Professional Web Applications Themes

Sympatico and postfix -- recent problems - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

For about three years now, I have been using postfix with my Sympatico account to send email from my Linux box. Over the last two years or so, we have been using a DSL line. Before that, we used ordinary dial-up without difficulty. I run Redhat 8.0 at the moment, with procmail, fetchmail, mutt and postfix (ie, something like the usual suspects). Until about three weeks ago, all was right with the world. Then, I started getting errors from my Sympatico smtp server when I tried sending mail using mutt and postfix. The errors consisted of "Connection refused" or "relaying ...

  1. #1

    Default Sympatico and postfix -- recent problems

    For about three years now, I have been using postfix with my Sympatico
    account to send email from my Linux box. Over the last two years or
    so, we have been using a DSL line. Before that, we used ordinary
    dial-up without difficulty. I run Redhat 8.0 at the moment, with
    procmail, fetchmail, mutt and postfix (ie, something like the usual
    suspects).

    Until about three weeks ago, all was right with the world. Then, I
    started getting errors from my Sympatico smtp server when I tried
    sending mail using mutt and postfix. The errors consisted of
    "Connection refused" or "relaying to [insert name of addressee host
    here] not allowed" or something to that effect. I haven't changed
    anything in my configuration. Sympatico denies having changed
    anything at their end, but frankly I don't believe them.

    I can still send mail from Mozilla without difficulty. I sent a test
    message to myself using Mozilla. An examination of the test message's
    header reveals that Mozilla identified itself as sending from a
    machine with a (dynamic) IP address (ie my box's temporary IP
    address). My understanding is that postfix typically does not do
    this. Instead, the IP address or hostname is "hard coded" so that the
    message identifies itself as coming from "postfix at
    localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.0]". Is this the problem?

    Fyi, I have implemented header re-writing with postfix so that the
    envelope "From" header shows the email coming from my real Sympatico
    email address.

    I tried switching to null-mailer today, but I get the same errors.

    I have three more questions:

    1. Has anybody else recently encountered the problem I describe above?

    2. How can I watch my MTA's conversation with the remote smtp server
    to see what is going on? Assume that I know how to interpret such a
    conversation if I can see it.

    3. Does anybody have any suggestions on what else I should try?

    I am desperate for help because (a) I love mutt and (b) I love being
    able to edit my messages using post-mode in emacs.
    Orange Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sympatico and postfix -- recent problems

    Orange Free <ca> wrote:

    What are you using for your smart host? I was using
    smtp10.sympatico.ca for several weeks ... since the last email
    problems surfaced. Over the weekend I started getting similar errors.

    This morning I saw a post in sympatico.highspeed ... it stated to "go
    back to the original smtp1.sympatico.ca. I did it today and now the
    problem is resolved ... for now. I use smail!

    Good luck!
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.
    Doug Guest

  3. #3

    In article <com>, Doug Mitton
    wrote:

    I was on smtp1 when the problem first surfaced. After three phone
    calls to support, someone finally told me to switch to smtp8, which
    worked until yesterday. Yesterday, they told me that server was down
    and then, in my second call to them, they told me no it wasn't (and it
    never had been). Anyway, neither smtp8 or smtp1 worked yesterday or
    this morning.

    Ok, I'll try it again and see what happens.

    Part of the problem with Sympatico is that as soon as you tell them
    you run Linux, they stop listening. I kept telling them that I wasn't
    asking for help with my box, I just wanted to know what the hell
    *they* were up to. That didn't get me any where of course. I also
    told one guy that they should be giving me a *discount* for using
    Linux because my machine isn't vulnerable to 99% of the M$-related
    crap out there that is choking the Net.

    Thanks,

    John
    Orange Guest

  4. #4

    Orange Free <ca> wrote:

    >I was on smtp1 when the problem first surfaced. After three phone
    >calls to support, someone finally told me to switch to smtp8, which
    >worked until yesterday. Yesterday, they told me that server was down
    >and then, in my second call to them, they told me no it wasn't (and it
    >never had been). Anyway, neither smtp8 or smtp1 worked yesterday or
    >this morning.

    >Ok, I'll try it again and see what happens.
    >
    >Part of the problem with Sympatico is that as soon as you tell them
    >you run Linux, they stop listening. I kept telling them that I wasn't
    >asking for help with my box, I just wanted to know what the hell
    >*they* were up to. That didn't get me any where of course. I also
    >told one guy that they should be giving me a *discount* for using
    >Linux because my machine isn't vulnerable to 99% of the M$-related
    >crap out there that is choking the Net.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >John[/ref]

    If I thought I wouldn't get a DROID I'd make the same request ...
    discount for not using Windows that is! I always like the looks on
    peoples faces when they ask the question "what do you use for virus
    protection" and I reply "Linux"!

    I try not to call in to the help line unless the service is down for a
    LONG time ... which has only happened once in over 3 years. They told
    me there were nor problems. After a bit of a dance around they
    escalated me up and said I'd get a call within 24 hours (?). At
    exactly 5 pm on that day the service came back on. Very strange!

    Good luck on your problem.

  5. #5

    In article <com>, Doug Mitton
    wrote:

    Thanks. Well, the plot thickens. Using the very helpful directions
    at AOL, I telnetted to the Sympatico servers (both smtp1 and smtp8).
    I HELO'd using 'localhost' and 'localhost.localdomain', and received
    '250' as the response. I then sent email to myself at work, once
    using as the MAIL FROM "header" my home email address and again using
    a deliberately munged version of that same address. Both messages
    were sent successfully!!

    postfix, however, still cannot talk to these servers. The error is
    "server refused mail service". nullmailer gave me the same errors.

    So, maybe the problem is at my end, some how, although I will swear
    that I haven't changed my postfix configuration.
    Orange Guest

  6. #6

    Orange Free <ca> writes:

     [/ref]

    <Entering wild_guess mode>

    You didn't perhaps hardcode the IP addresses of the Sympatico
    mailservers in /etc/hosts and they changed them? Try running
    postfix with strace and see where postfix is trying to connect
    to, and what the result actually looks like.

    </Leaving wild_guess mode>

    Michael

    --
    Michael Buchenrieder * greenie.muc.de * http://www.muc.de/~mibu
    Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) & Official Nets

  7. #7

    In article <muc.de>, Michael Buchenrieder wrote:

    Thanks for the wild guess. mailq shows that postfix did try to send
    the messages in the queue to the ip address of the relevant server.
    maillog shows the same thing. The ip address of the "smart relay" is
    "hard coded" into the postfix main.cf file. My /etc/hosts only has
    the loopback in it.
    Orange Guest