Professional Web Applications Themes

Summary - was Prospective iBook user - questions re Firewire, writing books, etc - Mac Portable

Just by way of followup: I settled on a 500MHz Pismo with DVD, Zip drive (which I will never use and which is going straight up on ebay!), 192/6Gb for $749. Does that sound like a good deal? I've got various larger hard drives around the place, and plenty of assorted SODIMMs so I will take it to at least 256/20Gb. Can someone confirm what kind of memory it actually uses? Some references say "PC100, minimum speed 133MHz" which is kind of contradictory :/...

  1. #1

    Default Summary - was Re: Prospective iBook user - questions re Firewire, writing books, etc

    Just by way of followup: I settled on a 500MHz Pismo with DVD, Zip
    drive (which I will never use and which is going straight up on
    ebay!), 192/6Gb for $749. Does that sound like a good deal?

    I've got various larger hard drives around the place, and plenty of
    assorted SODIMMs so I will take it to at least 256/20Gb. Can someone
    confirm what kind of memory it actually uses? Some references say
    "PC100, minimum speed 133MHz" which is kind of contradictory :/
    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards Guest

  2. #2

    foo wrote:
    > A *new* iBook that's over 50% faster (actually more), with the latest
    > OS, with Quartz Extreme support, etc. is $999. Why go with older
    > technology?
    Well, the low-end iBook doesn't have DVD. So it makes more sense than
    what you indicated.

    Steven Fisher Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 06:24:24 GMT, Steven Fisher <sdfisherspamcop.net>
    wrote:
    >foo wrote:
    >
    >> A *new* iBook that's over 50% faster (actually more), with the latest
    >> OS, with Quartz Extreme support, etc. is $999. Why go with older
    >> technology?
    >
    >Well, the low-end iBook doesn't have DVD. So it makes more sense than
    >what you indicated.
    He said he didn't need DVD, didn't he?
    foo Guest

  4. #4

    foo wrote:
    > He said he didn't need DVD, didn't he?
    Not that I could find. If you mean the most recent post, it looked like
    he was saying he didn't need the ZIP drive:

  5. #5

    > > He said he didn't need DVD, didn't he?
    >
    > Not that I could find. If you mean the most recent post, it looked like
    > he was saying he didn't need the ZIP drive:
    Exactly so. I haven't used Zip disks in three or four years. Somewhere
    around the office there are languishing at least half a dozen Zip
    drives.

    Now, I don't *need* DVD, but as I mentioned in the original thread, I
    was leaning towards DVD and a larger screen as luxuries with which to
    pamper myself. If I'm spending more than $500 I darn well EXPECT DVD,
    too.

    I already experienced substantial price creep, since my original price
    bracket was in the $500 range. $749 is the *absolute maximum* I could
    spare to spend on this. So it doesn't really matter what extra
    singing, dancing features would be available in the $1000 price point;
    I simply can't afford it. Plus, the feedback I've received is that the
    keyboard on the iBook isn't first-class. Quartz Extreme, or rather the
    lack thereof, will not impact my life significantly, since the only
    apps I'm going to run apart from word processors are emulators :)

    I note that there are CPU upgrades; G3 900 and G4 500. One day, when I
    have a little money, I might get one of those (I'm not sure which
    upgrade makes more sense.
    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards Guest

  6. #6

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:34:09 GMT, Steven Fisher <sdfisherspamcop.net>
    wrote:
    >foo wrote:
    >
    >> He said he didn't need DVD, didn't he?
    >
    >Not that I could find. If you mean the most recent post, it looked like
    >he was saying he didn't need the ZIP drive:
    >
    >"I settled on a 500MHz Pismo with DVD, Zip drive (which I will never use
    >and which is going straight up on ebay!)"
    Ambiguous.

    foo Guest

  7. #7

    In article <608b6569.0306290550.5b5908daposting.google.com >,
    [email]larwelarwe.com[/email] (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards) wrote:
    > > > He said he didn't need DVD, didn't he?
    > >
    > > Not that I could find. If you mean the most recent post, it looked like
    > > he was saying he didn't need the ZIP drive:
    >
    > Exactly so. I haven't used Zip disks in three or four years. Somewhere
    > around the office there are languishing at least half a dozen Zip
    > drives.
    >
    > Now, I don't *need* DVD, but as I mentioned in the original thread, I
    > was leaning towards DVD and a larger screen as luxuries with which to
    > pamper myself. If I'm spending more than $500 I darn well EXPECT DVD,
    > too.
    >
    > I already experienced substantial price creep, since my original price
    > bracket was in the $500 range. $749 is the *absolute maximum* I could
    > spare to spend on this. So it doesn't really matter what extra
    > singing, dancing features would be available in the $1000 price point;
    > I simply can't afford it.
    AFAIK, you got a good deal on the Pismo. I've heard that most are going
    for prices right around there. If you've got RAM (PC100 SODIMM, 133 will
    work fine; unlike the Wallstreet, the lower SODIMM slot takes a
    standard-size unit) and a better HD, you won't be paying anything to
    upgrade the machine to what you want. That prevents you from being
    behind the 8-ball, price-wise.

    If you are running OS X, get as much RAM in there as possible. Many
    people won't run it with less than 512. I'm at 384MB, and noticed
    substantial speed improvements from 256. Access to the upper RAM slot is
    trivial (remove keyboard and CPU heatshield), but the lower slot
    requires removal of the CPU, and can get a bit hairy (I put the 256MB
    down there, and will not touch it again). Look through the group
    archives for relevant posts, or get in touch if you have questions.

    I'd recommend doing the HD at the same time as the RAM, just because you
    have everything open. I believe that I posted instructions for replacing
    the HD to this group around 8-9 months ago. I can probably find them
    again on my HD if you want.
    >Plus, the feedback I've received is that the
    > keyboard on the iBook isn't first-class. Quartz Extreme, or rather the
    > lack thereof, will not impact my life significantly, since the only
    > apps I'm going to run apart from word processors are emulators :)
    >
    > I note that there are CPU upgrades; G3 900 and G4 500. One day, when I
    > have a little money, I might get one of those (I'm not sure which
    > upgrade makes more sense.
    I don't know whether either one makes sense. If you run programs that
    rely heavily on the Altivec engine, the G4 might speed things up
    significantly, but otherwise, G4's aren't that much faster than a G3 of
    similar MHz rating. I've read the comments of people who got CPU
    upgrades at one of the manufacturer's forums, and they all seemed happy
    with them, but it's an awful lot of money to spend, when I could get
    another 512MB RAM (which would likely speed things up) and still have
    cash left over for other goodies such as an external keyboard, software,
    a CD-burner or other hardware, some of which might speed up my work, if
    not my computer. Still, if the price were right, I'd probably spring for
    an upgrade, as I'm likely not going to be able to afford a new computer
    for three to five more years. A bit more CPU might make OS X 10.3
    snappier, and I'd dearly love to upgrade even though it relies even more
    heavily on Quartz Extreme than 10.2.

    I must admit though, that the only hardware expense that I'm actively
    planning on is replacing my screen backlight once my AppleCare expires
    (this September). It's gotten a bit dim, too dim to work outside at all.

    --
    later.

    johajohn AT indianahoosiers DOT edu

    Remove the adjective to reply. Indiana is a noun.
    John Johnson Guest

  8. #8

    Hi John,
    > > bracket was in the $500 range. $749 is the *absolute maximum* I could
    >
    > AFAIK, you got a good deal on the Pismo. I've heard that most are going
    That's good to hear. It was hard to form an opinion on what the "good"
    going rate is on ebay because of widely varying configurations. Do you
    think I'll be able to get $50 for the Zip drive module? (I'm trying to
    choose a Buy It Now price for that component :)
    > for prices right around there. If you've got RAM (PC100 SODIMM, 133 will
    > work fine; unlike the Wallstreet, the lower SODIMM slot takes a
    I've got a lot of spare RAM and 2.5" IDE drives lying about. I should
    have at least a 20Gb drive, maybe a 30Gb. I have several 128Mb
    SODIMMs, both PC100 and PC133, and at least one 256Mb module
    somewhere.
    > If you are running OS X, get as much RAM in there as possible. Many
    > people won't run it with less than 512. I'm at 384MB, and noticed
    On Friday I put 256Mb in that old beige G3/233 at work, removed a
    bunch of unwanted stuff off the hard drive, and finally managed to get
    OpenOffice working. It seemed to be reasonably sprightly even on that
    ancient machine. I will probably take the Pismo to 384Mb if I can find
    that 256Mb module. (I've been packing everything for an impending
    move).
    > I'd recommend doing the HD at the same time as the RAM, just because you
    Yes, well, the HD upgrade is first on the list anyways, because I want
    to get my installed software configured "just so".
    > > I note that there are CPU upgrades; G3 900 and G4 500. One day, when I
    >
    > I don't know whether either one makes sense. If you run programs that
    I don't know either, but really I'm musing on which one would be more
    sensible, come the day that I'm not happy with the speed any more. The
    G3-900 is $299 and the G4-500 is $399, at least on the site I was
    visiting.

    I doubt I'll reach this point, though. As long as it runs Openoffice,
    and SNES emulators (and MacMAME) reasonably friskily, it will be fine
    for the foreseeable future.

    What's DVD playback like on this machine? Acceptably smooth?
    > with them, but it's an awful lot of money to spend, when I could get
    > another 512MB RAM (which would likely speed things up) and still have
    I've read people complaining that there is a significantly higher
    power drain when using 512Mb SODIMMs, and that the machine isn't
    necessarily stable. True, false?
    > a CD-burner or other hardware, some of which might speed up my work, if
    I already have a trusty Sony Spressa USB CD-RW burner, which has
    traveled with me from machine to machine for several years now. I
    *believe* drivers were available for the Mac; hopefully MacOS X won't
    require any. It's a kind of mavericky drive, with an old old Shuttle
    Technologies USB-ATAPI bridge. It's the only drive I can't get to work
    properly with current Linux versions.
    > I must admit though, that the only hardware expense that I'm actively
    > planning on is replacing my screen backlight once my AppleCare expires
    > (this September). It's gotten a bit dim, too dim to work outside at all.
    Fortunately, given where I work in my day job
    ([url]http://www.digi-frame.com/[/url]), I have ready access to backlight CCFLs,
    and I have plenty of experience in changing them out :)

    Thanks for all the feedback. I am waiting impatiently for my Pismo to
    arrive!!
    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards Guest

  9. #9

    foo wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:34:09 GMT, Steven Fisher <sdfisherspamcop.net>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>"I settled on a 500MHz Pismo with DVD, Zip drive (which I will never use
    >>and which is going straight up on ebay!)"
    >
    > Ambiguous.
    Only to you.

    Steven Fisher Guest

  10. #10

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:37:49 GMT, Steven Fisher <sdfisherspamcop.net>
    wrote:
    >foo wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:34:09 GMT, Steven Fisher <sdfisherspamcop.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>"I settled on a 500MHz Pismo with DVD, Zip drive (which I will never use
    >>>and which is going straight up on ebay!)"
    >>
    >> Ambiguous.
    >
    >Only to you.
    ....and the rest of us with a background in proper English. Either
    there should have been an "AND" in there, or the (which I will ...)
    could have applied to everything before it and after the preposition.
    foo Guest

  11. #11

    In article <608b6569.0306291335.58d19150posting.google.com >,
    [email]larwelarwe.com[/email] (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards) wrote:
    > Hi John,
    >
    > > > bracket was in the $500 range. $749 is the *absolute maximum* I could
    > >
    > > AFAIK, you got a good deal on the Pismo. I've heard that most are going
    >
    > That's good to hear. It was hard to form an opinion on what the "good"
    > going rate is on ebay because of widely varying configurations. Do you
    > think I'll be able to get $50 for the Zip drive module? (I'm trying to
    > choose a Buy It Now price for that component :)
    NOTE: I'm typing this on my Pismo 500Mhz right now. While I lust after
    bigger, faster, better (who doesn't :-), I am very happy with it.
    > > for prices right around there. If you've got RAM (PC100 SODIMM, 133 will
    > > work fine; unlike the Wallstreet, the lower SODIMM slot takes a
    >
    > I've got a lot of spare RAM and 2.5" IDE drives lying about. I should
    > have at least a 20Gb drive, maybe a 30Gb. I have several 128Mb
    > SODIMMs, both PC100 and PC133, and at least one 256Mb module
    > somewhere.
    I started a 20GB, but after a year, I went to a 48GB IBM Travelstar.
    But then again, I have about 5GB of my CDs converted to MP3's, lots of
    pictures (most of which should be discarded as bad photography :-), and
    I am a packrat so if I were to do some house cleaning, I could still be
    living on my old 20GB disk.
    > > If you are running OS X, get as much RAM in there as possible. Many
    > > people won't run it with less than 512. I'm at 384MB, and noticed
    >
    > On Friday I put 256Mb in that old beige G3/233 at work, removed a
    > bunch of unwanted stuff off the hard drive, and finally managed to get
    > OpenOffice working. It seemed to be reasonably sprightly even on that
    > ancient machine. I will probably take the Pismo to 384Mb if I can find
    > that 256Mb module. (I've been packing everything for an impending
    > move).
    384MB is OK.

    I have 640MB of memory in my Pismo (a 512MB SO-DIMM in the bottom slot)
    and the original 128MB in top slot. I am playing a game with myself to
    see if 512MB memory prices for the Pismo drop to $50 including shipping,
    If it does I say I'll get more some and get my Pismo up to 1GB, but
    there is not rush as I'm happy with my 640MBs.

    I put the larger memory in the bottom slot because it is a pain to
    (mostly fear about the force needing to remove and put back the
    processor card). I could have put the 512MB in the top slot and keep
    the orginal 128MB in the bottom.

    Anyway, more memory is always better (expecially if you play with photos
    or graphics of any larger size), but 384MB is not bad. And if it keeps
    your costs in line, then by all means go with what you've got. If in
    the future you stumble across another 256MB SO-DIMM for free, replace
    the 128MB. If you find a deal for a 512MB SO-DIMM (and you have some
    Christmas Gift money burning a hole in your pocket), why not spend it on
    memory.
    > > I'd recommend doing the HD at the same time as the RAM, just because you
    >
    > Yes, well, the HD upgrade is first on the list anyways, because I want
    > to get my installed software configured "just so".
    >
    > > > I note that there are CPU upgrades; G3 900 and G4 500. One day, when I
    > >
    > > I don't know whether either one makes sense. If you run programs that
    >
    > I don't know either, but really I'm musing on which one would be more
    > sensible, come the day that I'm not happy with the speed any more. The
    > G3-900 is $299 and the G4-500 is $399, at least on the site I was
    > visiting.
    >
    > I doubt I'll reach this point, though. As long as it runs Openoffice,
    > and SNES emulators (and MacMAME) reasonably friskily, it will be fine
    > for the foreseeable future.
    >
    > What's DVD playback like on this machine? Acceptably smooth?
    My wife and I have taken the Pismo out on the porch and watched movies
    during the summer. Popcorn and everthing. Kind-of-like going to the
    drive in :-) It was fine.
    > > with them, but it's an awful lot of money to spend, when I could get
    > > another 512MB RAM (which would likely speed things up) and still have
    >
    > I've read people complaining that there is a significantly higher
    > power drain when using 512Mb SODIMMs, and that the machine isn't
    > necessarily stable. True, false?
    I did not try measure power drain between the 256MB I started with (two
    128MB SO-DIMMs) and the 640MB I have now.

    As for stability, I am rock solid using a 128MB and a 512MB SO-DIMM. If
    someone is having stability problems then it is most likely the quality
    of memory.

    Bob Harris
    > > a CD-burner or other hardware, some of which might speed up my work, if
    >
    > I already have a trusty Sony Spressa USB CD-RW burner, which has
    > traveled with me from machine to machine for several years now. I
    > *believe* drivers were available for the Mac; hopefully MacOS X won't
    > require any. It's a kind of mavericky drive, with an old old Shuttle
    > Technologies USB-ATAPI bridge. It's the only drive I can't get to work
    > properly with current Linux versions.
    >
    > > I must admit though, that the only hardware expense that I'm actively
    > > planning on is replacing my screen backlight once my AppleCare expires
    > > (this September). It's gotten a bit dim, too dim to work outside at all.
    >
    > Fortunately, given where I work in my day job
    > ([url]http://www.digi-frame.com/[/url]), I have ready access to backlight CCFLs,
    > and I have plenty of experience in changing them out :)
    >
    > Thanks for all the feedback. I am waiting impatiently for my Pismo to
    > arrive!!
    Bob Harris Guest

  12. #12

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Bob Harris wrote:
    > > I've read people complaining that there is a significantly higher
    > > power drain when using 512Mb SODIMMs, and that the machine isn't
    > > necessarily stable. True, false?
    >
    > I did not try measure power drain between the 256MB I started with (two
    > 128MB SO-DIMMs) and the 640MB I have now.
    >
    > As for stability, I am rock solid using a 128MB and a 512MB SO-DIMM. If
    > someone is having stability problems then it is most likely the quality
    > of memory.
    >
    > Bob Harris
    I enjoyed my Pismo very much, only sold to acquire my PB17, which I also
    enjoy very much. ;)

    What you may be referring to is statements I've seen that with 1GB of
    memory, the backup battery no longer reliably supports swapping batteries
    during sleep without AC power. I've seen that assertion, and never any
    definitive counter by anyone with 1GB in their machine. AFAIK nobody has
    complained about stability during use, either on battery or AC.

    KeS
    Kevin_Stevens@hotmail.com Guest

  13. #13

    foo wrote:
    > ...and the rest of us with a background in proper English. Either
    > there should have been an "AND" in there, or the (which I will ...)
    > could have applied to everything before it and after the preposition.
    Whatever makes you happy, foo, except I really have no clue what you're
    trying to say with that last sentence. Perhaps you should check the
    grammar in your own grammar flames. :)

    Steven Fisher Guest

  14. #14

    foo <foobar.com> wrote in message news:<ut2vfv485dqdo1isl044005147712atbl94ax.com>. ..

    > >> Ambiguous.
    > >
    > >Only to you.
    >
    > ...and the rest of us with a background in proper English. Either
    > there should have been an "AND" in there, or the (which I will ...)
    Au contraire. If there had been an AND in there, it would have been
    ambiguous.

    "with DVD and Zip drive (which blah)" -> ambiguous, and most readers
    would take it to mean both DVD and Zip drive are blah.

    "with DVD, Zip drive (blue)" -> unambiguous - only the Zip drive is
    blue.

    Even if this wasn't usenet, you'd be out of order. Go play in traffic.
    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards Guest

  15. #15

    foo <foobar.com> wrote:
    >A *new* iBook that's over 50% faster (actually more), with the latest
    >OS, with Quartz Extreme support, etc. is $999. Why go with older
    >technology?
    I opted for a new iBook over a used Pismo a few months ago and
    (display defects notwithstanding) question that decision.

    G4 upgradeability and PCMCIA card support are two big things that work
    in the Pismo's favor.

    And there are some of us out there who still don't like and don't use
    OS X. ;-)
    H.B. Elkins mailto:hbelkinsmis.net or mailto:HBE1aol.com
    [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url]
    [url]http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins[/url]

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on Dale Earnhardt (RIP 2/18/01)

    I'm for Waltrip, Kentucky and whoever's playing North Carolina or Tennessee
    To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
    H.B. Elkins Guest