Professional Web Applications Themes

SWF files and security? - Macromedia Flex General Discussion

Could someone know a good decision for secured swf file, doesn't matter generated on the fly from Flex App Server or other environment? What I mean, is that SWF files are downloaded locally on the client machines (including Flex RIAs) and then executed from there. Now if there are transactions with important info like credit card info, etc. passing by from server to the swf file, isn't it pretty easy to decompile the swf file and take a nice detail look how things work. FOr example. SUppose there is a Flex application (means generated on the fly SWF file/files) to ...

  1. #1

    Default SWF files and security?

    Could someone know a good decision for secured swf file, doesn't matter
    generated on the fly from Flex App Server or other environment? What I mean,
    is that SWF files are downloaded locally on the client machines (including Flex
    RIAs) and then executed from there. Now if there are transactions with
    important info like credit card info, etc. passing by from server to the swf
    file, isn't it pretty easy to decompile the swf file and take a nice detail
    look how things work. FOr example. SUppose there is a Flex application
    (means generated on the fly SWF file/files) to be used. And inside the SWF
    files there are some client-side validations for vital info, after that this
    info is posting back to the Web server. The issue is, SWF files are easy to be
    decompiled in very readable code, at least that's my experience. My question:
    Can we encrypt the whole SWF file loaded from Flex Application server, not only
    to use a SSL connection for transactions, data and so. In this way the clients
    who are using Flex RIAs will not have the chance to decompile and see what's
    inside the SWF files coming from the Flex Server. Hope someone could realise
    my point and answer in a simple and detail manner. Thanks, Dimitar

    Dimitar Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SWF files and security?

    This is basic file management. An swf is just another file type, like html or
    a video, it gets downloaded via http or https (that would be http with ssl).
    So yes you can make sure that the swf is downloaded through an ssl channel.
    The protocl of http and https is the same it's just the content that has been
    changed. Also may I suggest that you don't do anything other then the most
    basic validation, such as the first 4 digits with the type of card. Nothing
    specific to your application, that should be left to be done on the server. A
    good rule of thumb is to validate what you would validate with javascript.
    Also with your flex apps, you should use GZip compression when possible, as
    well as ssl to communicate to the server. In my JRun 4 production servers I
    have a secure filter that runs ontop of everything the JRun servers serves up.
    I also put a GZip filter ontop of every flex remoteobject/web service I create.

    bdeen Guest

  3. #3

    Hi, It's easy, visit [url]http://www.dreamflysoft.com[/url] and download Cool
    File Encryption to help you.