Professional Web Applications Themes

Successor of Nikon D70 - Photography

Hello : anyone has an idea when the successor of the D70 will come ? I recently saw the special offer of Nikon which they had in germany : a 100 euro cash back for all orders untill january 31st. Today i saw that they are extending their offer and they even add another 50 euros : so for all orders placed between 1/feb and 30/4 you'll get a 150 euro cash back of Nikon Does this mean the successor of Nikon D70 is expected soon ? thanks for any info since i am about to buy the D70 marc...

  1. #1

    Default Successor of Nikon D70

    Hello :

    anyone has an idea when the successor of the D70 will come ?

    I recently saw the special offer of Nikon which they had in germany :
    a 100 euro cash back for all orders untill january 31st.

    Today i saw that they are extending their offer and they even add another
    50 euros : so for all orders placed between 1/feb and 30/4 you'll
    get a 150 euro cash back of Nikon

    Does this mean the successor of Nikon D70 is expected soon ?

    thanks for any info since i am about to buy the D70

    marc

    ihuman07 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Successor of Nikon D70

    "ihuman07" <be> wrote in message
    I would expect the D70 replacement in FY2006. The rebates you see is so you
    people in Europe can see a price like we have in North America.

    Darrell Guest

  3. #3

    I just bought one in the US and it came with a rebate. I think they are
    trying to compete with the Rebel, or maybe they just made too many. I did
    see a picture of a D80 that was posted here, but not sure if it was real or
    not, and they certainly are not available in the US, if they are available
    at all.

    Sheldon Guest

  4. #4

    "ihuman07" <be> wrote in message

    I would be very surprised if Nikon does not have at least one important
    product announcement at the PMA show in February.

    Andrew Guest

  5. #5

    Andrew Koenig wrote:
    > I would be very surprised if Nikon does not have at least one important
    > product announcement at the PMA show in February.[/ref]

    ....and - speculate, speculate - this will be the D100 successor.

    Juergen
    Juergen Guest

  6. #6

    All the new Nikon dSLR images I have found I have placed on my website.
    These are all fakes see captions. There will be a D200 with a higher pixel
    count, but I would suggest it will look much like the D200. The
    battery/vertical grip will not be intregal, as Nikon will not stop making a
    $400 add-on.

    http://www.darrelllarose.ca/gallery/NikonD200

    "Sheldon" <net> wrote in message
    or [/ref]
    another

    >[/ref]

    Darrell Guest

  7. #7

    When Nikon dropped the price of the D100 to $1500 a year-and-a-half ago,
    everyone started speculating that the D200 was imminent. Pricing and rebates
    are probably more likely to be a result of competitive pricing issues and
    speculation on what it mean to the future of that model or its replacement
    are probably fruitless.

    Having said that, Nikon's marketing history would suggest that we'll see a
    D70 replacement sometime within the next year. But for the time being, the
    D100's time-in-service and the fact that it's price has dropped to the same
    level as the D70 would seem to indicate that the D200 will be announced long
    before the D90 hits the streets.

    HMc

    Howard Guest

  8. #8

    ihuman07 wrote:

    I had just been wondering the same thing. After looking around for a
    digital SLR under $1500 w/ lens, storage, etc, I think something like
    the D70 will suite me for experimenting with photography. Before
    purchasing I decided to look around for news of a successor first. I
    noticed looking at the press releases that the D70 was announced Q1 of
    2004. Being new to anything more than point-and-shoot, I'm not sure what
    type schedule digital cameras follow; many electronics seem to follow an
    anual or bianual cycle. I certainly would hate to purchase the D70 and
    then see them release a 8 megapixel version next month. Perhaps another
    month of Ruminations would be prudent.

    Randy.
    Randy Guest

  9. #9

    In Canada the D70 with 18~70 sell for CDN $1499.99 (about 642.638) in the
    UK it's 1049.99 (or CDN $2,451.65) in Germany it's ?1,110.00 or about CDN
    $1800. So I can see Nikon Europe trying to lower the price to prevent USA
    imports.

    "Randy W. Sims" <org> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    another

    > I had just been wondering the same thing. After looking around for a
    > digital SLR under $1500 w/ lens, storage, etc, I think something like
    > the D70 will suite me for experimenting with photography. Before
    > purchasing I decided to look around for news of a successor first. I
    > noticed looking at the press releases that the D70 was announced Q1 of
    > 2004. Being new to anything more than point-and-shoot, I'm not sure what
    > type schedule digital cameras follow; many electronics seem to follow an
    > anual or bianual cycle. I certainly would hate to purchase the D70 and
    > then see them release a 8 megapixel version next month. Perhaps another
    > month of Ruminations would be prudent.
    >
    > Randy.[/ref]

    Darrell Guest

  10. #10

    > I had just been wondering the same thing. After looking around for a
    > digital SLR under $1500 w/ lens, storage, etc, I think something like the
    > D70 will suite me for experimenting with photography. Before purchasing I
    > decided to look around for news of a successor first. I noticed looking
    > at the press releases that the D70 was announced Q1 of 2004. Being new to
    > anything more than point-and-shoot, I'm not sure what type schedule
    > digital cameras follow; many electronics seem to follow an anual or
    > bianual cycle. I certainly would hate to purchase the D70 and then see
    > them release a 8 megapixel version next month. Perhaps another month of
    > Ruminations would be prudent.
    >
    > Randy.[/ref]

    I thought about that, too. But in the longrun cameras will just keep
    getting better and or cheaper, and you'll never know when that will happen.
    You might buy the D70 only to find the rave reviews never drop below
    whatever replaces it. You might wait and buy the D80 only to find the D70
    was a better camera. I know there are a few discontinued digital cameras
    around that people want more than the replacements. Might be a wider
    aperture, or whatever, but it happens. I would expect to see more or better
    lenses for the D70 at lower prices. That could easily keep the model going
    for a long time. Nikon already makes some DSLR's with more megapixels, if
    that's what you want.

    A great example of this is automobiles. You pretty much expect new models
    to have more power, slight changes, and cost more than last year's model.
    But look at the Vette? More of everything for less money. Doesn't happen
    often, but it does. And sometimes the new model doesn't look at good as the
    old one. Porsche had to go back several years and change the body on their
    new 911 because most people hated the new one.

    Sheldon Guest

  11. #11

    Unless you're a big dollar pro or just a camera snob, I can't see how
    you wouldn't be happy with a D70 for years. Great images, as easy or
    hard to use as you want it to be, fast and cheap to keep once you've
    paid for the camera. Buy it, shoot, aculate lenses and be happy
    until the 20 megapixel models are under a grand, then upgrade.
    Meantime, you've got a hard drive full of great photography built up
    and you've had a lot of fun instead of waiting and hoping. Best
    suggestion I can make is check out the images on all the forums posted
    by happy Digital Rebel and D70 owners. Bet they're not sorry they took
    the plunge. I know I'm not.

    Kitt Guest

  12. #12

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:31:46 -0500, "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote:

    You're looking in the wrong shops. At least two local shops where I am in
    the UK are selling the D70+18-70mm for 769 and body only for 699. (Which
    is a bit of a bummer when I paid 849 for my D70 kit two months ago!!)

    Regards,
    Graham Guest

  13. #13

    "Juergen ." <com> wrote in message
    > > I would be very surprised if Nikon does not have at least one important
    > > product announcement at the PMA show in February.[/ref]
    >
    > ...and - speculate, speculate - this will be the D100 successor.[/ref]

    i second that - nikons product cycles are usually around 3 years - so i
    doubt that the d70's successor will be announced anytime before fall 06.

    sid

    sid Guest

  14. #14

    This is digital world 3 years will make it dinosaur. They will pump a new
    one every few months , max 1 year.
    "sid derra" <net> wrote in message

    >> ...and - speculate, speculate - this will be the D100 successor.[/ref]
    >
    > i second that - nikons product cycles are usually around 3 years - so i
    > doubt that the d70's successor will be announced anytime before fall 06.
    >
    > sid
    >
    >[/ref]

    Witek Guest

  15. #15

    sid derra wrote:

    >>...and - speculate, speculate - this will be the D100 successor.[/ref]
    >

    > i second that - nikons product cycles are usually around 3 years - so i
    > doubt that the d70's successor will be announced anytime before fall 06.[/ref]

    They just about /HAVE/ to be releasing something. At Adororama, for the
    D100s:

    $200.00 Mfr Rebate from Oct 1, 2004 - Mar 31, 2005

    for the D70 kits

    $200.00 Mfr Rebate from Feb 1, 2005 - Mar 31, 2005

    I can't speak for manufacturers of digital cameras, but in most other
    electronics, rebates like the above mean a new model is about to be
    released or announced. I just wonder what it will be and at what price
    level. Being a beginner/amatuer, $1100 (USD) for a dSLR, lens, and
    storage might be the better move for me. BUT if they release a new model
    at close the the original price range $1300-$1500 (USD), I'll end up
    banging my head on the wall for the next year...

    Randy.
    Randy Guest

  16. #16

    In article <com>,
    Randy W. Sims <org> wrote:

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    Out of curiosity -- how much storage comes in the D70 kit? I
    bought a body only, since I already had a very nice 28-105mm zoom AF
    lens which I felt was a better fit for my usual shooting than the range
    of the zoom in the kit.

    Anyway -- body only comes with *no* storage.

    And back when I got my first digital -- a Nikon Coolpix 950 --
    they came with all of 8mb of storage -- far from enough for any serious
    use. When I got the D70 body, I picked up a 1GB 80x by Lexar, and since
    have added another (and have needed both on one trip).

    I understand -- but consider how many photo opportunities you
    will be missing if you wait.

    Good luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Guest

  17. #17

    DoN. Nichols <com> wrote:

    None, as it should be.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  18. #18

    On 5 Feb 2005 17:00:40 -0500, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

    In the Nikon kit, none. Several reputable vendors do bundle with cards at
    pretty good prices, such as B&H for a bit more than the basic kit.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Ruf.com)
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Guest

  19. #19

    http://www.geocities.com/matt_byrd/D200-Nikon.jpg

    D200 Guest

  20. #20

    Ed Ruf wrote:

    > In the Nikon kit, none. Several reputable vendors do bundle with cards at
    > pretty good prices, such as B&H for a bit more than the basic kit.[/ref]

    Yeah, the B&H kit is the one I was referring to:

    Nikon D70, 6.1 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera with Nikon 18-70mm DX Zoom
    Nikkor Lens and Sandisk 1GB Extreme III CompactFlash Card[1]. Oddly,
    they offer it for the same price as they offer as the D70 kit without
    storage.

    This is more than likely the camera I will get, but I've decided to wait
    a couple more weeks just to see what they do... They /may/ make an offer
    I can't refuse, but I sort of doubt it will be as cost efficient for
    someone like me who's basically just looking for a hobby away from the
    keyboard.

    1. <http://tinyurl.com/5ofnz>, aka
    <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=367273&is=REG>
    Randy Guest