Professional Web Applications Themes

Stupid "Time & Date" scheduling question - Mac Applications & Software

Not to sound obsessed with time, but another stupid Time question. I used to be able to set Macs under OS 9 to synchronize Date & Time to the Apple Americas network time server on a schedule (every 24 yrs, for example). I don't seem to be able to do that under OS X (10.2). Is there a way to do that? I know the answer is simple and in front of my face. Feeling stupid in advance, Doug...

  1. #1

    Default Stupid "Time & Date" scheduling question

    Not to sound obsessed with time, but another stupid Time question. I used to
    be able to set Macs under OS 9 to synchronize Date & Time to the Apple
    Americas network time server on a schedule (every 24 yrs, for example). I
    don't seem to be able to do that under OS X (10.2). Is there a way to do
    that?

    I know the answer is simple and in front of my face. Feeling stupid in
    advance,

    Doug

    H. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Stupid "Time & Date" scheduling question

    In article <hawaii.rr.com>,
    H. Doug Matsuoka <rr.com> wrote:

    Yes, with the Date and Time panel in system preferences; under the
    Network Time tab.

    But I sync with time-a.nist.gov instead.

    --Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  3. #3

    I see a button to "Set Time Now" but I don't see a way to set my computer to
    synchronize to the time server on a schedule (every 24 hrs for example) the
    way I could under OS 9.

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:15:07 -1000, Michelle Steiner wrote
    (in message <west.cox.net>):

    > Yes, with the Date and Time panel in system preferences; under the
    > Network Time tab.
    >
    > But I sync with time-a.nist.gov instead.
    >
    > --Michelle
    >
    >[/ref]

    H. Guest

  4. #4

    In article <hawaii.rr.com>,
    H. Doug Matsuoka <rr.com> wrote:

    Double-click on the displayed name of the time server and type in the
    name of the new one. I use "nist1.datum.com".

    > > Yes, with the Date and Time panel in system preferences; under the
    > > Network Time tab.
    > >
    > > But I sync with time-a.nist.gov instead.
    > >
    > > --Michelle
    > >
    > >[/ref]

    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  5. #5

    In <hawaii.rr.com> H. Doug
    Matsuoka wrote:

    Just select "Use a network time server" at the top of the window. As
    long as you have that enabled it will periodically update the time. I
    don't know how often it updates, I would guess once a day.

    The button "Set Time Now" immediately checks the time server, whether or
    not it's set to automatically check.

    PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz
    Roger Guest

  6. #6

    In article <west.cox.net>, Michelle
    Steiner <org> wrote:

    Is there some way of getting a non-Apple server to "stick" in the
    panel? It seems that if I enter a server (time-a.nist.gov, for
    example), the enter yet another one, I can't select the first one from
    the pop-up list. It just disappears.
    Lot-o-fun Guest

  7. #7

    In article <hawaii.rr.com>,
    H. Doug Matsuoka <rr.com> wrote:

    Adding to this, how do you specify other time servers, that is to say,
    servers not already in the list?

    Given that I've got a local time server it would be nice to synch
    against this on a regular basis rather than one of the presets when the
    drift proves too much for me...

    Dave
    David Guest

  8. #8

    In article <cc.rl.ac.uk>,
    David Sankey <ac.uk> wrote:

    > Adding to this, how do you specify other time servers, that is to say,
    > servers not already in the list?[/ref]

    Just type it in. You'll have to get 'exactly' what to type in from the
    server, probably listed on their web site.

    --
    Christopher S. Moore
    us

  9. #9

    In article <120920030950496779%us>,
    Chris Moore <us> wrote:

    > > Adding to this, how do you specify other time servers, that is to say,
    > > servers not already in the list?[/ref]
    >
    > Just type it in. You'll have to get 'exactly' what to type in from the
    > server, probably listed on their web site.[/ref]

    You might try one of the first seven servers in this list.

    File: nist-srv.lst

    This file contains information about all of the time servers
    operated by NIST. You may get a copy of this file from the
    /pub directory on any NIST time server.

    Server name IP address Note Location
    $
    nist1.aol-va.truetime.com 205.188.185.33 2 DC/Virginia
    utcnist.colorado.edu 128.138.140.44 2 Colorado
    nist1.aol-ca.truetime.com 207.200.81.113 2 California
    nist1-dc.glassey.com 216.200.93.8 2 DC/Virginia
    nist1.datum.com 63.149.208.50 2 California
    nist1-ny.glassey.com 208.184.49.9 2 New York City
    nist1-sj.glassey.com 207.126.103.204 2 California
    time-a.nist.gov 129.6.15.28 1 Maryland
    time-b.nist.gov 129.6.15.29 1 Maryland
    time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov 132.163.4.101 1,4 Colorado
    time-b.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov 132.163.4.102 1 Colorado
    time-c.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov 132.163.4.103 1 Colorado
    time-d.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov 132.163.4.104 3 Colorado
    time.nist.gov 192.43.244.18 1 Colorado
    time-nw.nist.gov 131.107.1.10 1 Washington
    $
    Notes:
    1. Heavily loaded and not recommended for new users.
    2. Recommended for new users.
    3. Used for testing only. Not for general users.
    4. Does not support anonymous ftp connections.

    Important notes:

    The client program normally uses one of the first 7 servers in
    the list, and you may interchange the order of the entries to force
    the program to select a given system. However, you must not change
    the format of the file. The program will probably stop working
    if you do so. In particular, the two "$" signs delimit the list
    of servers, and you must not remove them.

    This file may also be used to configure system that connect to the
    Internet using a proxy server. See file README.PROXY in directory
    /pub/daytime for more information.

  10. #10

    In article <120920030749070558%com>,
    Lot-o-fun <com> wrote:

    >Is there some way of getting a non-Apple server to "stick" in the
    >panel? It seems that if I enter a server (time-a.nist.gov, for
    >example), the enter yet another one, I can't select the first one from
    >the pop-up list. It just disappears.[/ref]

    No, the pop-up list is actually hard-coded. (one of Apple's more
    minor mis-steps, IMO)

    --
    Matthew T. Russotto net
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  11. #11

    In article <20030912232434434+inv.ihug.co.nz>,
    Roger Johnstone <co.nz> wrote:

    > Just select "Use a network time server" at the top of the window. As
    > long as you have that enabled it will periodically update the time. I
    > don't know how often it updates, I would guess once a day.[/ref]

    The normal configuration on Mac OS X allows the interval between
    automatic time checks to vary from just over 1 hour to about 36.4 hours.
    It does this using the BSD-standard NTP daemon. If you want to learn
    about the algorithm ntpd uses in choosing the actual time, you'll have
    to Google for it.

    Time is also set when the Mac boots.

    Obviously all this depends on actully having a network connection at the
    time.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  12. #12

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, H. Doug Matsuoka wrote:

    The system resychronizes automatically. The amount of time between syncs
    is adjusted dynamically as needed. To see info relative to this, run ntpq
    (from the terminal). The command peers will give info relating to the
    hosts you are syncing from.

    Fred

    > > Yes, with the Date and Time panel in system preferences; under the
    > > Network Time tab.
    > >
    > > But I sync with time-a.nist.gov instead.
    > >
    > > --Michelle
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >

    >[/ref]

    Frederick Guest

  13. #13

    In article <120920030749070558%com>,
    Lot-o-fun <com> wrote:

    No. Unfortunately, the popup is static. <sigh>

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  14. #14

    In article <hawaii.rr.com>,
    H. Doug Matsuoka <rr.com> wrote:

    It's fully automatic.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  15. #15

    In article <cc.rl.ac.uk>,
    David Sankey <ac.uk> wrote:

    Just type it in.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  16. #16

    Just curious, but might it not be possible to add additional
    ntp servers by editing /etc/ntp.conf?

    Greg Shenaut
    gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu Guest

  17. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Wayne Guest
    Moderated Post

  18. #18

    The popup menu is static and can be modified as suggested only by
    hacking the PreferencePane.

    However if you just type in the full correct name of your preferred
    server, and the connection works, it is written to /etc/ntp.conf

    Also in this file are two "magic" numbers, minpoll 12 maxpoll 17
    These are obviously limits for,
    interval between checks (in hours?) or
    permitted time error (in milliseconds?)
    Knowing what these numbers mean, you could hack here too...
    Peter Guest

  19. #19

    In article <auckland.ac.nz>,
    Peter KERR <domain> wrote:

    The limits are 2 raised to the indicated power seconds. So the default
    is minimum 2^12 seconds (a bit over an hour) and 2^17 seconds (about
    36.4 hours).

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  20. #20

    In article <tph-62B67A.16085015092003localhost>,
    Tom Harrington <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    > The limits are 2 raised to the indicated power seconds. So the default
    > is minimum 2^12 seconds (a bit over an hour) and 2^17 seconds (about
    > 36.4 hours).[/ref]

    Typing in the correct name has in deed worked and it has been written to
    /etc/ntp.conf with those two magic numbers.

    However it still doesn't appear to be being used, except when I click on
    "Set Time Now" and I'm getting significant clock drift (minutes per
    week). Very annoying when remote systems fail to notice updates because
    the Mac has set a time in the past...

    I do tend to switch the machine off at night and would prefer to
    continue so doing,

    Dave
    David Guest