Professional Web Applications Themes

System Printer - SCO

I have tried to configure the printer using mkdev lp and setup as follow: printer model: I try hp, epson, HPLaserJet, HPDeskJet 500 device: /dev/lp Then I print a file temp1 as # lp temp1 There is no reponse for the printer. However if I connect a epson dot matrix printer or HP laser printer. Then the file can be printed out. Thanks. Tman "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jprjpr.com> wrote in message news:20030624135548.GC1299jpradley.jpr.com... > tman typed (on Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 06:13:22PM +0800): > | Hi, > | > | Anybody over there know that SCO 5.0.6 can support USB system ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: System Printer

    I have tried to configure the printer using mkdev lp and setup as follow:
    printer model: I try hp, epson, HPLaserJet, HPDeskJet 500
    device: /dev/lp

    Then I print a file temp1 as # lp temp1

    There is no reponse for the printer.

    However if I connect a epson dot matrix printer or HP laser printer. Then
    the file can be printed out.

    Thanks.
    Tman

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jprjpr.com> wrote in message
    > tman typed (on Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 06:13:22PM +0800):
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | Anybody over there know that SCO 5.0.6 can support USB system printer?
    > |
    > | I have a Samsung SCX-1150F Copier/Fax/Scanner/Printer Four-in-One
    printer
    > | with USB and parallel interface.
    > |
    > | Can I setup this printer to connect unix console in USB connection?
    >
    > No.
    >
    > | Also, I have configured the parallel port (mkdev parallel) and printer
    > | (mkdev lp) in unix and connected in parrallel. However I still cannot
    print
    > | out to it.
    >
    > And what did you exactly try?
    >
    > --
    > JP

    tman Guest

  2. #2

    Brian K. White wrote:
> [...]
    >>
    >>>tman typed (on Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 06:13:22PM +0800): | Hi, | |
    >>>Anybody over there know that SCO 5.0.6 can support USB system printer?

    >>printer

    >>>No.

    >>>printer | (mkdev lp) in unix and connected in parrallel. However I
    >>>still cannot
    >>
    >>print

    >>>And what did you exactly try?
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>JP
    >

    > Before even *bothering* to plug a strange new printer into a unix box, or
    > print to it by any means from a unix box, before even buying the thing for
    > that matter, you look up it's specs on line and verify that it understands
    > either PCL or PS.
    >
    > By starting with plain guess of [url]www.samsung.com[/url], and plugging in the model
    > number into their search field, I arrived at the following page:
    > [url]http://www.samsung.com/Products/MultiFunctionProducts/support/Download/manual/index.htm[/url]
    >
    > page 186 of scx1150f_english.pdf states that the printing emulation is
    > GDI, in other words it is a brainless, windows-only printer.
    >
    > This all took under _2 minutes_ without previously having any familiarity
    > with this printer or samsung printers in general or the samsung web site.
    >
    > Translation: Since it was so quick and easy to find this info, that means
    > you are here asking others to help you when you didn't even do the
    > slightest lick of research into the problem yourself. That is pretty
    > annoying. I'd have understood if you had at least gotten to the point
    > where you found the docs and saw the part about the emulation, and simply
    > didn't know the significance of GDI vs PCL or PostScript, but it doesn't
    > _appear_ that you even tried to look into the matter at all, just plugged
    > it in, it didn't work, and took no further action than to post here "why
    > don't it work?" and sit back and wait for the problem to be solved for
    > you.
    >
    > now to pre-emptively answer two of your possible next questions:
    >
    > No it will not work any better by hooking it to a windows box and printing
    > to it from unix via facetwin/samba/visionfs, although, if you do that, and
    > also install PrintWizard on the windows box, then you can print from unix
    > to it. That is about the only way you will be able to print anything from
    > unix to that printer.
    >
    > There is another arrangement that _looks_ like printing from unix to it:
    > You could hook the printer to the unix box, share it via
    > facetwin/samba/visionfs and install the drivers on the pc's so the pc's
    > print to it, but that is not "printing to it from unix", in that case unix
    > is just accepting bytes from windows and stuffing them at the printer.
    > unix cannot directly do anything useful with it like print from unix apps.
    >
    > Basically, somebody just got themselves a really nifty, personal desktop
    > printer but the office still needs a printer for unix.

    I second all that. The critical indicators are support in the printer
    for PCL5 and PS page control languages.

    For printers to work with SCO OSR5, I'd start by looking at
    [url]http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html[/url]

    Of course, some printers that work with Linux may not work with OSR5,
    but I'm pretty sure that any printer that doesn't work with Linux will
    also be a problem under OSR5 - so this web site provides a first pass at
    the selection process. There are recommendations for multifunction devices.

    YMMV.

    --
    Ian Wilson.

    Ian Wilson Guest