Professional Web Applications Themes

sun v120 + solaris 8 + scsi tape = failure - Sun Solaris

i found this very annoying problem i attach scsi tape drive (sun oryginal) to v120 server and in 4 of them its ok and in rest it doesnt detect tape (nothing helps) , more two machines after discotecting scsi hang after 5-15 minutes (nothing works even console) . have anyone got similar problems???? any ideas ??? tia kn...

  1. #1

    Default sun v120 + solaris 8 + scsi tape = failure

    i found this very annoying problem i attach scsi tape drive (sun oryginal)
    to v120 server and in 4 of them its ok and in rest it doesnt detect tape
    (nothing helps) , more two machines after discotecting scsi hang after 5-15
    minutes (nothing works even console) . have anyone got similar problems????
    any ideas ???

    tia

    kn

    ad Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: sun v120 + solaris 8 + scsi tape = failure

    In article <blrpkh$gi$gazeta.pl>, "ad" <pl> wrote:

    What does 'probe-scsi-all' show on these systems? If it can't see the
    drive, then it may be a cabling or termination problem.

    Does the problem move when you move the tape drive and cable to another
    system?

    Have you swapping out cables? Does the problem follow the cables?

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    > > i found this very annoying problem i attach scsi tape drive (sun
    original) [/ref]
    5-15 [/ref]
    problems????

    > What does 'probe-scsi-all' show on these systems? If it can't see the
    > drive, then it may be a cabling or termination problem.
    >
    > Does the problem move when you move the tape drive and cable to another
    > system?
    >
    > Have you swapping out cables? Does the problem follow the cables?[/ref]

    same tape same cable i cant do probe-scsi-all cause this serwer cant be down
    (at least not now) - i also though i could be termination problem but on few
    machines i made several backups and everything is ok - these two machines
    were connected to tape once and they hang (those are the same v120)

    tia
    kn

    ad Guest

  4. #4

    In article <bls01l$qmr$gazeta.pl>, "ad" <pl> wrote:
     [/ref]
    > original) [/ref]
    > 5-15 [/ref]
    > problems????
    > >
    > > What does 'probe-scsi-all' show on these systems? If it can't see the
    > > drive, then it may be a cabling or termination problem.
    > >
    > > Does the problem move when you move the tape drive and cable to another
    > > system?
    > >
    > > Have you swapping out cables? Does the problem follow the cables?[/ref]
    >
    > same tape same cable i cant do probe-scsi-all cause this serwer cant be down
    > (at least not now) - i also though i could be termination problem but on few
    > machines i made several backups and everything is ok - these two machines
    > were connected to tape once and they hang (those are the same v120)[/ref]

    I consider it 'standard and best practice' to shutdown systems when
    moving hardware. If you're having problems and you're not doing this,
    I'd schedule downtime to diagnose the issue.

    If you can't schedule downtime, why not setup a standby server which can
    take over for the primary, then take it down and figure out what's going
    on.

    If you can't take systems down to diagnose such problems, learn to live
    with them.

    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    ad wrote: [/ref]

    > original)
    > [/ref]
    >
    > 5-15
    > [/ref]
    >
    > problems????

    >>What does 'probe-scsi-all' show on these systems? If it can't see the
    >>drive, then it may be a cabling or termination problem.
    >>
    >>Does the problem move when you move the tape drive and cable to another
    >>system?
    >>
    >>Have you swapping out cables? Does the problem follow the cables?[/ref]
    >

    > same tape same cable i cant do probe-scsi-all cause this serwer cant be down
    > (at least not now) - i also though i could be termination problem but on few
    > machines i made several backups and everything is ok - these two machines
    > were connected to tape once and they hang (those are the same v120)
    >
    > tia
    > kn
    >
    >[/ref]

    Instead of moving a single tape unit between 6 (?) V120's I would consider
    installing the JUMPSTART environment on one of them and permanently install
    the tape unit on the JUMPStart server.
    Then I would use FLASHARCHIVES on 5 servers and dump these archives to the
    jumpstartsystem every night. and then do a tape backup.

    That would save you from moving this tape unit around every day.

    //Lars

    Lars Tunkrans
    smtp: lars dot tunkrans at bredband dot net

    Lars Guest