Professional Web Applications Themes

SWS - 100% newbie - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hi there, I am a total newbie here. I need to put a database on the webpage and thus I am evaluating Dreamweaver MX. I have borrowed some books and did some reading and found that most books will refer to Coldfusion MX or SQL Server. Can I use MS Access (it is for intranet) without using server applications like Coldfusion MX or SQL Server? By the way, what is the best book that I can buy bearing in mind that I don't have knowledge in SQL Server, Coldfusion and Dreamweaver. Must I learn up Coldfusion or SQL Server first??? ...

  1. #1

    Default SWS - 100% newbie

    Hi there,

    I am a total newbie here. I need to put a database on the webpage and
    thus I am evaluating Dreamweaver MX. I have borrowed some books and
    did some reading and found that most books will refer to Coldfusion MX
    or SQL Server.

    Can I use MS Access (it is for intranet) without using server
    applications like Coldfusion MX or SQL Server?

    By the way, what is the best book that I can buy bearing in mind that
    I don't have knowledge in SQL Server, Coldfusion and Dreamweaver.
    Must I learn up Coldfusion or SQL Server first??? I am hoping that
    learning and being productive isn't too painful here!!!

    Regards,
    SWS

    songws Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SWS - 100% newbie

    First Access and SQL Server are databases and you use Cold Fusion to
    interact with them - i.e. retrieve data, add data, delete data etc. Access
    is fine if you are not expecting much traffic. Use sql server if there is
    going to high levels of traffic. Since you dont have experience in any of
    this you have a lot learning to do. I'd start by looking at the help files
    in dwmx. Also consult the articles on Macromedia's site. Also you can try
    here: [url]http://www.basic-ultradev.com/articles/Links.htm[/url]
    Those are a bunch of links with many relating to dynamic sites
    "songws" <songwssg.sg1> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am a total newbie here. I need to put a database on the webpage and
    > thus I am evaluating Dreamweaver MX. I have borrowed some books and
    > did some reading and found that most books will refer to Coldfusion MX
    > or SQL Server.
    >
    > Can I use MS Access (it is for intranet) without using server
    > applications like Coldfusion MX or SQL Server?
    >
    > By the way, what is the best book that I can buy bearing in mind that
    > I don't have knowledge in SQL Server, Coldfusion and Dreamweaver.
    > Must I learn up Coldfusion or SQL Server first??? I am hoping that
    > learning and being productive isn't too painful here!!!
    >
    > Regards,
    > SWS

    Showjumper Guest

  3. #3

    Access by itself doesnt have any web use. To let a user interact with access
    vai a webpage you need cold fusion or some other server side language. Yes
    access can be used as a standalone program on the machine that its installed
    on.
    > Showjumper,
    >
    > Thanks for the prompt response. I heard from a friend that Access can
    > be used without Coldfusion, is that correct?
    >
    > Regards,
    > SWS
    >
    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:58:38 -0400, "Showjumper"
    > <shojumpergrkjashdjkf.com> wrote:
    >
    > >First Access and SQL Server are databases and you use Cold Fusion to
    > >interact with them - i.e. retrieve data, add data, delete data etc.
    Access
    > >is fine if you are not expecting much traffic. Use sql server if there is
    > >going to high levels of traffic. Since you dont have experience in any of
    > >this you have a lot learning to do. I'd start by looking at the help
    files
    > >in dwmx. Also consult the articles on Macromedia's site. Also you can try
    > >here: [url]http://www.basic-ultradev.com/articles/Links.htm[/url]
    > >Those are a bunch of links with many relating to dynamic sites
    > >"songws" <songwssg.sg1> wrote in message
    > >news:a39sgv4rqgjcsgopefab4bd1ojoci7cqsi4ax.com.. .
    > >> Hi there,
    > >>
    > >> I am a total newbie here. I need to put a database on the webpage and
    > >> thus I am evaluating Dreamweaver MX. I have borrowed some books and
    > >> did some reading and found that most books will refer to Coldfusion MX
    > >> or SQL Server.
    > >>
    > >> Can I use MS Access (it is for intranet) without using server
    > >> applications like Coldfusion MX or SQL Server?
    > >>
    > >> By the way, what is the best book that I can buy bearing in mind that
    > >> I don't have knowledge in SQL Server, Coldfusion and Dreamweaver.
    > >> Must I learn up Coldfusion or SQL Server first??? I am hoping that
    > >> learning and being productive isn't too painful here!!!
    > >>
    > >> Regards,
    > >> SWS

    Showjumper Guest