6

    In article <com>, Michael
    McCulloch <invalid.net> wrote:

    > Thanks for the tip. How in the world could that bug escape testing?[/ref]

    it was put there at apple's request.

    <http://www.aladdinsys.com/support/techsupport/qanda.php?id=534&sessioni
    d=326%0D46>

    Q: I have a .sit file containing an application, installer, or script
    that I expanded with Stuffit Deluxe or Standard 8.0.0. When I try the
    launch the application nothing happens. How can I fix this?

    A: At the request of Apple, Aladdin made a change to how Stuffit Deluxe
    and Standard 8.0 behaved in the above situation.
    nospam Guest

  7. #7

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 02:15:04 GMT, com (matt neuburg)
    wrote:

    I try to spend my money wisely. Buying an upgrade to StuffIt isn't
    high on my priority list. I'll spend that money on Panther instead
    which is of likely more importance to my customers.

    Nah, I provide an alternative download in DMG format for those that
    report back with problems. Nevertheless, the issue wastes my and my
    customers' time.

    I would distribute the DMG as the default if it didn't do the
    decompress to a "temp disk". Newbies generally have no clue what a
    temp disk is and simply leave the files there to have them disappear
    the next time they logout or restart.

    (I know about the "Internet flag" for DMG files but they don't work on
    all versions of OS X. Neither do .sitx archives. The whole thing is
    generally a mess IMO.)

    ---
    Michael McCulloch
    Michael Guest

  8. #8

    In article <com>,
    Michael McCulloch <invalid.net> wrote:

    The only bug is the archivers being idiots and using a format (sit) that
    does not support permissions in MaxOS X. If they had been using sitx like
    aladdin had subjested we would not be having this problem.
    Bruce Guest

  9. #9

    In article <com>,
    Michael McCulloch <invalid.net> wrote:

    > I try to spend my money wisely. Buying an upgrade to StuffIt isn't
    > high on my priority list. I'll spend that money on Panther instead
    > which is of likely more importance to my customers.

    > Nah, I provide an alternative download in DMG format for those that
    > report back with problems. Nevertheless, the issue wastes my and my
    > customers' time.
    >
    > I would distribute the DMG as the default if it didn't do the
    > decompress to a "temp disk". Newbies generally have no clue what a
    > temp disk is and simply leave the files there to have them disappear
    > the next time they logout or restart.
    >
    > (I know about the "Internet flag" for DMG files but they don't work on
    > all versions of OS X. Neither do .sitx archives. The whole thing is
    > generally a mess IMO.)[/ref]

    While it is true that .dmg and .sitx archives don't work on pre-10.1.5 OS X
    given the ever expanding number of programs that need 10.2.x why is that
    even an issue? The reality is that 10.2 (and now 10.3) added a lot of
    things programmers could use. Furthermore if you are writing a program
    that uses hooks not even in 10.1.x than .sitx not expandign on that version
    of OS X is a nonissue.
    Bruce Guest

  10. #10

    >>> I do not care to upgrade to a new version of StuffIt just to
    >>
    >> I would not care to be one of your "customers", then. m.[/ref]
    >
    > That's a strange attitude. Why would my estimation of the value of a
    > StuffIt upgrade have anything to do with the value of my product?[/ref]

    I have to agree with Michael. Anyone with "customers" should be fully armed.
    Such costs are simply a part of the cost of business.

    Tim Guest

  11. #11

    In <zianet.com> Bruce Grubb wrote:

    > The only bug is the archivers being idiots and using a format (sit)
    > that does not support permissions in MaxOS X. If they had been using
    > sitx like aladdin had subjested we would not be having this problem.[/ref]

    Ain't that kinda backwards. Actually, Aladdin often gets it backwards.
    They should support all of the features that OSX does, the tail doesn't
    wag the dog.

    Frankly, it is time to give up on Aladdin and 3rd party proprietary
    compression schemes all together. Nobody likes it when MS pulls this
    stuff.

    By next weekend there will be other options built in to OSX so don't
    bother
    buying 8.0. Tell Aladdin to "Stuff It".
    Robert Guest

  12. #12

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:58:31 -0600, Bruce Grubb <com>
    wrote:

    My app runs on 10.1.x and I have customers running it that have
    ordered it. Therefore, .sitx is a complication. Not everyone has
    upgraded to Jaguar or even the last 10.1.x update. I'm sure you also
    find that hard to understand.

    I repeat: the whole compression format thing on OS X is a mess --
    there is not one format that will unpack on every version of OS X or
    StuffIt. I don't have time to ask a bazillion questions of every user
    just trying to figure out why a file won't unpack properly. It's a
    support nightmare and not something I've ever had to worry with for PC
    customers.

    ---
    Michael McCulloch
    Michael Guest

  13. #13

    In article <com>,
    Michael McCulloch <invalid.net> wrote:

    > My app runs on 10.1.x and I have customers running it that have
    > ordered it. Therefore, .sitx is a complication. Not everyone has
    > upgraded to Jaguar or even the last 10.1.x update. I'm sure you also
    > find that hard to understand.[/ref]

    Given that I am running 10.2.6 on an unsupported Mac (a 6500/180 with a
    Sonnet G4 card) I *do* find that hard to understand. Of course I am the
    sort of person who pushed their poor IIsi into the land of MacOS 9.1.

    This is not a new issue. The Stuffit 2.0-3.0 to 4.0-5.0 transition had
    much the same problem - some of the 2.0 formats were not expandable by 4.0
    and 5.0 and of course 2.0 and 3.0 knew nothing about the new 4.0-5.0 format.

    Bazillion questions? Get real there are TWO questions that deal with this:

    1) What version of OS X are you running?

    2) What version of Stiffit Expander are you using?

    I should mention that Stuffit 7.0.x expands sitx files and it can run
    MacOSes as far back as MacOS 8.6. If nothing else the 10.0.0 to 10.1.4
    crowd can fire up Classic and expand the sitx file via Stuffit 7.0 that way.

    So there IS a Stuffit format that is expandable on every version of OS X as
    well as 9.x and 8.6: sitx. Come back when you have a REAL issue.
    Bruce Guest

  14. #14

    I think I heard that 10.3 has zip 'built in', can we not move to that
    and be done with it? If not why not?
    stamp Guest

  15. #15

    stamp <pp.p> wrote:

    10.2 has zip 'built in'. Open Terminal, type zip and return. Good luck
    with resource forks, though. m.

  16. #16

    In article <221020031633270442%pp.p>, stamp <pp.p> wrote:

    !0.2 has zip built in but like standard zip it does NOT support resource
    forks. So carbon based prgrams would not work without modifications to the
    format such as Macbinary. But AFAICT Macbinary III doesn't support Unix
    permisions so you would ba right back with the same problems with sit.

    Sitx can be expanded all the way back to MacOS 8.6 so why are Mac
    developers being window programmer level stupid and continuing to use sit?
    Bruce Guest

  17. #17

    Thanks for the info.

    In article <zianet.com>, Bruce Grubb
    <com> wrote:

    > !0.2 has zip built in but like standard zip it does NOT support resource
    > forks. So carbon based prgrams would not work without modifications to the
    > format such as Macbinary. But AFAICT Macbinary III doesn't support Unix
    > permisions so you would ba right back with the same problems with sit.
    >
    > Sitx can be expanded all the way back to MacOS 8.6 so why are Mac
    > developers being window programmer level stupid and continuing to use sit?[/ref]
    stamp Guest