Professional Web Applications Themes

Stupid printing question - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have set my page margins at 1/2 inch. However, when my 8 1/2 x 11 inch doent prints on my HP 940c, it doesn't print the margins...it prints the entire page even outside the margins. I'm using InDesign CS. What setting am I missing that will make it print just what is inside the margins? Any help would be appreciated! I know this has to be easy and I'm just missing it, but I've been looking for 2 days! Thanks! Lorie...

  1. #1

    Default Stupid printing question

    lorbethm@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Stupid printing question

    Stupid printing question

    Lorie,

    The page margins in the doent set-up window merely tell InDesign where to place the margin rulers. That way it knows where to place the automatic text box on the master page (if you are using one). It does not, however, control anything about what prints or does not print. In that respect, InDesign's margins are not the same thing as your printer margins. If you have an item on the page outside the ID doent margins, it will print just like anything that appears inside the margins would.

    Having said that, a trick to accomplish what you are looking for is to make a new layer on top and place white boxes on all four sides, effectively masking off the margin areas. You may show or hide this layer at your pleasure and it won't affect any of your elements that bleed into the margin area.

    Hope that helps.
    Clay
    Clay_Fowler@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you!! I appreciate your quick help. :-) That is a really y way to do something, but at least it will work now!

  4. #4

    I haven't worked much with the bleed function in InDesign, and this would probably only work with a new doent, but I think you could make your page size the print area you want, and add a bleed area around it, which you can choose to print or not print.

    As clay said, the margins are really only guides.
    Lisa_Spike@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I'm new to InDesign, so my apologies for the newbie question:

    How do I make the margins appear?

    It seems like it should be a simple task, but I can't get that magenta box to appear on the master pages (or regular pages) and without that box, I'm having a tough time getting the headings to line up in from one page to the next.

    T.I.A.,
    Jason
    Jason Hughes Guest

  6. #6

    View > Show Guides

    Or Ctrl-;
    Alan_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Or you might be in preview mode. The buttons on the bottom of the tool palette toggle between "normal" and "preview" mode. (As does the keyboard shortcut which is "w", it's easy to hit this acidentally and not know what you've done.)
    Lisa_Spike@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Yup. View > Show Guides worked. I knew it would be something simple like that. Thanks for your help.
    Jason Hughes Guest