Professional Web Applications Themes

swatch palette disappears - Adobe Indesign Windows

My colleague is working on a book using Indesign 1.5. Suddenly the swatch palette has disappeared and is nowhere to be found! It cannot be accessed through the view menu, it is not behind other palettes etc. It does not reappear when a new doent is opened or the program is restarted. The computer is fairly up to date and has plenty of RAM. She did at one point add a pantone library to the swatch palette, could this have anything to do with it? It worked fine for a while after she had added the pantones, however. Any guidance ...

  1. #1

    Default swatch palette disappears

    My colleague is working on a book using Indesign 1.5. Suddenly the swatch palette has disappeared and is nowhere to be found! It cannot be accessed through the view menu, it is not behind other palettes etc. It does not reappear when a new doent is opened or the program is restarted. The computer is fairly up to date and has plenty of RAM.

    She did at one point add a pantone library to the swatch palette, could this have anything to do with it? It worked fine for a while after she had added the pantones, however.

    Any guidance would be appreciated.

    Tom Johnstone.
    Tom_Johnstone@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: swatch palette disappears

    Has she tried simply trashing preferences?

    Always the first thing to try when really weird stuff happens.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Yep, that usually does it.

    Why do they have preferences anyway if you need to delete them so often?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I've never deleted my ID or Photoshop prefs at all.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Tom:

    You should also encourage your colleague to upgrade to a newer version of InDesign. Version 1 was so buggy as to be unusable, and v1.5 was essentially just a bug fix. Version 2 was a solid upgrade from a features perspective, but also quite buggy. Version 2.02 was the first truly usable version of the software. Version 3 (aka InDesign CS) is the best version yet, with more features, an improved interface, and better performance. I would not recommend that anyone continue using v1.x in any production environment.

    Scott
    Scott_McCullough@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I'm using CS and I still had to trash my preferences due to a problem I was having with my Tab palette. It got worse than that, I had to re-install ID because for some wierd reason ID would not start up anymore after trashing my preferences. Every time I tried to execute ID it would just crash and give me that "unexpected error" thing. I tried changing my preferences after re-installing it and then trashing them again to see if this problem would happen again and ID continued working just fine.

    Strange isn't it?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thank you for your message, I had a quite similar problem with Illustrator and it has been very usefull !
    Sandrine_JULIEN@adobeforums.com Guest