Professional Web Applications Themes

Submit a pdf form to web server - Adobe Acrobat Windows

Hi All, Please help me with this problem.I've been getting help through this list.Please let me know somebody,how to retrieve the response in asp file from a pdf file?I want to submit the pdf form to the web so that the information gets stored in a file.I've the asp code which is retrieving the response and is writing it to a file. Thanks again all of you.Thanks Aandi for all your help. Regards, Puja...

  1. #21

    Default Re: Submit a pdf form to web server

    Puja_Thakral@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #22

    The easiest way (not the best):
    Set the pdf to submit as HTTP-POST.
    Write the asp page while pretending it's dealing with POST data (request.form) from some HTML form.
    xile@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #23

    Sorry, I have no knowledge of this "Request" object or how it works.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #24

    PDF gives me four options to submit data or export data.First as FDF,then as HTML,as XPDF and as PDF.I chose the option of submitting it as HTML.And in the URL,I've entered the path to the .asp file which contains the code to retrieve the response from pdf and write it to .fdf file.So finally .fdf file is being created but it's empty as it doesn't create the information I'm entering in the pdf form before submitting it to the web server.

    FirstName = Request.form("txtFirstName")
    This is how I'm retrieving the response.

    Then I'm creating the instance of the object

    Set FdfAcX = Server.CreateObject("FdfApp.FdfApp")

    Then I'm feeding the variables by

    Dim myFDF
    Set myFdf = FdfAcX.FDFCreate

    Then I stuff the variables,

    myFdf.fdfsetvalue "FirstName", TestFirstName, false
    myFdf.fdfsetvalue "LastName", LastName, false
    myFdf.fdfsetvalue "Address", Address, false
    myFdf.fdfsetvalue "City", City, false
    myFdf.fdfsetvalue "State", State, false
    myFdf.fdfsetvalue "Zip", Zip, false

    Then I'm pointing to my pdf file,

    myFDF.fdfSetFile "http://orsp.rutgers.edu/pdf_project/form1.pdf"
    Response.ContentType = "text/html"

    myFDF.fdfSaveToFile "C:\formData\CheckThis.fdf"

    Finally I'm closing the objects...
    myFDF.fdfclose
    Set myFDF = Nothing
    Set FDFAcX = Nothing

    Do you see any problem here?

    Thanks for any help..

  5. #25

    Although it isn't the problem at the moment,

    Response.ContentType = "text/html"

    is not right.

  6. #26

    Should it be
    Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.fdf"

    If I do that,it says that submission of the form failed and gives a genral error.

    I guess the Response.ContentType = "text/html" because the pdf is being exported in HTMl formal and also I'm using the html format to retrieve the user response by using
    FirstName = Request.form("txtFirstName")

    I maynot be right,it's just what I'm guesiing..

    Thanks for the reply.

  7. #27

    >Should it be

    Yes.

    That may be because

    1. You are not generating an FDF
    2. You are generating an FDF but are sending other data back with it
    3. You are generating an FDF but not sending it back
    4. You are generating an FDF but not setting an FDF key.

    No, your response here is what matters. The response from your script
    is an FDF, not HTML.

    But, setting a response type of text/html, or especially text/plain is
    a great debugging aid, since it helps you to examine the FDF you would
    be making. No point changing this until you can figure out why you
    aren't getting any input.

    That may be a problem. I prefer reading mountains of doentation to
    guessing anything, but maybe that's just me.

  8. #28

    Hi Aandi,

    Thanks for your reply.Actually I finally got the fdf file which contains entries from my pdf doent.But the concern is that when I submit the data from my pdf form,it still gives the "error code:No input file page data" and the "url of my .asp page".When I click 'ok' on that error box,it goes away.Finally when I check the fdf file on my web server,it 's created properly and it contains all the entries from pdf file.But I've no clue what that error is about?

    Any help from anyone is appreciated a lot.Thanks again to Aandi and this mailing list.

  9. #29

    Sorry, I have no idea on that problem.

  10. #30

    I think you're in for some server/client header/caching debugging. It might be the headers sent from the web server (which, IMHO, is about the trickiest part when dealing with PDF submissions, that is IF you want your application to be compatible with all versions of Acrobat AND Explorer).

    Also, IE caches responses from PDF submissions (be it HTML or fdf), in order for the Reader to find the doent, I guess. This "feature" has also caused developers a lot of trouble.

    If you're going to debug headers, I would strongly recommend installing Firefox (Mozilla) and a nifty little extension called "HTTP live headers" (or something like that).
    xile@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #31

    Thanks for your replies guys but this problem is still unsolved although I tried a lot of things.anyways,as I'm getting my fdf file which has the information submitted by the user,I guess I 'm good to go to the next step.

    I want to p these fdf files and want to save the information to the database.Can someone please guide me in the right direction as how to do this?

    Thanks a ton for all the help.
    Regards,
    Puja
    Puja_Thakral@adobeforums.com Guest