Professional Web Applications Themes

Switching hub won't work with router - Mac Networking

Need some help getting a switching hub to work with a router. I have a D-Link DI-604+ router I'm using with my DSL service. It works perfectly with both my iBook's Airport card and a hard-wired Ethernet connection. Problem is, it only has four ports and my network has more than four devices. I need to hook up a couple more computers and a printer. So I obtained a Hawking Technologies 5-port 10/100 Mbps auto-negotiation switch, model number PN505ES. This has (obviously) five ports and an uplink port on the front. When I connect the switch to the router, I ...

  1. #1

    Default Switching hub won't work with router

    Need some help getting a switching hub to work with a router.

    I have a D-Link DI-604+ router I'm using with my DSL service. It works
    perfectly with both my iBook's Airport card and a hard-wired Ethernet
    connection.

    Problem is, it only has four ports and my network has more than four
    devices. I need to hook up a couple more computers and a printer. So I
    obtained a Hawking Technologies 5-port 10/100 Mbps auto-negotiation
    switch, model number PN505ES. This has (obviously) five ports and an
    uplink port on the front.

    When I connect the switch to the router, I cannot get a connection to
    the Internet when a computer is plugged into the switch. Everything
    works fine when the computer is plugged into the router with a Cat5
    cable, but no go when plugged into the switch, which is connected to
    the router.

    Anyone have any ideas on what's going wrong? Could it be that the
    Hawking hub and the D-Link router just don't play nice with each
    other?

    If no one has ideas on how to get this switch and router to work
    together, ideas on a switch that will work with the D-Link router
    would be appreciated.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
    [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url] hbelkins(at)mis.net

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

    Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

    Vote Ernie Fletcher for Governor of Kentucky! [url]http://www.fletcher2003.com[/url]

    To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Switching hub won't work with router

    In article <3f4c070d.61452news.newsguy.com>,
    [email]hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net[/email] (H.B. Elkins) wrote:
    > Need some help getting a switching hub to work with a router.
    >
    > I have a D-Link DI-604+ router I'm using with my DSL service. It works
    > perfectly with both my iBook's Airport card and a hard-wired Ethernet
    > connection.
    >
    > Problem is, it only has four ports and my network has more than four
    > devices. I need to hook up a couple more computers and a printer. So I
    > obtained a Hawking Technologies 5-port 10/100 Mbps auto-negotiation
    > switch, model number PN505ES. This has (obviously) five ports and an
    > uplink port on the front.
    >
    > When I connect the switch to the router, I cannot get a connection to
    > the Internet when a computer is plugged into the switch. Everything
    > works fine when the computer is plugged into the router with a Cat5
    > cable, but no go when plugged into the switch, which is connected to
    > the router.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas on what's going wrong? Could it be that the
    > Hawking hub and the D-Link router just don't play nice with each
    > other?
    >
    > If no one has ideas on how to get this switch and router to work
    > together, ideas on a switch that will work with the D-Link router
    > would be appreciated.

    Did you connect the router to the hub's uplink port? Without knowing
    anything about the situation, if that doesn't work, try a crossover
    cable and/or plug into a regular (not uplink) port on the hub.
    fishfry Guest

  3. #3

    In article <fishfry-FB060E.20015726082003netnews.attbi.com>,
    fishfry <fishfryyour-mailbox.com> wrote:
    > In article <3f4c070d.61452news.newsguy.com>,
    > [email]hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net[/email] (H.B. Elkins) wrote:
    >
    > > Need some help getting a switching hub to work with a router.
    > >
    > > I have a D-Link DI-604+ router I'm using with my DSL service. It works
    > > perfectly with both my iBook's Airport card and a hard-wired Ethernet
    > > connection.
    > >
    > > Problem is, it only has four ports and my network has more than four
    > > devices. I need to hook up a couple more computers and a printer. So I
    > > obtained a Hawking Technologies 5-port 10/100 Mbps auto-negotiation
    > > switch, model number PN505ES. This has (obviously) five ports and an
    > > uplink port on the front.
    > >
    > > When I connect the switch to the router, I cannot get a connection to
    > > the Internet when a computer is plugged into the switch. Everything
    > > works fine when the computer is plugged into the router with a Cat5
    > > cable, but no go when plugged into the switch, which is connected to
    > > the router.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any ideas on what's going wrong? Could it be that the
    > > Hawking hub and the D-Link router just don't play nice with each
    > > other?
    > >
    > > If no one has ideas on how to get this switch and router to work
    > > together, ideas on a switch that will work with the D-Link router
    > > would be appreciated.
    > >

    > Did you connect the router to the hub's uplink port? Without knowing
    > anything about the situation, if that doesn't work, try a crossover
    > cable and/or plug into a regular (not uplink) port on the hub.
    Also, some hubs have he uplink port in common with one of the normal
    ports, just crossed over internally. When that is the case, only one of
    the two ports may be used.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Stiller Guest

  4. #4

    [email]hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net[/email] (H.B. Elkins) writes:

    > When I connect the switch to the router, I cannot get a connection
    > to the Internet when a computer is plugged into the switch.
    > Everything works fine when the computer is plugged into the router
    > with a Cat5 cable, but no go when plugged into the switch, which is
    > connected to the router.
    When you connect the switch to the router, do you get link lights on
    the ports used for that cable? (If neither your router nor your
    switch have link lights, then you've got a _really_ cheap brand.)

    If the link lights don't come on, then your need to use either a
    different port or a different cable.

    Normally, you use a straight cable (pairs 1-4 connect to pairs 1-4) to
    connect a host to a hub. You use a crossover cable (pairs 2 and 3
    are swapped on one end) to connect two hosts to each other or to
    connect two hubs to each other.

    Some hubs have a "crossover" port which has pairs 2 and 3 swapped -
    this allows you to use that port to connect it to another hub using a
    straight cable.

    Some hubs have a switch that allows you to configure one port as
    straight or crossover.

    If you get the polarity wrong, then the link won't work. A hub or
    tranceiver with link lights will indicate this by indicating a "no
    carrier" condition (typically by the link light not coming on.)

    Note that the cable you're using for your Mac is not necessarily the
    right one to connect a router to a switch. Modern Macs have circuitry
    to auto-detect what's on the othe end of the cable and internally
    cross the wires if you use the wrong kind of cable.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  5. #5

    [email]shaminotechie.com[/email] (David C.) wrote:
    >When you connect the switch to the router, do you get link lights on
    >the ports used for that cable? (If neither your router nor your
    >switch have link lights, then you've got a _really_ cheap brand.)
    >
    >If the link lights don't come on, then your need to use either a
    >different port or a different cable.
    Link lights on both the router and switch, and I'll double check to
    see if the uplink port has a link light.
    >Normally, you use a straight cable (pairs 1-4 connect to pairs 1-4) to
    >connect a host to a hub. You use a crossover cable (pairs 2 and 3
    >are swapped on one end) to connect two hosts to each other or to
    >connect two hubs to each other.
    >
    >Some hubs have a "crossover" port which has pairs 2 and 3 swapped -
    >this allows you to use that port to connect it to another hub using a
    >straight cable.
    I had a cable plugged into the port next to the uplink port. I'll try
    unplugging that one and see if it clears up. I'll also try connecting
    the switch and router with a crossover cable.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++

  6. #6

    [email]hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net[/email] (H.B. Elkins) writes:

    > Link lights on both the router and switch, and I'll double check to
    > see if the uplink port has a link light.
    If all the relevant cables have link lights, then it's probably not a
    physical issue.

    Given that most inexpensive switches are unmanaged, there isn't too
    much more to check.

    Some switches/hubs (even ones without management interfaces) will
    allow you to configure them to "partition" the ports into multiple
    independant LAN segments - my 24-port Compaq Netelligent hub supported
    this. If the ports are partitioned, then packets sent to one
    partition will not get forwarded to any of the other partitions. An
    inexpensive switch/hub (or one with a small number of ports) will
    probably not have this feature.

    I've also seen unmanaged switches/hubs that will let you disable
    individual ports. If yours has this feature, make sure none of the
    ports are disabled.
    > I had a cable plugged into the port next to the uplink port. I'll
    > try unplugging that one and see if it clears up. I'll also try
    > connecting the switch and router with a crossover cable.
    That's another thing (which I didn't mention because othes have
    already mentioned it). Some inexpensive switches/hubs have an
    "uplink" port that is shared with another physical port. If you try
    to use both at once, you may find that neither end up working
    properly.

    -- David
    David C. Guest