Professional Web Applications Themes

Switch from SqlServer - MySQL

We do a lot of ETL using DTS. I'm new to Mysql and wonder what options it has to perform these tasks. The data is extracted from the host system to flat file (csv format) then loaded into the SQL table. Then users use Access with ODBC to run queries against. There are other Apps using these SQL tables that use StoredProcedures. How do you handle security with Nysql currently we have N/t roups defined then allow that group access to the App. Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Switch from SqlServer

    We do a lot of ETL using DTS. I'm new to Mysql and wonder what options it
    has to perform these tasks. The data is extracted from the host system to
    flat file (csv format) then loaded into the SQL table. Then users use Access
    with ODBC to run queries against. There are other Apps using these SQL
    tables that use StoredProcedures. How do you handle security with Nysql
    currently we have N/t roups defined then allow that group access to the App.

    Thanks.

    Andy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Switch from SqlServer

    Andy wrote:
    > We do a lot of ETL using DTS. I'm new to Mysql and wonder what options it
    > has to perform these tasks. The data is extracted from the host system to
    > flat file (csv format) then loaded into the SQL table. Then users use Access
    > with ODBC to run queries against. There are other Apps using these SQL
    > tables that use StoredProcedures. How do you handle security with Nysql
    > currently we have N/t roups defined then allow that group access to the App.
    >

    > Thanks.

    There is a fairly informative whitepaper on this subject
    [url]http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql_wp_mssql2mysql.php[/url]

    ciao
    gmax

    --
    _ _ _ _
    (_|| | |(_|>< The Data Charmer

  3. #3

    DTS is cool. MySQL does not have "DTS". It has some import command line
    tools. You can also use tools from other vendors. You can even use MS
    Access as that tool.

    Why are you using ODBC with Access when you could use Access Data Project,
    that has more native support for a SQL Server database?

    Stored procedures are relatively new to MySQL, and have some quirks and
    tweaks that can make them different from SQL Server.

    I am curious what system of data you are coming from, and why you don't DTS
    directly from it... is it not be accessible?

    As I understand it, MySQL does not have group-based implicit security. It
    only has user-based explicit security. It does not support network group
    rights. However, you can use or build some work-arounds to mimic this
    control...

    MySQL is not a database in and of itself. It is a server layer pluggable
    architecture to many different types of database engines, the most popular
    of which are MyISAM and InnoDB.

    MyISAM is not ACID compliant, does not support relational integrity,
    transactions, nor many other essentials. It is reported to have small
    footprint, and light on resources. It is reported to be fast.

    InnoDB is reportedly ACID compliant. With the right settings, it can be a
    very stable database, that accepts transactions, performs roll-back on
    errors, and many other frills you would expect from a stable database. The
    company that owns MySQL does not own InnoDB. Oracle does. Some updates and
    fixes have been released, but in my opinion (for what it's worth), not much
    else has happened to InnoDB in almost 2 years. InnoDB, if set up and
    indexed correctly, can actually be faster than MyISAM on reads, due to the
    differences in the way the data is stored by the two different engines.

    MySQL people are looking for more database engines that are ACID compliant,
    to improve upon in the open source territory. There are several starters,
    but apparently none at the level of InnoDB at this time.

    Migrating an in-place solution from MS SQL Server to MySQL is no easy
    undertaking, just to save a buck or two on licensing, and in many cases is
    not wise, nor cost effective at all. But it can be done. You still need
    good hardware. MySQL is supported best, and works best on Red Hat Linux...
    unless you have an expert to tweak another OS for you, including the MySQL
    installation on that OS along with the needed InnoDB settings. They do have
    a distribution that is fairly stable for MS Windows platforms.

    Cheers!

    ~ Duane Phillips.

    "Andy" <Hoosbruinkconline.com> wrote in message
    news:776dnSbdqfX3VXbZnZ2dnUVZ_qmdnZ2dkconline.com ...
    > We do a lot of ETL using DTS. I'm new to Mysql and wonder what options it
    > has to perform these tasks. The data is extracted from the host system to
    > flat file (csv format) then loaded into the SQL table. Then users use
    > Access
    > with ODBC to run queries against. There are other Apps using these SQL
    > tables that use StoredProcedures. How do you handle security with Nysql
    > currently we have N/t roups defined then allow that group access to the
    > App.
    >

    > Thanks.

    Duane Phillips Guest