Professional Web Applications Themes

Svr 03 web-ed; rem access to print spooler - Windows Server

Having problems sharing printers on the Windows server 2003 web edition. It gives me the message "Printer settings could not be saved. Remote connections to the Print Spooler are blocked by a policy set on your machine." Anyone know which policy will sort this problem? Tried looking but can't seem to see anything that would come close. Thanks in advance. Steve R...

  1. #1

    Default Svr 03 web-ed; rem access to print spooler

    Having problems sharing printers on the Windows server
    2003 web edition.

    It gives me the message "Printer settings could not be
    saved. Remote connections to the Print Spooler are blocked
    by a policy set on your machine."

    Anyone know which policy will sort this problem? Tried
    looking but can't seem to see anything that would come
    close.

    Thanks in advance.
    Steve R
    Steve R Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Svr 03 web-ed; rem access to print spooler

    The Web Edition is meant to be a webserver, and not a print server.

    Also see Usage and Limitations here:

    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/web.mspx[/url]

    --
    Regards,
    Kristofer Gafvert - IIS MVP

    "Steve R" <steverollinsonhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Having problems sharing printers on the Windows server
    > 2003 web edition.
    >
    > It gives me the message "Printer settings could not be
    > saved. Remote connections to the Print Spooler are blocked
    > by a policy set on your machine."
    >
    > Anyone know which policy will sort this problem? Tried
    > looking but can't seem to see anything that would come
    > close.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Steve R

    Kristofer Gafvert Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the speedy response. I kind of had the feeling
    it was gonna go that way, although there must be a way
    round it some how... I guess it means I'll have to go and
    move my machines round again.

    If anyone does find a way round this, let me know. Cheers.

    Thanks for the link.
    Steve

    Steve R Guest

  4. #4

    i found a way, if your printer has the option to use an ip
    address, you can share the printer that way, i was able to
    do everything but print because it's setup via usb, and i
    can share it thru the usb port, and working on that now

    Guest

  5. #5

    Good to hear someone has figured a way round this somewhat
    silly idea of disabling the print sharing, although it
    sounds like there is more hardware needed and that wasn't
    the way I was wanting to go. My printer's a rather cheap
    Epson that is USB and doesn't have a network interface,
    i.e. no IP, which would mean buying a print server.
    Wouldn't that kind of negate the need for sharing in the
    OS anyway? Anyhoo, like the sound of the USB share but not
    sure exactly what you mean there. Do you mean an extra
    little box thingy sat on the desk that acts like an A-B
    switch device? As with the print server idea this is not
    what I was after, I was looking for ways to do it via the
    OS, not extra hardware.

    Thanks for the ideas though, appriecated.
    Steve R

    Steve R Guest

  6. #6

    It's not a silly idea.

    You purchased a web server only version of Windows. If you did that knowing
    you wanted the machine to do more than just web serving then you bought the
    wrong version. Simple as that.

    AndyC

    Guest