Professional Web Applications Themes

Symbol font and InDesign CS - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hello! I created an InDesignCS doent with symbol font. Everything was fine. I could print it and create pdfs. When I opened the doent again some days later, InDesign told me that the symbol font was missing. I followed all the steps mentioned in the knowledge base article. No success. All other programmes can use the symbol font and the path to find it is the same as for other fonts that I can use without problems with InDesignCs. Operating system: Windows 2000 I use Type Manage Deluxe 4.1 Any ideas what I could do? Thank you very much in ...

  1. #1

    Default Symbol font and InDesign CS

    Hello!

    I created an InDesignCS doent with symbol font.

    Everything was fine. I could print it and create pdfs.

    When I opened the doent again some days later, InDesign told me that the symbol font was missing.

    I followed all the steps mentioned in the knowledge base article. No success.

    All other programmes can use the symbol font and the path to find it is the same as for other fonts that I can use without problems with InDesignCs.

    Operating system: Windows 2000
    I use Type Manage Deluxe 4.1

    Any ideas what I could do?

    Thank you very much in advance!

    Sverigeclau
    Claudia_Huber@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Symbol font and InDesign CS

    Did it tell you that the font was missing or some style of that font, perhaps that you've inadvertently applied to a character (possibly an invisible one like a tab or space).

    When you use Find Font on the Type menu, does the Symbol font appear in the list of fonts at the bottom of the dialog? If so, then you should select it there.

    Now, select the missing Symbol font in the list above and click Find First, then change -- I always make the first of these kinds of changes carefully like this to be sure that I'm getting what I really want. Once I'm satisfied, I click Change All.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you very much for your quick answer!

    It told me that the font was missing (I didn't apply any style I checked this for each occurrence of the font).

    When I use "Find Font" on the Type menu the Symbol font doesn't appear in the list of fonts at the botton of the dialogue (I had checked this before asking).

  4. #4

    In that case, you must have inadvertently removed the Symbol font from your system (or at least disabled it).

    I can't help you with details on that because I'm a Mac user and I have not clue about how Windows manages fonts.

  5. #5

    Thanks for your help.

    The font is on my system. It's in the same folder as the other fonts and all other programmes can still use it. It is enabled in ATM 4.1 (I disabled and re-enabled it several times as this was a solution for other font problems).

  6. #6

    I have this identical problem. Existing doents using Symbol show it as a
    missing font but it is installed in ATM and useable in other applications.
    Its a real pain.
    --
    Cyndee Meystel

    Cyndee_Meystel@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    As a workaround, try copying that font to the Adobe/fonts folder.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  8. #8

    It is already in the Adobe fonts folder(as well in Programs/Shared/Adobe/Fonts as in InDesign/Fonts).
    Claudia_Huber@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Doesn't help.

  10. #10

    One possibility: You may have multiple versions of the font installed. For example, a TrueType system version, and a Type 1 version. You should make sure you only have one version installed.

    Thomas_Phinney@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    There is only one version installed (Type 1).
    This was the first thing I checked as I knew that this could cause problems.

  12. #12

    I do have both Type 1 and TrueType version, but only the Type 1 is activated
    with ATM. Do I need to actually remove the TT from my system? Thanks.
    --
    Cyndee

    Cyndee_Meystel@adobeforums.com Guest