Professional Web Applications Themes

system restore - Windows XP/2000/ME

This usually means the SR data store is corrupted. The fix is to turn off System Restore and turn it back on. This will remove all current restore points but they are useless to you at the moment anyway. Open Control Panel, open System, go to the System Restore tab, place a check next to "Turn off System Restore on all drives." Click apply and ok and reboot the system. Now, return to the same tab, remove the check, click apply and ok, reboot. Then, manually create a restore point after which try to restore to that point and see ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: system restore

    This usually means the SR data store is corrupted. The fix is to turn off
    System Restore and turn it back on. This will remove all current restore
    points but they are useless to you at the moment anyway. Open Control
    Panel, open System, go to the System Restore tab, place a check next to
    "Turn off System Restore on all drives." Click apply and ok and reboot the
    system. Now, return to the same tab, remove the check, click apply and ok,
    reboot. Then, manually create a restore point after which try to restore to
    that point and see if it works.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "bill" <abcd2005hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Lost all restore points. Will not restore forwards or
    > backwards. System restore is enabled. Cannot get to 90% of
    > my regular web sites. Any ideas?

    Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP-Windows Shell/User\) Guest

  2. #2

    Default SYSTEM RESTORE

    Every system restore point I pick to back to says restroe
    could not restore the the selected point select another
    point, which I have done. I tried 6 different restore
    points and always get the same message, could someone
    please give me a little help?

    V/R

    Scott
    S Hatcher Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Scott,

    Once system restore gets messed up, the best thing to do is to disable it,
    reboot, then reenable it. This will also remove all existing restore points
    and you start from scratch. To do this, go to the Control Panel/System/SR
    tab and click on hte box to disable SR on all drives. Close and reboot, then
    reverse the steps.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
    [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url]
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    [url]www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone[/url]
    Win98 Help - [url]www.rickrogers.org[/url]

    "S Hatcher" <shatcherattbi.com> wrote in message
    > Every system restore point I pick to back to says restroe
    > could not restore the the selected point select another
    > point, which I have done. I tried 6 different restore
    > points and always get the same message, could someone
    > please give me a little help?
    >
    > V/R
    >
    > Scott

    Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers Guest

  4. #4

    Now we know why he calls himself "nutcase".!
    The poor chap has got a stuffed comp & is trying to restore it. You tell him
    to ditch all his backups?
    Better finish helping him......... tell him to take the comp outside & get
    the dog to lift his leg on it?
    If things are this bad it looks like a "repair" from CD?

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rickmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Scott,
    >
    > Once system restore gets messed up, the best thing to do is to disable it,
    > reboot, then reenable it. This will also remove all existing restore
    points
    > and you start from scratch. To do this, go to the Control Panel/System/SR
    > tab and click on hte box to disable SR on all drives. Close and reboot,
    then
    > reverse the steps.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
    > [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url]
    > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    > [url]www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone[/url]
    > Win98 Help - [url]www.rickrogers.org[/url]
    >
    > "S Hatcher" <shatcherattbi.com> wrote in message
    > > Every system restore point I pick to back to says restroe
    > > could not restore the the selected point select another
    > > point, which I have done. I tried 6 different restore
    > > points and always get the same message, could someone
    > > please give me a little help?
    > >
    > > V/R
    > >
    > > Scott

    BruceM Guest

  5. #5

    The reply was a good and logical one. If data in the restore area on disc
    gets corrupt you cannot do a restore. The SIMPLEST way to clear the area is
    turn off restore and then turn it back on. Do you by chance have an easier
    or better way to restore the restore function? (without being so uppity of
    course)
    "BruceM" <bruce9950hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Now we know why he calls himself "nutcase".!
    > The poor chap has got a stuffed comp & is trying to restore it. You tell
    him
    > to ditch all his backups?
    > Better finish helping him......... tell him to take the comp outside & get
    > the dog to lift his leg on it?
    > If things are this bad it looks like a "repair" from CD?
    >

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rickmvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Hi Scott,
    > >
    > > Once system restore gets messed up, the best thing to do is to disable
    it,
    > > reboot, then reenable it. This will also remove all existing restore
    > points
    > > and you start from scratch. To do this, go to the Control
    Panel/System/SR
    > > tab and click on hte box to disable SR on all drives. Close and reboot,
    > then
    > > reverse the steps.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,
    > >
    > > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
    > > [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url]
    > > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    > > [url]www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone[/url]
    > > Win98 Help - [url]www.rickrogers.org[/url]
    > >
    > > "S Hatcher" <shatcherattbi.com> wrote in message
    > > > Every system restore point I pick to back to says restroe
    > > > could not restore the the selected point select another
    > > > point, which I have done. I tried 6 different restore
    > > > points and always get the same message, could someone
    > > > please give me a little help?
    > > >
    > > > V/R
    > > >
    > > > Scott

    Unknown Guest

  6. #6

    When I right click 'my computer' and choose 'properties',
    I get the message below, I hit ok and move on as usual Or
    when i go directly to 'system restore' i get this same
    error message. Any idea what would cause this to happen?
    And how does Remote Assistance play into this when I have
    always had this 'feature' turned off? Any help would be
    very much appreciated. Thanks in advance. ~GT

    rundll32.exe - Entry Point Not Found
    The procedure entry point
    RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located
    in the dynamic link library WINSTA.dll
    GT Guest

  7. #7

    On a native 2k domain with XP clients, is it possible to force each XP
    client to create regular system restore points?

    Keith Guest

  8. #8

    "Keith" <.> wrote in message news:eIAoE1rSDHA.632TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > On a native 2k domain with XP clients, is it possible to force each XP
    > client to create regular system restore points?
    Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
    [url]http://microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itcommunity/Newsgroups/FAQSRWXP.asp[/url]

    When are Restore Points created on my machine?
    Answer: The user can manually create a restore point at any time on their
    machine using the System Restore wizard. Restore Points are also
    automatically created on your machine when:

    Installing an unsigned device driver
    Installing System Restore compliant applications (Installing an application
    that uses Windows Installer, or Install Shield Pro version 7.0 or later,
    causes System Restore to create a restore point.)
    Installing an update by using Automatic Updates
    Performing a System Restore operation so the user can undo that restore
    operation if needed
    Restoring data from backup media using the Backup tool.
    Creating daily restore points (System Restore creates a restore point every
    24 hours if the computer is turned on, or if it has been 24 hours since the
    last restore point was created.)

    XPUSER Guest

  9. #9

    Where are the folders for the restore points located?
    elektriker58 Guest

  10. #10

    They are in a hidden folder on C.
    "System Volume Information"
    You should not make changes directly to that folder, you may cause
    problems.
    Use other methods such as Disk Clean-up or adjusting the size of
    System Restore to make changes to the files.

    See this link for more information:
    [url]http://microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itcommunity/Newsgroups/FAQSRWXP.asp[/url]

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

    "elektriker58" <elektriker58cox.net> wrote in message
    > Where are the folders for the restore points located?

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] Guest

  11. #11

    it dosen't work at all every time I try to access it it
    sends a error report to Microsfot but no articles for it
    can it be re-installed
    Raymond Guest

  12. #12

    http://microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itcommunity/Newsgroups/FAQSRWXP.asp
    Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
    or http://tinyurl.com/1770

    "Raymond" <com> wrote in message

    Taurarian Guest

  13. #13

    Tried to do a system restore but there were no restore
    points available. All boxes are unchecked and both Hard
    Drives show the status as being monitored. Also could not
    do a manual save restore point as i get an error " System
    Restore is not able to create a restore point "
    Any help in being able to save an install point would be
    appreciated. Cheers
    Ian Guest

  14. #14

    Hi

    Have you got at least 200Mb free space on your hard disk/partition? The following article may help:

    "Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302796

    There are some other links at the bottom of that page that may be helpful.

    Will

    "Ian" <net.au> wrote in message news:046801c359a4$5e1a8210$gbl...

    ---
    Will Guest

  15. #15

    while the xp boots up press F8 while it show the progress
    indicator and select last known good configuration from
    the menu after this go to command prompt run > cmd.exe
    bhisham Guest

  16. #16

    This function does not work. Each time I invoke it in My
    Computer, I get an error message from MS asking me to
    report the error.
    Can this be fixed?
    Joe Guest

  17. #17

    >"Joe" <net> wrote:

    Try accessing Restore via Start \ Programs \ Accessories \ System
    Tools.

    Maureen Guest

  18. #18

    When attempting to run Restore, I get the following
    message:

    rstrui.exe entry point not found

    the procedure entry point
    RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located
    in the dynamic link library WINSTA.dll

    Any idea what's goint on? How do I get Restore back?
    Mitch Guest