Professional Web Applications Themes

Switching to ID - Adobe Indesign Windows

I recently began working in the marketing department of a business that uses Pagemaker for our page layout tool. We use this program because that is what our limited graphics department can handle(employees without much professional design or prepress experience). I am used to using quark and always hated it until coming here, now I think even that would be better than pagemaker. But I have heard from many people that ID is the way to go. What I need help with is this... Should I try to convince my boss to switch to ID? If so, any adice on ...

  1. #1

    Default Switching to ID

    I recently began working in the marketing department of a business that uses Pagemaker for our page layout tool. We use this program because that is what our limited graphics department can handle(employees without much professional design or prepress experience). I am used to using quark and always hated it until coming here, now I think even that would be better than pagemaker. But I have heard from many people that ID is the way to go.

    What I need help with is this...
    Should I try to convince my boss to switch to ID? If so, any adice on how to convince him? How difficult would the switch from Pagemaker to ID be? How difficult would the switch from Quark to ID be (the designers have plenty of experience with other adobe programs (Ill., Photoshop, etc.))?

    Thanks for your help, and please feel free to add any additional info that you think could help me out.
    atlee@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Switching to ID

    I think there's a PM FAQ that discusses all of the benefits of ID over
    PM. FWIW, most of the regulars in the PM forums are all now using ID.

    The conversion from Quark or PM is pretty painless but there is a small
    learning curve.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    FWIW, most of the regulars in the PM forums are all now using ID.

    Yes, this is very true. I was in the PM forum all the time and now spend most of my time here and switched to ID.
    I posted something before like you. There are lots of answers to your question and you can find them by reading through these links I've provided below.

    As you can see in the second link, Bob was the first to respond when I needed help getting my ID. Once again he is the first by responding to your post. Robert deserves more than a high five, I wish I could at least buy him a beer.

    Jay Chevako "History / Multiple Undo" 8/25/03 7:24am </cgi-bin/webx?14.2ccd1306/0>

    Robert Levine "Please help me get InDesign" 9/29/03 10:45am </cgi-bin/webx?14.2ccd91c2/0>

    maxdunn "InDesign Purchase Proposal" 6/12/03 7:53am </cgi-bin/webx?14.1de98253/0>

    ~Good luck
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    One more thing.

    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?224f03a4b8.2cce9022>
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    (the designers have plenty of experience with other adobe programs (Ill.,
    Photoshop, etc.))?

    Then this is your selling point. InDesign has certain features that are very similar to other Adobe products, and InDesign works very well with other Adobe print products such as Photoshop and Illustrator.
    Robert_Oliver@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Don't forget you can have a free trial of InDesign...what do you have to lose? Please also find a tutorial or book to help you as you try it out, I think you can't fully appreciate InDesign without being aware of all of its functionality. Classroom in a Book is good, and there are several "InDesign for Quark Users" references as well.

    Where I work, we had to choose whether to go to Quark or InDesign (from a very different, archaic software program)...my coworker and I convinced them InDesign was the way to go. Try it out, you'll be able to give specific examples of WHY it's better.

    I've used all three...I think InDesign s Quark and Pagemaker away. ESPECIALLY for people who are well versed in Illustrator and Photoshop (as Robert points out). That made the transition to InDesign fairly easy for me, it had a certain familiarity about it. Using the three products together is how Adobe intended it to be, and it's great.
    Lisa_Spike@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    You guys are great! Thank you so much for all the help.

    Keep it coming.
    atlee@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    You're welcome.

    Keep it coming.

    Did you read the posts in the links I gave you?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I haven't had the time to read them yet, but I will tonight when I get home. I really do appreciate them, I just figure I have to get at least a little bit of work done while I'm at work.
    atlee@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    For someone familiar with PageMaker and Illustrator, the learning curve to switch to InDesign is close to zero. All you'll need is the help files.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Adobe also offers the upgrade package from pagemaker to adobe indesign with the pagemaker plugin (with a valid pagemaker serial number). With the plugin you can use pagemaker shortcuts and convert your pagermaker templates to indesign as well as some other features of pagemaker.
    BeckyWC@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    There is a lot of really good info here. Gabriel, the links you gave were excellent. Exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. Hopefully it is just a matter of time before I become an InDesign user. Thanks to all of you.
    atlee@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Hopefully it is just a matter of time before I become an InDesign user.

    With your experience, I'm sure you will be on your way in no time at all.
    ~Good luck, cheers.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Thanks for the tip. At my current job we would only be using english, but thats good to know in case I buy it for any freelance work.
    atlee@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    I've had some problems with Greek, Russian Czech and some other languages
    using the ID CS I acquired through Adobe.

    I just want to add this comment in case there is anyone out there experiencing what I'd been through.
    I've overcome my troubles with the IE (International English) version. All problems with other languages displaying/printing properly were resolved by simply using "OpenType" fonts. If you stick to OpenType you should not have problems generating an Index, Table Of Contents or PDF bookmarks with the correct characters.

    Some of the advantages to using a CE version are as follows:

    Spelling Checker
    Allows you to check the spelling of your text in Czech, Greek, Polish and Slovak.

    Hyphenation Module
    Comes with a Hyphenation Module for serveral CE languages.

    Table of contents
    You can create a TOC for any doent or book in ID. ID CE comes with a set of TOC titles, one for each supported language. The TOC is also sorted according to the chosen language.

    ID CE lets you set various Sort Options for your indexes according to the language you are dealing with.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Good deal, those links are exactly what I was looking for as well!

    Thank y ou
    Dan_Coy@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Does anyone know how to install InDesign 2.0 CE so it will have an English interface? I did it once, then my computer crashed and I can't seem to repeat the process. Thanks.
    jnwest@adobeforums.com Guest