Professional Web Applications Themes

Support for multiple languages - MySQL

Hi faculties, I have a proposed application which should support two languages: Spanish and US English. The data will be stored in MySQL database. We will be having a single database. Can you please suggest about possible configurations needed to be done at the database side to accomplish this? Thanks in advance Jackal...

  1. #1

    Default Support for multiple languages

    jackal_on_work@yahoo.com Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: support for multiple languages

    com wrote:

    Nowhere near enough information to help you with this.

    In fact, the first question I would have is - why use a MySQL (or any
    other) database? There are many ways to make a program multi-lingual.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  4. #4

    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I agree to what you have mentioned. Yes, there
    are lots of changes on the GUI side such as displaying of screen
    lables. But if I need to display data from a table, e.g some product
    information, then we will have to fetch it from database. And
    depending on the user he will be able to view in on the front-end. A
    Spanish user will be able to view it in Spanish and while for others
    same product information will come in English.

    So can you advise, how can I achive this functionality on the
    database side?

    Thanks and Regards
    Jackal Hunt

  5. #5

    com wrote:
    >> Nowhere near enough information to help you with this.
    >>
    >> In fact, the first question I would have is - why use a MySQL (or any
    >> other) database? There are many ways to make a program multi-lingual.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ==================
    >> Remove the "x" from my email address
    >> Jerry Stuckle
    >> JDS Computer Training Corp.
    >> net
    >> ==================[/ref]
    >

    > Hi,
    > Thanks for the reply. I agree to what you have mentioned. Yes, there
    > are lots of changes on the GUI side such as displaying of screen
    > lables. But if I need to display data from a table, e.g some product
    > information, then we will have to fetch it from database. And
    > depending on the user he will be able to view in on the front-end. A
    > Spanish user will be able to view it in Spanish and while for others
    > same product information will come in English.
    >
    > So can you advise, how can I achive this functionality on the
    > database side?
    >
    > Thanks and Regards
    > Jackal Hunt
    >[/ref]

    (Top posting fixed)

    Jackal,

    Unless I'm missing something, I think you're looking at this the wrong
    way. A database just stores information and delivers it on demand.

    Determining which language is going to be displayed is not a database
    function. You need to do that in whatever language you're using to
    retrieve the data, and retrieve the appropriate data for your needs.

    P.S. Please don't top post.

    --
    ==================

  6. #6

    We did something similar, if I get your needs right.

    If you are sure that there are only two languages to be supported, just make
    two attributes for every text that needs to be localised. Ether use dynamic
    sql or use the client side to decide wich text top display.

    Another approach would be to use a language table and child tables for every
    table which needd localised info:
    - link to parent
    - localised text 1
    - link to language

    So you can support multiple languages. Take care of missing translations, as
    it is then a bad idea to display nothing....

    hth

    bernd

    <com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > > Nowhere near enough information to help you with this.
    > >
    > > In fact, the first question I would have is - why use a MySQL (or any
    > > other) database? There are many ways to make a program multi-lingual.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Remove the "x" from my email address
    > > Jerry Stuckle
    > > JDS Computer Training Corp.