Professional Web Applications Themes

System goes down - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have Red Hat 8.0 installed. If I upload files via FTP the system goes down and reboots itself. This is the message on my FTP (WS_FTP) client: ====================================== STOR 241-90.pdf 150 Go ahead make my day ^W^W^Wsend me the data. ! Send error: connection reset Trasmitted 131584 bytes in 18.9 secs, (68.26 Kbps), transfer failed ====================================== Does anyone tell me what this could be caused by? Cheers Daniele...

  1. #1

    Default System goes down

    ======================================
    STOR 241-90.pdf
    150 Go ahead make my day ^W^W^Wsend me the data.
    ! Send error: connection reset
    Trasmitted 131584 bytes in 18.9 secs, (68.26 Kbps), transfer failed
    ======================================

    Does anyone tell me what this could be caused by?

    Cheers

    Daniele

    Ubi Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: System goes down

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.]
    Ubi enlightened us with:

    Please do not crosspost.

    Check your system for changed files. I'm sure RPM can check MD5sums.
    Also run chkrootkit to find out if your system was tampered with.

    This looks like someone messed with your server.

    Sybren
    Sybren Guest

  3. #3

    > > I have Red Hat 8.0 installed.

    I preferred to do "crosspost" (by writing one single message posted to
    different newsgroups) instead of writing single messages to different
    newsgroups, because this is the way accepted by netiquette. In this way, if
    you read the message in any of the groups it was posted, it will
    automatically appear as read also in the other groups.

    > Check your system for changed files. I'm sure RPM can check MD5sums.
    > Also run chkrootkit to find out if your system was tampered with.[/ref]

    Sorry, but I quite didn't understand what I should do.
    I typed "chkrootkit" in the shell but the command wasn't recognised.

    > This looks like someone messed with your server.[/ref]

    I searched with google for that message and it appear to be a standard one.

    Cheers

    Daniele

    Ubi Guest

  4. #4

    > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.]

    that's annoying. I don't follow a.o.l
    Therefor I again post to both groups.

    > Please do not crosspost.[/ref]

    There is nothing wrong with this..
    As long as the OP is not multiposting.

    > Check your system for changed files. I'm sure RPM can check MD5sums.
    > Also run chkrootkit to find out if your system was tampered with.

    > This looks like someone messed with your server.[/ref]

    Nah. This looks like the default welcome message from
    vsFTPd or ws_ftp or something like that. (whatever RH 8 ships with)

    The reboot is worrying though. Check the logs I'd say.

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  5. #5

    Eric Moors enlightened us with:

    > that's annoying. I don't follow a.o.l
    > Therefor I again post to both groups.[/ref]

    See why crossposting is annoying? I'm sticking to netiquette by
    setting a Followup-To: header, but you rip it off again (for reasons I
    completely understand). That's why I don't like crossposting. Oh, and
    my Usenet client basically forces me to set a followup-to header, so
    I'm doing more trouble than it's worth, just for you ;-)

    I agree that multiposting is more annoying than crossposting.

    Sybren
    Sybren Guest

  6. #6

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.]
    Ubi enlightened us with:

    True, but the preferred way is to post to the most appropriate group
    (which is only one) and see if people there can help you. If they
    can't, move on to another group.

    You should install it first. You can get it at
    http://www.chkrootkit.org/

    Weird message... Anyways, running chkrootkit every once in a while
    won't harm ;-)

    Sybren
    Sybren Guest

  7. #7

    Eric Moors wrote:

    > that's annoying.[/ref]

    Oh, so that justifies annoying a lot of other people??? How selfish.

    If you don't follow it, don't post to it.
    pacifican Guest

  8. #8

    "Ubi" <it.NOSPAM> writes:

    ]> > I have Red Hat 8.0 installed.
    ]>
    ]> Please do not crosspost.

    ]I preferred to do "crosspost" (by writing one single message posted to
    ]different newsgroups) instead of writing single messages to different
    ]newsgroups, because this is the way accepted by netiquette. In this way, if
    ]you read the message in any of the groups it was posted, it will
    ]automatically appear as read also in the other groups.

    Igonore the self styled net police. As long as you cross post to
    groups which are relevant, it is fine.

    ]> > If I upload files via FTP the system goes down and reboots itself.

    Huh?? How? What are you running? What messages appear? As a user, your
    system should not reboot itself with ftp. ftp is a userland program,
    and it should not be able to do nasty stuff.

    ]>
    ]> Check your system for changed files. I'm sure RPM can check MD5sums.
    ]> Also run chkrootkit to find out if your system was tampered with.

    rpm -Va|grep '^..5'>/tmp/verify
    and then look through the resultant files for changes. Many will be
    configuration files which should have changed. ftp, find, ls, ...
    should not.

    If you trust rpm, then make sure find is the original one, and then
    use find to look for suid files.

    ]Sorry, but I quite didn't understand what I should do.
    ]I typed "chkrootkit" in the shell but the command wasn't recognised.

    You need to download that command from the net and run it to check for
    root kits installed on your system.

    ]> > STOR 241-90.pdf
    ]> > 150 Go ahead make my day ^W^W^Wsend me the data.
    ]>
    ]> This looks like someone messed with your server.

    ]I searched with google for that message and it appear to be a standard one.

    Bill Guest

  9. #9

    pacifican <org> writes:

    ]Eric Moors wrote:

    ]>> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.]
    ]>
    ]> that's annoying.

    ]Oh, so that justifies annoying a lot of other people??? How selfish.

    You mean like posting trivial and obnoxious posts commenting on how
    others post?

    ]> I don't follow a.o.l
    ]> Therefor I again post to both groups.
    ]>

    ]If you don't follow it, don't post to it.

    Nuts. Many people do not follow some groups. Thus if you want them to
    see your posting you need to post to the groups that may be relevant.

    While I agree that posting to groups you never read is a bit
    pointless, since you may not see the answer, crossposting will usually
    mean that if someone on that group replies to your post you will see
    in on the groups you do follow. Thus a question of postfix on Mandrake
    could well be posted both to the mandrake and the postfix mailing
    lists. The former in case it is a peculiarity of the implimentation on
    Mandrake, and the latter in case it is some feature of postfix itself.

    Bill Guest

  10. #10

    Sybren Stuvel <imagination.com> writes:

    ]Eric Moors enlightened us with:
    ]>> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.]
    ]>
    ]> that's annoying. I don't follow a.o.l
    ]> Therefor I again post to both groups.

    ]See why crossposting is annoying? I'm sticking to netiquette by
    ]setting a Followup-To: header, but you rip it off again (for reasons I
    ]completely understand). That's why I don't like crossposting. Oh, and
    ]my Usenet client basically forces me to set a followup-to header, so
    ]I'm doing more trouble than it's worth, just for you ;-)

    GEt a different client. Why are you trying to impose self generated
    rules on others just to make your own life easier. Talk about selfish.

  11. #11

    Sybren Stuvel <imagination.com> said:

    Not honoring this. Perhaps I should retaliate by only posting this in
    comp.os.linux.setup?

    >True, but the preferred way is to post to the most appropriate group
    >(which is only one) and see if people there can help you. If they
    >can't, move on to another group.[/ref]

    Crossposting is appropriate here -- and definitely preferred to
    multiposting (which would be the result of posting the same question
    repeatedly to several groups, when no answer is forthcoming from one
    group). The point with crossposting instead of multiposting is that
    those who are reading all those groups only need to skip (or answer) the
    question once, instead of seeing it again and again in a multitude of
    groups. Also crossposting keeps all groups up-to-date about what has
    been proposed, instead of having the same ideas repeated in each of
    the separate groups.

    One clear issue here is that alt.os.linux has too much overlap with
    the various comp.os.linux groups, and thus unnecessarily fragments the
    discussion.
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland
    (GC 3.0) GIT d- s+: a C++ ULSH++++$ P++ L+++ E- W+$ N++ !K w !O !M V

  12. #12

    Bill Unruh wrote:

    > GEt a different client. Why are you trying to impose self generated
    > rules on others just to make your own life easier. Talk about selfish.[/ref]

    No offense, but those aren't self generated rules. They have been
    agreed upon since just after Usenet was invented. The fact that 'slrn'
    (the greatest newsreader in existence) tries to force you to follow
    netiquette is a *plus* in my book.

    --
    PeKaJe

    Dow's Law: In a hierarchical organization, the higher the level, the
    greater the confusion.
    Peter Guest

  13. #13

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:05:51 +0200, Ubi
    <it.NOSPAM> wrote:

    Is it the server or the client that reboots itself? (Or are both
    running on the same machine?)

    --
    Commander Spiral Pyjama Pseudo-Rhinocerous Feline Thingamajig Bill Mar
    (the First)

  14. #14

    > > I have Red Hat 8.0 installed.
    >
    > Is it the server or the client that reboots itself? (Or are both
    > running on the same machine?)[/ref]

    The server reboots itself.
    By the way, we decided to install Red Hat 9.0, so we are going to reformat
    the PC anyway.

    Thanks

    Daniele

    Ubi Guest