Professional Web Applications Themes

Switching from Project Builder to Xcode - General Questions - Mac Programming

I've been exploring Xcode since receiving my Panther CD's from Apple on Friday. While there are certainly tons of cool features and a lot of doentation, I've had a hard time finding answers to some specific questions I'd think would be relevant for a lot of people who will be transitioning from Project Builder to Xcode. 1) Should/can .pbproj files be converted to .xcode files? Xcode is of course able to use .pbproj files from Project Builder files. However when a new project is created the extension used is .xcode. I wonder if some xcode features will not be available ...

  1. #1

    Default Switching from Project Builder to Xcode - General Questions

    I've been exploring Xcode since receiving my Panther CD's from Apple on
    Friday. While there are certainly tons of cool features and a lot of
    doentation, I've had a hard time finding answers to some specific
    questions I'd think would be relevant for a lot of people who will be
    transitioning from Project Builder to Xcode.

    1) Should/can .pbproj files be converted to .xcode files? Xcode is of
    course able to use .pbproj files from Project Builder files. However
    when a new project is created the extension used is .xcode. I wonder if
    some xcode features will not be available for projects using the .pbproj
    representation?

    2) The release notes doent a procedure for converting Project
    Builder targets to Xcode Native targets. Is there any reason to keep
    the old targets in the project after conversion? Can the Xcode Native
    targets be built so they run under older versions of OSX?

    3) Will Xcode-Native targets derived from source and nib files that are
    free of any Panther-specific API calls run under Jaguar?

    4) What happened to the "Info.plist" editor that was in Project Builder?
    For some reason my application's Help Book is no longer displayed under
    Panther (after building as converted Native Xcode targets)...

    5) What happened to the "Help Indexer" that some versions of
    doentation advised using under pre-Panther versions of OSX? This
    would create a file called "Whatever Help.idx" following drag of the
    Help Book Folder for application "Whatever" onto the indexer icon.
    Eric Guest

  2. #2

    In article <mgh.harvard.edu>,
    Eric Raas <net> wrote:

    I'm not aware of any difference between .pbproj and .xcode. I would bet
    that the only actual difference is the name. But I don't really know.

    The only reason you might want to keep the old target is so that you can
    delete the new target and then open the file with project builder. Not a
    big reason.... Or if you're paranoid and afraid something will go wrong
    with the new target, of course.

    There's an entire section in the doentation about using Xcode on
    Panther to build apps that work on previous OS versions. Short story;
    you make sure you install the appropriate SDK(s) from your dev tools
    CDs, then you tell your project to use that SDK.

    Native targets have the Info.plist as a separate file in your project,
    instead of generating it on the fly. There's no built-in editor that
    I've seen, it just opens up as a text file. But in the preferences, you
    can tell Xcode to open .plist files in the Property List Editor, and
    then you're set.

    [5 snipped, don't know.]
    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Michael Ash <com> wrote in message news:<mail-F6799F.16391128102003localhost>...

    > I'm not aware of any difference between .pbproj and .xcode. I would bet
    > that the only actual difference is the name. But I don't really know.

    > The only reason you might want to keep the old target is so that you can
    > delete the new target and then open the file with project builder. Not a
    > big reason.... Or if you're paranoid and afraid something will go wrong
    > with the new target, of course.

    > There's an entire section in the doentation about using Xcode on
    > Panther to build apps that work on previous OS versions. Short story;
    > you make sure you install the appropriate SDK(s) from your dev tools
    > CDs, then you tell your project to use that SDK.

    > Native targets have the Info.plist as a separate file in your project,
    > instead of generating it on the fly. There's no built-in editor that
    > I've seen, it just opens up as a text file. But in the preferences, you
    > can tell Xcode to open .plist files in the Property List Editor, and
    > then you're set.
    >
    > [5 snipped, don't know.][/ref]

    Thanks for the very helpful answers - as for number 5 I found the
    "Apple Help Indexing Tool" - it is under
    /Developer/Doentation/Apple Help/ where it always was - there used
    to be a link in /Developer/Applications/ that does not seem to be
    preserved in Panther.

    My Help Books would not run under Panther with the old idx file - I
    had to re-index them.

    ER
    Eric Guest