Professional Web Applications Themes

Stupid question: how to scale from center? - Macromedia Freehand

Hello! May be I should read the manual again, but I still didn't discover an easy way to scale any object from its center. Suppose I have an arbitrary path, not a basic shape such as ellipse or rectangle. To scale it from its center I first group it, then drag one of the appeared corner handles with the Alt pressed, then ungroup it again. I know that it's possible to do with the Scale tool avoiding the group/ungroup steps, but it requires me first to click to set the center of transformation, and what if I need to scale ...

  1. #1

    Default Stupid question: how to scale from center?

    Hello!

    May be I should read the manual again, but I still didn't discover an easy way to scale any object from its center.

    Suppose I have an arbitrary path, not a basic shape such as ellipse or rectangle. To scale it from its center I first group it, then drag one of the appeared corner handles with the Alt pressed, then ungroup it again. I know that it's possible to do with the Scale tool avoiding the group/ungroup steps, but it requires me first to click to set the center of transformation, and what if I need to scale exactly from center of the object?

    netdiver webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Stupid question: how to scale from center?

    netdiver wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > May be I should read the manual again, but I still didn't discover an easy way
    > to scale any object from its center.
    I was going to tell you that yes, you should read the manual. You know what,
    I just went to FHMX Help files and can't find the information you need.
    > Suppose I have an arbitrary path, not a basic shape such as ellipse or
    > rectangle. To scale it from its center I first group it, then drag one of the
    > appeared corner handles with the Alt pressed, then ungroup it again. I know
    > that it's possible to do with the Scale tool avoiding the group/ungroup steps,
    > but it requires me first to click to set the center of transformation, and
    > what if I need to scale exactly from center of the object?
    No, no. Don't drag from corners of groups.

    1. Select your group.
    2. Scale tool. Press Control-Shift (Mac), probably Alt-Shift (Win), and
    drag. The Control key tells the scale tool to scale from center.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    It seems like a little misunderstanding between us. I've only tried to discover whether I really overlooked a way to transform a path from its center without grouping it before and ungrouping it next.

    Because after some playing with FH and reading its manual I figured that the only way to transform something from its very center is 1) to make sure the object is grouped (if not, just group it alone with nothing else); 2) drag any corner handle with Alt pressed (thus scaling from the center, not from the opposite corner; Shift as always could be used to constraints proportions); 3) ungroup the path.

    It doesn't work with other ways of scaling because the pressed Alt key tells Freehand to make a scaled copy of the object rather then to scale the original itself from its center. Seems like an minor inconsistency ;-) BTW the Control key does nothing when scaling.

    I assume that there was an intention to keep the functions of modifier keys the same for every operation, and thus the Shift should constrain (and it always does), Alt should duplicate (and it does nearly always ;-) ), and Control should select whether to apply an operation from corner/edge or from the center (and it never does). May be a bug? Or am I wrong?

    Anyway I'm greatly appreciate your attention to my thorough investigations ;-)

  4. #4

    Have you tried Control-drag with the SCALE TOOL? It sounds to me like you're
    trying to scale with the pointer tool instead of the Scale Tool.

    The selection of items does not have to be grouped. Use the Scale Tool,
    pressing the Control key. This works on the Mac, anyway.

    Did I remind you to use the SCALE TOOL?

    Judy Arndt

    netdiver wrote:
    > It seems like a little misunderstanding between us. I've only tried to
    > discover whether I really overlooked a way to transform a path from its center
    > without grouping it before and ungrouping it next.
    >
    > Because after some playing with FH and reading its manual I figured that the
    > only way to transform something from its very center is 1) to make sure the
    > object is grouped (if not, just group it alone with nothing else); 2) drag any
    > corner handle with Alt pressed (thus scaling from the center, not from the
    > opposite corner; Shift as always could be used to constraints proportions); 3)
    > ungroup the path.
    >
    > It doesn't work with other ways of scaling because the pressed Alt key tells
    > Freehand to make a scaled copy of the object rather then to scale the original
    > itself from its center. Seems like an minor inconsistency ;-) BTW the Control
    > key does nothing when scaling.
    >
    > I assume that there was an intention to keep the functions of modifier keys
    > the same for every operation, and thus the Shift should constrain (and it
    > always does), Alt should duplicate (and it does nearly always ;-) ), and
    > Control should select whether to apply an operation from corner/edge or from
    > the center (and it never does). May be a bug? Or am I wrong?
    >
    > Anyway I'm greatly appreciate your attention to my thorough investigations ;-)
    >
    > netdiver wrote:
    >
    >> Hello!
    >>> May be I should read the manual again, but I still didn't discover an easy
    >>> way
    >> to scale any object from its center.
    >
    > I was going to tell you that yes, you should read the manual. You know what,
    > I just went to FHMX Help files and can't find the information you need.
    >
    >> Suppose I have an arbitrary path, not a basic shape such as ellipse or
    >> rectangle. To scale it from its center I first group it, then drag one of the
    >> appeared corner handles with the Alt pressed, then ungroup it again. I know
    >> that it's possible to do with the Scale tool avoiding the group/ungroup
    >> steps,
    >> but it requires me first to click to set the center of transformation, and
    >> what if I need to scale exactly from center of the object?
    >
    > No, no. Don't drag from corners of groups.
    >
    > 1. Select your group.
    > 2. Scale tool. Press Control-Shift (Mac), probably Alt-Shift (Win), and
    > drag. The Control key tells the scale tool to scale from center.
    >
    > Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  5. #5

    Sure I have tried the Control with Scale tool. But it seems to be broken in FHMX 11.0.1 on Windows, just like the single-letter hotkeys for selecting tools ;-)

    Indeed it seems to me I've explored every possible approach to scale a path -- using Scale tool, using Transformation handles, and using group's corner handles. And every possible combination of modifier keys along with these methods. And the Control seems to have no effect at all. I've even tried to press the Control before starting the drag, and after starting the drag -- with no luck. If I press the Control key before starting drag, the current tool swithes to the Pointer tool and thus I got only move not scale. And if I start the dragging without modifiers and then press the Control key, it does nothing.

    Alas :-(

    Though I've already discovered some very nice features of using together FH and FW. And I hope the overall gain could repay such shortcomings for me. Anyway I've found the workaround of "temporary grouping the path."

    And once again, thanks for your attention!

    netdiver webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    netdiver wrote:
    > If I press the Control key before starting drag, the current tool swithes to
    > the Pointer tool and thus I got only move not scale. And if I start the
    > dragging without modifiers and then press the Control key, it does nothing.
    It should me the Command key, not the Control key, switching other tools to
    the Pointer. What keyboard and keyboard layout are you using?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  7. #7

    Please note I'm using PC with Windows. And my Control key on the PC corresponds to your Command key on the Mac.

    netdiver webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  8. #8

    "netdiver" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > Please note I'm using PC with Windows. And my Control key on the PC corresponds to your Command key on the Mac.

    Ugh... sorry for getting to this thread so late. Try this in Windows
    using the Transform Handles:

    With the Transform Handles activated, Right-click and drag (Windows) or
    hold down the Control key when dragging (Macintosh) to resize the object
    from its true center.

    You can even use the Shift+modifier combo to scale proportionately.

    Cheers!

    --
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    remove "_nospam_" to send email

    Ian Kelleigh
    [email]Ian_nospam_FreeHandSource.com[/email]

    "The FreeHand Source"
    [url]http://www.FreeHandSource.com[/url]

    Ian Kelleigh Guest

  9. #9

    Yes!!! That was the one I didn't even thought of! That really is a carefully hidden little treasure! Now my work will be done faster thanks to your hint. Thank you very much!

    Also my thanks flies to Judy who helped me to not to lost a hope in that quest!

    netdiver webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest