Professional Web Applications Themes

Synchronize Frontpage Web with Contribute - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

Ich would like to make and save changings on my website with Contribute CS 3. The has been created by frontpage. Frontpage makes a lokal copy of the web on the harddisk. This copy is synchronized with the copy on the server. When i try to change and update webpages with contribute CS3 only the html-pages on the server are changed. Is there a possbilty to tell contribute to make a lokal copy of the site on the harddisk? otherwise frontpage always tells me that there's a newer copy of a page on the server... then i have to change ...

  1. #1

    Default Synchronize Frontpage Web with Contribute

    Ich would like to make and save changings on my website with Contribute CS 3.
    The has been created by frontpage. Frontpage makes a lokal copy of the web on
    the harddisk. This copy is synchronized with the copy on the server.

    When i try to change and update webpages with contribute CS3 only the
    html-pages on the server are changed. Is there a possbilty to tell contribute
    to make a lokal copy of the site on the harddisk?

    otherwise frontpage always tells me that there's a newer copy of a page on the
    server... then i have to change my local site which is a rather stupid
    workflow...

    mw1972 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Synchronize Frontpage Web with Contribute

    Why would you use Contribute to update a Frontpage website? You can just use
    Frontpage. Contribute is designed to work together with Dreamweaver but can be
    used as a stand alone application. It's not designed to keep local copies of
    the site, because dreamweaver is taking care of that. This is in the help
    files, o you can create a local copy:

    Exporting a Web Page or Blog Entry (Windows only)
    Contribute lets you export a web page or blog entry from Contribute to an
    external HTML file. You can save the file anywhere on your computer or network.

    If you export a new web page with images--that is, a page you haven't
    published yet--you'll see the images in your exported web page. If you edit an
    existing web page--a previously published page--you might not see all the
    images on your exported page. This is because the new web page references local
    versions of the images, and the existing page references images that are saved
    on your website.

    To export a web page or blog entry:
    1. Browse to the web page or blog entry to export.

    2. Do one of the following:

    ? If you are exporting a web page, click the Edit Page button in the toolbar.

    ? If you are exporting a blog entry, click the Edit Entry button in the
    toolbar.

    3. Select File > Export.

    The Export dialog box appears.

    4. Select a location to save the exported file.

    5. Enter a filename.

    6. Click Save.

    The exported file appears in the folder you selected.

    When you have a lot of files this is not a practical solution though...

    ThinkInk Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you for your quick reply.

    I don't neccessarily have to use Frontpage. We have a website made and
    administrated with frontpage. We've recently bought adobe web standard cs3
    package...

    I am not too familiar with dreamweaver yet but the updating and the authoring
    function in Contribute seemed so easy so I thought I will try it out...

    The aim is to import the old frontpageweb into Dreamweaver and from then on to
    work with dreamweaver and contribute.

    Do you know if this is possible without any trouble?

    Do you know a tutorial how to import a frontapgewerb into a dreamweaversite?

    If then imported into Dreamweaver will Contribute save the changings made on
    the server-pages also on the harddisk?

    Thank you for the answer.

    Markus (Sorry for my bad English...)

    mw1972 Guest

  4. #4

    Yes you can import a website in Dreamweaver, but:

    1. Frontpage created a huge amount of code that is a real menace if you want
    to create accessible and valid code, this code will be imported, but can be
    (partially) removed after importing the site by cleaning up the HTML under the
    commands option in the menu
    2. You're missing out on the Templates in Dreamweaver with editable regions
    that show up in Contribute and seperates design from content

    Contribute will not save the updated information to your harddisk, only to the
    server, unless you take extra actions as explained in the previous post.

    Best way to go, I think, is to create a Dreamweaver template (maybe from the
    Frontpage template) with editable regions. Maybe you can use find and replace
    options to ease up the process, but I think you'll need o pro to help with such
    a process.

    This is what Dreamweaver help says about importing:

    Edit an existing remote website in Dreamweaver
    You can use Dreamweaver to copy an existing remote site (or any branch of a
    remote site) to your local disk and edit it there, even if you didn?t use
    Dreamweaver to create the original site.

    Create a local folder to contain the existing site and set up the folder as
    the local folder for the site.
    Note: You must locally duplicate the entire structure of the relevant branch
    of the existing remote site.
    Set up a remote folder, using the remote access information about the existing
    site. You must connect to the remote site to download the files to your
    computer before you can edit them.
    Make sure to choose the correct root folder for the remote site.

    In the Files panel (Window > Files), click the Connects To Remote Host button
    (for FTP access) or the Refresh button (for network access) in the toolbar to
    view the remote site.
    Edit the site:
    If you want to work with the entire site, select the root folder of the remote
    site in the Files panel, and click Get in the toolbar to download the entire
    site to your local disk.

    If you want to work with just one of the files or folders of the site, locate
    the file or folder in the Remote view of the Files panel, and click Get in the
    toolbar to download that file to your local disk.

    Dreamweaver automatically duplicates as much of the remote site?s structure as
    is necessary to place the downloaded file in the correct part of the site
    hierarchy. When editing only one part of a site, you should generally include
    dependent files, such as image files.

    ThinkInk Guest