Professional Web Applications Themes

Switching tools without mouse from text mode?!? - Adobe Indesign Windows

Is there any way to switch tools from text mode? I know I can hit control to temporarily get to the selection tool but I'd also like to temporarily get to the direct selection tool from text mode....

  1. #1

    Default Switching tools without mouse from text mode?!?

    jack_zucker@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Switching tools without mouse from text mode?!?

    There are several approaches to this I've seen.

    I would press Ctrl+Shift+A to deselect, then press A to choose the Direct Selection tool.

    You could also ADD an additional shortcut for the Direct Selection tool with Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts. It would let you call out the tool when you're in text.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Steve. How do I get back to text mode from direct select without mouse clicking?
    jack_zucker@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Pressing the letter T gives you the Text tool. Or, double-clicking with the Direct Selection tool over a text frame gives you the text tool and an insertion point. (The latter method requires the mouse, but how else would you get an insertion point?)
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Pressing the letter T gives you the Text tool. Or, double-clicking with
    the Direct Selection tool over a text frame gives you the text tool and
    an insertion point. (The latter method requires the mouse, but how else
    would you get an insertion point?)

    It really should be possible to do all of this without the mouse. It should remember the last selection point just like it does when you're in the text editor and you press control to temporarily change the text tool to the selection tool.

    Seems funny for Adobe to have this bugaboo in their workflow since Photoshop is so nice for this type of thing. Different development groups I guess. :-)
    jack_zucker@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Different strokes, I guess. But the fact there's no way to go back to the insertion point has never slowed me down. Seems like a rather minor issue, rarely requested on this forum.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Oh, by the way, the more important feature is that InDesign CS and CS2 do REMEMBER TEXT THAT'S SELECTED after you hold down the Control key to temporarily resize the frame, or whatever. InDesign 2 and earlier didn't do that. That's very useful. Obviously it's not going to do that if you choose the Deselect command.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Oh, by the way, the more important feature is that InDesign CS and CS2
    do REMEMBER TEXT THAT'S SELECTED after you hold down the Control key to
    temporarily resize the frame, or whatever. InDesign 2 and earlier didn't
    do that. That's very useful. Obviously it's not going to do that if you
    choose the Deselect command.

    I agree that's nice in CS2.

    It'd be nice if you could hit control-shift and get to the direct selection tool just like hitting control to get to the selection tool.

    Surprised they didn't solve that issue. Regarding it being discussed on this forum, that doesn't have anything to do with the issue unless your saying that it's not a popular enough request to merit adobe taking notice. If that's what you're saying then perhaps you're right.

    Not many folks on the forum seem to need auto-numbering and references either so obviously my requirements are in the minority.
    jack_zucker@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    > Not many folks on the forum seem to need auto-numbering and

    These are two of the most asked for InDesign features on these forums.
    Guy_Smiley@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    These are two of the most asked for InDesign features on these forums.

    Weren't you telling me in the other thread that that feature wasn't needed?
    jack_zucker@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Not many folks on the forum seem to need auto-numbering and references
    either so obviously my requirements are in the minority.

    I have made a script plus tutorial for making semi-automatic cross references using hyperlinks. If you are interested, you will find more about that here:

    Teus de Jong, "Page References" #13, 6 Aug 2005 6:30 am </cgi-bin/webx?13.3bbb6574/12>

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Does your script do auto-numbering? If so I'd be very grateful!
    jack_zucker@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    It does not do auto-numbering, but it does cross references with semi-automatic updating of page references. Running the script will update references like "For this subject see page xx'.

  14. #14

    How hard would it be to add a counter? :-)
    jack_zucker@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    That would be a completely different project. Nevertheless, I think it would be possible. Say you have separate paragraph styles for chapters, sections, etc., it will maybe not that difficult to make a simple semi-automatic numbering system for them.

    The first problem is that ID does not have counters internally. So have to set it up yourself. Also, all the possoble methods of numbering used. Maybe I back off here. But also maybe I will pick up the challenge after my holiday. A few days and I will be off for a couple of weeks.

  16. #16

    > These are two of the most asked for InDesign features on

    I'm not sure what "other thread" you are talking about, but I seriously
    doubt it, as I consider both of those features quite useful. But even
    if I did think they were useless, how would that be relevant to their
    popularity?
    Guy_Smiley@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I'm not sure what "other thread" you are talking about, but I seriously
    doubt it, as I consider both of those features quite useful. But even
    if I did think they were useless, how would that be relevant to their
    popularity?

    Well,

    I've almost switched to Framemaker but at this point it feels like such an old fashioned program and then there's the learning curve associated with it...

    I tried downloading the virginia systems insequence but it seems quirky. It didn't update properly across chapters.
    jack_zucker@adobeforums.com Guest