Professional Web Applications Themes

System, User, Application usage reporting tool - Linux / Unix Administration

I am looking for a application that will track historical system,user,application usage on UNIX platforms (AIX,RedHat,SuSe). I currently collect this information through sar and the such. This works fine. However, monthly reporting to management becomes a large task to gather all this information and created reports. Does anyone know of a tool/app that can automate this process for me? Thanks for any advice KevinC...

  1. #1

    Default System, User, Application usage reporting tool

    I am looking for a application that will track historical
    system,user,application usage on UNIX platforms (AIX,RedHat,SuSe). I
    currently collect this information through sar and the such. This works
    fine.

    However, monthly reporting to management becomes a large task to gather all
    this information and created reports.

    Does anyone know of a tool/app that can automate this process for me?

    Thanks for any advice
    KevinC

    Kevin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: System, User, Application usage reporting tool

    In article <BECE02DF.2B40%net>,
    Kevin Campbell <net> wrote:

    Traditionally, collection of application usage data is done by process
    accounting. That's a _big_ disk space strain. If you have the local
    disk space on every machine to accommodate this sort of data collection,
    great.

    Otherwise, I think you're going to have to come up with a set of "jacket
    scripts" that instrument the data collection for a selected set of
    applications and deploy those on each machine. Then you can build
    whatever tools you like based on what information you collect.

    What you're asking for is usually done by the OS with very little
    granularity. The fact that there's multiple platforms involved
    complicates your requirements.

    But I have a question for you. Can you cope with the huge information
    influx this will cause? What about data retention and archival of it?
    What types of metrics are actually being requested that's driving this
    request (sounds like an upper-management type reporting project)? In
    any case, this may be a case of you having to 'roll your own' system to
    collect the data and report on it to your management's satisfaction.

    Good luck with that...

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Kevin Campbell <net> wrote:

    You might want to look into SAS IT Resource Management (ITRM):
    http://www.sas.com/solutions/itresource/index.html

    I used it at a large financial firm a while ago, doing this kind of
    stuff. It's pretty powerful and comprehensive. On the downside, it's
    expensive, and it requires you to learn and use a certain amount of SAS.
    My apologies to anyone who actually _likes_ SAS, but IMO SAS is fugly,
    and it resembles awk as imagined by a 1976 mainframe user (which is
    pretty much what the truth).

    Alternately, you might like something like SarCheck:
    http://www.sarcheck.com
    I've never used it, but I hear decent things about it.

    JDW

    Jeremiah Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:34:42 -0700, Michael Vilain <net> wrote:

    > Traditionally, collection of application usage data is done by process
    > accounting. That's a _big_ disk space strain. If you have the local
    > disk space on every machine to accommodate this sort of data collection,
    > great.[/ref]

    Well, not always. Take a look at http://www.zabbix.org/ - open-source
    tools to do most if not all of what you're trying to do. We've been
    using it for a couple weeks now, as an adjunct/possible replacement to
    some of other monitoring tools (nagios, cacti). Easy to configure, and
    despite the "alpha" versioning description, stable for us. Check out
    the guy's site, and try it - quick to install, so no investment of time
    to waste to try it out.

    Well, all of these problems have already been solved. Why re-write
    something as commodity as this?

    A better approach is to manage your managers. "Here's the reports and
    how to interpret what they're telling you" is a hell of a lot better for
    your sanity than "Give me your wish-list of features and I'll try to
    find a tool that matches all of them", because it's not going to happen.

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest

  5. #5

    In article <net>,
    Dave Hinz <net> wrote:

    > > Traditionally, collection of application usage data is done by process
    > > accounting. That's a _big_ disk space strain. If you have the local
    > > disk space on every machine to accommodate this sort of data collection,
    > > great.[/ref]
    >
    > Well, not always. Take a look at http://www.zabbix.org/ - open-source
    > tools to do most if not all of what you're trying to do. We've been
    > using it for a couple weeks now, as an adjunct/possible replacement to
    > some of other monitoring tools (nagios, cacti). Easy to configure, and
    > despite the "alpha" versioning description, stable for us. Check out
    > the guy's site, and try it - quick to install, so no investment of time
    > to waste to try it out.
    >[/ref]

    OOOOOHHHH, mikey likes it! Thanks Dave.

    Michael Guest

  6. #6

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:24:31 -0700, Michael Vilain <net> wrote: [/ref]

    Isn't that nice? But, don't thank Dave, thank the nice Latvian guy who
    wrote it. He's receptive to feedback and suggestions, by the way.
    Dave Guest

  7. #7

    Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner wrote:

    > You might want to look into SAS IT Resource Management (ITRM):
    > http://www.sas.com/solutions/itresource/index.html
    >
    > I used it at a large financial firm a while ago, doing this kind of
    > stuff. It's pretty powerful and comprehensive. On the downside, it's
    > expensive, and it requires you to learn and use a certain amount of SAS.
    > My apologies to anyone who actually _likes_ SAS, but IMO SAS is fugly,
    > and it resembles awk as imagined by a 1976 mainframe user (which is
    > pretty much what the truth).
    >
    > Alternately, you might like something like SarCheck:
    > http://www.sarcheck.com
    > I've never used it, but I hear decent things about it.
    >
    > JDW
    >[/ref]

    sarcheck is what he wants - it produces an English language narrative of
    sar data. He can probably just forward the output as is to the managers.

    Very nice tool.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: com
    Pat Guest

  8. #8

    In comp.unix.admin Dave Hinz <net>:

    >> Traditionally, collection of application usage data is done by process
    >> accounting. That's a _big_ disk space strain. If you have the local
    >> disk space on every machine to accommodate this sort of data collection,
    >> great.[/ref][/ref]

    Looks nice, unsure about performance issues if you have a large
    amount of targets. Didn't saw a possibilty to proxy request?

    I'm using mrtg/rrdtool, which has the upside of being pretty
    extend-able but needs on the downside some work to get things up.

    Collecting data can be done in almost anyway, snmp is one of the
    easiest and adds (using net-snmp) the ability to proxy requests.

    mail: echo qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    #bofh excuse 260: We're upgrading /dev/null
    Michael Guest

  9. #9

    In comp.unix.admin Michael Heiming <michael+heiming.de>: [/ref][/ref]
    [..]
     [/ref]

    Raises another question, it seems to store data in some mysql db,
    is there any kind of data compression built in, like rrdtool uses
    with its .rrd files used to store data? IMHO one of the strongest
    points rrdtool has to offer. Haven't yet seen any other tool able
    to store data for this long in such a little space, which is
    quite critical if you have a large amount of targets you want to
    monitor/record.

    mail: echo qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    #bofh excuse 85: Windows 95 undoented "feature"
    Michael Guest