Professional Web Applications Themes

Stupid ASCII loader prompt - FreeBSD

hello i find that loader prompt very frustrating: 1. it is *VERY* unprofessional 2. having that demon in there, it invites evil into my world 3. it's bad for my image too, when other people see it, they laugh and go: "is THAT your supersystem? blah" somebody please tell me, how do i remove it? i don't want anything to do with it. thanks, -- fafa -- __________________________________________________ _________ Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm...

  1. #1

    Default Stupid ASCII loader prompt

    hello

    i find that loader prompt very frustrating:

    1. it is *VERY* unprofessional
    2. having that demon in there, it invites evil into my world
    3. it's bad for my image too, when other people see it,
    they laugh and go:

    "is THAT your supersystem? blah"

    somebody please tell me, how do i remove it?
    i don't want anything to do with it.

    thanks,
    -- fafa

    Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
    http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm

    Fafa Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Stupid ASCII loader prompt

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 05:06:40 -0500, Fafa Diliha Romanova
    <com> wrote:

    tooo late...by using FreeBSD you've already invited "evil" into your world...:))
    check this link to see the bad thing you did....
    http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/daemon.html

    the best solution is to use fdisk...
    Daniel Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 05:06:40AM -0500, Fafa Diliha Romanova wrote:

    I don't see much difference between seeing a giant daemon, a giant window,
    and a giant apple on startup.

    It's not a demon, but a daemon.

    All my friends think it's so much cooler than that penguin they used to
    see.

    All that aside, I think putting beastie_disable="YES" in
    /boot/loader.conf will do the trick.

    --
    I sense much NT in you.
    NT leads to Bluescreen.

    Fingerprint: CEE1 AAE2 F66C 59B5 34CA C415 6D35 E847 0118 A3D2

    Loren Guest

  4. #4

    Thank you!

    Like the words of a blind man.

    demon
    n 1: one of the evil spirits of traditional Jewish and Christian
    belief [syn: {devil}, {fiend}, {daemon}, {daimon}]

    Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

    Excellent! THANK YOU! :)

    Such a thing cannot be centralized to rc.conf instead?

  5. #5

    * Fafa Diliha Romanova [2005-03-13 05:41 -0500]

    > demon
    > n 1: one of the evil spirits of traditional Jewish and Christian
    > belief [syn: {devil}, {fiend}, {daemon}, {daimon}][/ref]

    Firstly, I'd like to say that you of course are free to remove the "devil"
    if it offends you. But that beeing said; the fact that the word "deamon"
    (or "demon" for that matter) is used in some contexts to mean something
    evil, does not necessarily make the word (or the image of it) evil too.
    It's all about what connotation you put on the word.

    E.g. to make a file world read-writable you would type "chmod 666 file".
    Even though the number 666 is the number of the devil, the number itself
    is not evil. Just as little as the command is evil, or someone who types
    it. It's just a number. Put whatever meaning into it you like!

    (If, on the other hand, you would put the number inside a pentagram
    written in blood on some dark stone alter, I would not think the number
    was meant to be harmless by the writer.)

    Originally "daemon" just meant something like "spirit". Then it became a
    certain kind (an evil one) of spirit in some religions. In other places
    and other contexts (i.e. the FreeBSD community, et.al) that transformation
    does however not hold true! This makes it irrelevant to bring up these
    dictionary "definitions", as they both are all equally true and false. The
    dictionary does not define a language, it describes it's use. If "deamon"
    in some groups is used to mean "evil spirit", while in others to mean
    spirit as in "servant", they are both true!

    However, noone can deny the fact that Beastie *could* be interpreted as an
    image of something evil, and that it often does. One should therefore be
    careful when using the Beastie before an audience you don't know.

    (That beeing said, one could never be guaranteed not to offend anyone. The
    apple could easily be thought of as a symbol of the original sin. And the
    window I'm sure could also be interpreted in some way that would offend
    someone. This is especially true for words and names, where a word could
    means something completely different in two languages.)

    Svein Halvor
    Svein Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Chris Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    On Sunday 13 March 2005 11:06, Fafa Diliha Romanova wrote:

    What is the daemon doing to that funny penguin?

    http://gbraad.spotsnel.nl/images/takeittux.png

    --

    "The ability of the OSS process to collect and harness
    the collective IQ of thousands of individuals across

  8. #8

    Luyt wrote:

    >What is the daemon doing to that funny penguin?
    >
    > http://gbraad.spotsnel.nl/images/takeittux.png
    >

    >[/ref]
    If Fafa is so put out about the Daemon, then Fafa, you are free to use
    another OS. Don't go on a wholier then thou crusade and change something
    that YOU take offense to. We have a saying here in the States, if you
    don't like whats on the TV or radio, you are free to change the
    statrion. Do not change the format because you take issue with it, YOU
    change to something that suits your likes.

    Now as to the above link - Was that really needed?

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    PGP Fingerprint = D976 2575 D0B4 E4B0 45CC AA09 0F93 FF80 C01B C363

    Chris Guest

  9. #9

    On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 04:47:17PM +0100, Luyt wrote:

    > What is the daemon doing to that funny penguin?
    >
    > http://gbraad.spotsnel.nl/images/takeittux.png[/ref]

    I don't think that things like this really reflect the good side of the
    BSD community. Though I think there's at least as much, if not more
    coming from the Linux community, we don't need to do it.

  10. #10

    At 5:06 AM -0500 3/13/05, Fafa Diliha Romanova wrote:

    For what it's worth, the default for displaying that image
    has changed for freebsd 6.x.

    --
    Garance Alistair Drosehn = netel.rpi.edu
    Senior Systems Programmer or org

  11. #11

    Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:
    [...]

    Ah, but you are talking in octal!

    % perl -le 'print oct 666'
    438

    No evil here :)

    Q.E.D. (my apologies for keeping such a silly thread alive)

    ObTopic: I think the OP was quite within his/her rights about wanting to
    disable the ASCII-art da?emon, yet wishing to continue to use FreeBSD. I
    find it pretty silly myself.

    I also note that FreeBSD understands 'tail -100 -F' and Linux (gnu
    fileutils?) doesn't. The devil is in the details, as it were.

    A chorus of "reformat your disk and use something else you lowlife moron
    without a sense of humour" does little to advance the cause.

    David

    David Guest

  12. #12

    You shouldn't use FreeBSD then, it is full of evil demons that will take
    over your system on the first chance they get.. :)

    - Guest

  13. #13

    No, that's not very helpful response.
    If a person has this much difficulty understanding things
    and assuming religious significance where there is none,
    then he already has enough problems and doesn't need your
    ridicule.

    So, just have patience and even though it is a frequent repeat,
    help him remove the bits of graphics he doesn't like. You would
    do the same if it was some other splash screen, so don't you make
    it a religious issue yourself in refusing to treat it just like
    any other similar bit of graphics or text.

    ////jerry

    Jerry Guest

  14. #14

    On Sunday 13 March 2005 15:47, Luyt wrote:

    > What is the daemon doing to that funny penguin?
    >
    > http://gbraad.spotsnel.nl/images/takeittux.png[/ref]

    LOL, that would make a great "FreeBSD inside" sticker
    RW Guest

  15. #15

    On Sunday 13 March 2005 02:06 am, Fafa Diliha Romanova wrote:

    Best way to remove the little fella it is to load a different OS. Try
    out Microsoft's products, they are supposedly "PC".

    -Mike
    Michael Guest

  16. #16

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
     [/ref]

    As opposed to? The multi-colored Windows? The Penguin? The fish?
     [/ref]

    I highly doubt that one...
     [/ref]

    Then change your friends... Seems like they may be a bit on the immature
    side.

    > Best way to remove the little fella it is to load a different OS. Try
    > out Microsoft's products, they are supposedly "PC".
    >
    > -Mike[/ref]

    Either that or wait till 5.4 is out. I'm somewhat certain that the lil guy
    isnt in 6.0, and it may not be in 5.4

    Just my few pennies woith

    Best regards,

    Chris
    RacerX Guest

  17. #17

    Mike, he said he didn't want to invite Evil into his world...

    Ted

    Ted Guest

  18. #18

    On Thursday 17 March 2005 07:31 am, you wrote: [/ref]

    > As opposed to? The multi-colored Windows? The Penguin? The fish?
    > [/ref]
    >
    > I highly doubt that one...
    > [/ref]
    >
    > Then change your friends... Seems like they may be a bit on the
    > immature side.

    > > Best way to remove the little fella it is to load a different OS.
    > > Try out Microsoft's products, they are supposedly "PC".
    > >
    > > -Mike[/ref]
    >
    > Either that or wait till 5.4 is out. I'm somewhat certain that the
    > lil guy isnt in 6.0, and it may not be in 5.4
    >
    > Just my few pennies woith
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Chris[/ref]

    adding my $0.02 to the pot

    I hope FreeBSD folks have more pride in their product than
    to allow a few malcontents cause a logo change. If bestie goes
    AWOL so may I. Using a product when its own designers won't
    stick by it seams unwise.

    -Mike

    Michael Guest

  19. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ted Guest
    Moderated Post

  20. #20

    Michael C. Shultz wrote:

    For what values of "it"? FreeBSD is an operating system,
    not a logo. Most people's decision to use the OS aren't
    based on its mascot, I would hope.

    FBSD has close ties with the "Beastie" artwork, to be sure; but
    saying that the "designers won't stick by it" when referring
    to artwork (rather than a "work of art" --- that is, the system itself)
    is a emotionally biased statement. Not that such is inappropriate,
    but to contend that FreeBSD isn't worthy to use because of
    contention over "marketing" type issues also *seems* unwise....

    KDK
    Kevin Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast