Professional Web Applications Themes

system not booting after modprobe - Ubuntu

I followed the instructions here: [url]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=344884[/url] in order for my ubuntu system to recognise my tv card.I succesfully bought up tvtime and tuned into a few channels - all fine. The system was working fine. Following a power down and restart however, the system reaches a certain point in startup and the screen listing modules being loaded just starts scrolling up as if the ENTER key was held down. The X Windows clears the screen and hangs : no logon. I switch to a text terminal ctl-alt-f1 and can see my breezy prompt, but again its is scrolling : something ...

  1. #1

    Default system not booting after modprobe

    I followed the instructions here:

    [url]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=344884[/url]

    in order for my ubuntu system to recognise my tv card.I succesfully
    bought up tvtime and tuned into a few channels - all fine.

    The system was working fine.

    Following a power down and restart however, the system reaches a certain
    point in startup and the screen listing modules being loaded just starts
    scrolling up as if the ENTER key was held down. The X Windows clears the
    screen and hangs : no logon. I switch to a text terminal ctl-alt-f1 and
    can see my breezy prompt, but again its is scrolling : something in the
    device drivers is injecting what appears to be CR/LF into the tty/stdin.

    I can only boot into XP.

    Any suggestions on how I can rewind the system from either (a) XP -and
    then I will need to somehow see the ext3 file system , or (b) from a DVD
    boot of knoppix.

    All help gratefully received : I have no idea of what the modprobe has
    affected and am totally unable to log into my system in any mode whatsoever.

    regards.
    Walter Mitty Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: system not booting after modprobe

    "Walter Mitty" <mitticus> wrote in message
    >I followed the instructions here:
    >
    > [url]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=344884[/url]
    >
    > in order for my ubuntu system to recognise my tv card.I succesfully bought
    > up tvtime and tuned into a few channels - all fine.
    >
    > The system was working fine.
    >
    > Following a power down and restart however, the system reaches a certain
    > point in startup and the screen listing modules being loaded just starts
    > scrolling up as if the ENTER key was held down. The X Windows clears the
    > screen and hangs : no logon. I switch to a text terminal ctl-alt-f1 and
    > can see my breezy prompt, but again its is scrolling : something in the
    > device drivers is injecting what appears to be CR/LF into the tty/stdin.
    >
    > I can only boot into XP.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how I can rewind the system from either (a) XP -and
    > then I will need to somehow see the ext3 file system , or (b) from a DVD
    > boot of knoppix.
    >
    > All help gratefully received : I have no idea of what the modprobe has
    > affected and am totally unable to log into my system in any mode
    > whatsoever.
    >
    > regards.

    Have you tried removing the card to see if you can get control booting
    again?

    I remember reading about some sort of rollback function in something.
    Perhaps you can roll back the driver or maybe locate one of it's files and
    experiment.

    At least computers aren't built like they build cars. If so, we would have
    to have an 80 pound tool chest and to get at the cards, you would have to
    get at the motherboard.

    I had the same odd keyboard behavior as you except it was in windows today,
    I had something under the keyboard enter switch, and it was just Happening
    to stick at certain times.

    Garry Freemyer Guest

  3. #3

    On 2005-12-07, Garry Freemyer <garryfrepacbell.net> dropped the ball when he ventured :
    > "Walter Mitty" <mitticus> wrote in message
    >>I followed the instructions here:
    >>
    >> [url]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=344884[/url]
    >>
    >> in order for my ubuntu system to recognise my tv card.I succesfully bought
    >> up tvtime and tuned into a few channels - all fine.
    >>
    >> The system was working fine.
    >>
    >> Following a power down and restart however, the system reaches a certain
    >> point in startup and the screen listing modules being loaded just starts
    >> scrolling up as if the ENTER key was held down. The X Windows clears the
    >> screen and hangs : no logon. I switch to a text terminal ctl-alt-f1 and
    >> can see my breezy prompt, but again its is scrolling : something in the
    >> device drivers is injecting what appears to be CR/LF into the tty/stdin.
    >>
    >> I can only boot into XP.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on how I can rewind the system from either (a) XP -and
    >> then I will need to somehow see the ext3 file system , or (b) from a DVD
    >> boot of knoppix.
    >>
    >> All help gratefully received : I have no idea of what the modprobe has
    >> affected and am totally unable to log into my system in any mode
    >> whatsoever.
    >>
    >> regards.
    >>

    > Have you tried removing the card to see if you can get control booting
    > again?
    No.

    > I remember reading about some sort of rollback function in something.
    > Perhaps you can roll back the driver or maybe locate one of it's files and
    > experiment.
    Are you for real? "some sort of rollback function"? "Experiment"? You don't know do you?

    > At least computers aren't built like they build cars. If so, we would have
    > to have an 80 pound tool chest and to get at the cards, you would have to
    > get at the motherboard.
    Hmm. Thanks for that.

    > I had the same odd keyboard behavior as you except it was in windows today,
    > I had something under the keyboard enter switch, and it was just Happening
    > to stick at certain times.

    Its not my return key sticking or I wouldnt have been able to boot into windows to post the question. Unfortunately.

    Unfortunately my entire system was hosed so I reinstalled Ubuntu from scratch.

    --
    "I prefer rugby to soccer. I enjoy the violence in rugby, except when
    they start biting each other's ears off." - Elizabeth Taylor (1972)