Professional Web Applications Themes

switching cable modem from PC to Mac - Mac Networking

I have a cable modem hooked up to my Windows PC and am thinking of switching to back to a Mac. What is involved in doing this? Can I use the same modem? Is it easy to configure everything to use the same Earthlink/Time Warner email account? Thanks in advance....

  1. #1

    Default switching cable modem from PC to Mac

    I have a cable modem hooked up to my Windows PC and am thinking of switching
    to back to a Mac. What is involved in doing this? Can I use the same modem?
    Is it easy to configure everything to use the same Earthlink/Time Warner
    email account?

    Thanks in advance.

    Laura Van Sant Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: switching cable modem from PC to Mac

    "Laura Van Sant" <lauravcmindspring.com> writes:

    > I have a cable modem hooked up to my Windows PC and am thinking of
    > switching to back to a Mac. What is involved in doing this? Can I
    > use the same modem? Is it easy to configure everything to use the
    > same Earthlink/Time Warner email account?
    1: If you're using a gateway router, it's trivial. Just connect the Mac and
    configure TCP/IP according to what the router wants. You can even
    leave the PC connected and let both use the internet at once.

    2: If the modem is directly connected to the computer via Ethernet,
    attach it to the Mac and configure TCP/IP according to what your ISP
    wants (IP address, DNS, DHCP, PPPoE, etc.)

    3: If the modem is directly connected to the computer via USB, you'll
    need to ask your ISP. This will probably require a device driver of
    some sort. Mac drivers may be available, but I woluldn't count on
    it. See if your ISP can exchange your modem for an Ethernet-attached
    model.

    4: If it uses something more obscure (like an internal PCI
    connection), then there probably won't be any Mac support. See if
    you can get it replaced for an Ethernet-attached model.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  3. #3

    Laura Van Sant <lauravcmindspring.com> wrote:
    : I have a cable modem hooked up to my Windows PC and am thinking of switching
    : to back to a Mac. What is involved in doing this? Can I use the same modem?
    : Is it easy to configure everything to use the same Earthlink/Time Warner
    : email account?

    : Thanks in advance.

    So... Laura, tell us about your cable modem and how it connects to the
    computer.

    You'll also want to know how the WinPC is configured? Obtain IP address
    automatically? PPoE? Is there a login/password for the connection to Time
    Warner cable, or none? Finally, did you have to tell the cable company the
    MAC address of the PC? Is there another box (a router) between the cable
    modem and the computer?

    My cable modem system has:
    - Motorola Bitsurfer
    - Connected to computer by ethernet
    - No login/password
    - IP address is provided by DHCP
    - No, did not have to tell them the MAC address

    Tell us about yours, and we can probably help. This is all quite easy on a
    Mac.

    If you want to try something, in Mac OS X, System Preferences, Network,
    connect via ethernet, TCP/IP configure using DHCP... and see if that
    works.

    -- Sally
    --

    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
    [email]sshearstheWorld.com[/email] -or- [email]SallyShears.org[/email]