Professional Web Applications Themes

Stupid newbie question re website hit counting - PERL Miscellaneous

Once a month, I run a (mostly perl) script that reads my all my webserver log files and tallies hits to several webpages. However, I have always wondered about the accuracy of these counts. Specifically, if a reader has been to a page before, has this page in his browser cache and surfs to that URL, does the log still register that hit with the usual status code (200)? Does it register it at all? Thanks in advance for any tips. -- Mike McLaughlin...

  1. #1

    Default Stupid newbie question re website hit counting

    --
    Mike McLaughlin

    Michael McLaughlin Guest

  2. #2

    "Michael McLaughlin" <mpmclmitre.org> wrote in message
    > Once a month, I run a (mostly perl) script that reads my all my
    > webserver log files and tallies hits to several webpages. However, I
    > have always wondered about the accuracy of these counts.
    >
    > Specifically, if a reader has been to a page before, has this page in
    > his browser cache and surfs to that URL, does the log still register
    > that hit with the usual status code (200)? Does it register it at all?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any tips.
    >
    > --
    > Mike McLaughlin

    This is a perl newsgroup, not a webserver newsgroup or HTTP newsgroup, and
    as such this post is quite off-topic.

    Additionally, the logging of requests in your webserver's logs are dependent
    upon which server you are using (you neglected to post that information),
    and how it is configured. However, in general an unmodified doent that is
    in the browser cache will be logged as a 304, not a 200. It will be logged
    as a 200 if it is actually fetched from the server. For more information
    about this I suggest that you look at this doent:
    [url]http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html[/url]

    Gabriel

    Gabriel Reid Guest

  3. #3

    Michael McLaughlin wrote:
    > Once a month, I run a (mostly perl) script that reads my all my
    > webserver log files and tallies hits to several webpages. However, I
    > have always wondered about the accuracy of these counts.
    >
    > Specifically, if a reader has been to a page before, has this page in
    > his browser cache and surfs to that URL, does the log still register
    > that hit with the usual status code (200)? Does it register it at all?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any tips.
    What does this have to do with perl? If you're curious, visit your site
    and watch your log to see if it logs it or not.

    J. Gleixner Guest

  4. #4

    "Michael McLaughlin" <mpmclmitre.org> wrote in message
    > Once a month, I run a (mostly perl) script that reads my all my
    > webserver log files and tallies hits to several webpages. However, I
    > have always wondered about the accuracy of these counts.
    >
    > Specifically, if a reader has been to a page before, has this page in
    > his browser cache and surfs to that URL, does the log still register
    > that hit with the usual status code (200)? Does it register it at all?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any tips.

    While your post is off topic, your subject line is spot on: It truely is a
    stupid question, EVEN for a newbie -- to ask regarding website hit counting
    on a Perl Usenet group. The subject line would be inaccurate, had the post
    been directed to the appropriate Usenet group, for in the appropriate group,
    it is not a stupid thing to ask.

    I won't even go into why I hate the term newbie.

    Whatever happened to the good old days when "newbies" took a little time to
    understand Usenet before learning how to run webservers? I'll say it again,
    because a *stupid* "newbie" might not understand what a smart "newbie" would
    have picked up on: You're asking a webserver question, not a Perl question.

    David Oswald Guest