Professional Web Applications Themes

Sunscreen 3.2 or Ipfilter - Sun Solaris

Hi, I have been reading all the threads concerning firewalls for Solaris and for the most part they are all dealing with NAT and more complicated issues. I have one Solaris 9 box hooked up to a static (public IP) DSL line - all I need to do is block all but http & SSH, which product would be recomended in this situation? Chris...

  1. #1

    Default Sunscreen 3.2 or Ipfilter

    Hi,
    I have been reading all the threads concerning firewalls for Solaris and for
    the most part they are all dealing with NAT and more complicated issues. I
    have one Solaris 9 box hooked up to a static (public IP) DSL line - all I
    need to do is block all but http & SSH, which product would be recomended in
    this situation?
    Chris

    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sunscreen 3.2 or Ipfilter

    HI,

    Chris Wall wrote:
    IPfilter is much more easy to install and setup(textfiles and emacs),
    and for NAT/NATP fucntions IPfilter do that to. I don't know if there
    are something that Sunscreen does that ipfilter do, I would more guess
    the other way around :))

    You need NAT/NATP as soon as you hook up a second machine to you network
    if that machine need to connect to a external network, but I guess that
    you know that.

    There is no support for IPfilter, so for those that that is a concern,
    Sunscreen has a perfect place.

    You can get precompiled packages from the URL below.

    http://www.maraudingpirates.org/ipfilter/

    /michael

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks, I installed Ipfilter and I have to admit that it was very easy to
    install and configure! I was just worried that it might not be as solid as
    Sunscreen, then I think I read that the developer licensed some of the Sun
    code!

    BTW - I have business DSL with a router that allows me to run NAT to my
    internal machines and allows me to bridge to my 10 public IPs.

    Chris

    "Michael Laajanen" <com> wrote in message
    news:a7vYa.23251$telia.net... [/ref]
    for [/ref]
    I [/ref]
    I [/ref]
    recomended in
    > IPfilter is much more easy to install and setup(textfiles and emacs),
    > and for NAT/NATP fucntions IPfilter do that to. I don't know if there
    > are something that Sunscreen does that ipfilter do, I would more guess
    > the other way around :))
    >
    > You need NAT/NATP as soon as you hook up a second machine to you network
    > if that machine need to connect to a external network, but I guess that
    > you know that.
    >
    > There is no support for IPfilter, so for those that that is a concern,
    > Sunscreen has a perfect place.
    >
    > You can get precompiled packages from the URL below.
    >
    > http://www.maraudingpirates.org/ipfilter/
    >

    > /michael
    >
    >[/ref]

    Chris Guest

  4. #4

    "Chris Wall" <com> writes:

    Sunscreen has a handy java based gui admin screen, which runs
    abominably in Netscape but reasonably in the HotJava broswer. But
    Sunscreen won't do NAT and getting the rules the way you need them is
    deceptively hard.

    If you're doing NAT, IPFilter is probably what you want and if you
    care about gui setup tools, I seem to recall there are a few.
    IPFilter's config files are much easier to deal with- all you need is
    a text editor. The online howtos are thorough, you can configure and
    secure your box in an hour or so starting from scratch.

    If you don't care about NAT, IPFilter as a firewall is still a good
    choice due to the good howto's.

    Gregm

    Greg Guest