Professional Web Applications Themes

Tab-delimited or CSV - Performance difference??? - ASP Database

Hi All Due to using a combo of OLEDB/ADO/ASP and JavaScript I was having trouble reading in CSV data so I converted my client's web site to use tab-delimited instead. Better for me, but client is adamant that their site's recent timeout problems are since I converted to this tab format?? God forbid, but can the end user actually be technically right? Is there an issue using tab files rather than csv?? I noticed that if you use csv you don't need a schema.ini, but you do if you use tab files. Does Microsoft think everybody uses CSV and work ...

  1. #1

    Default Tab-delimited or CSV - Performance difference???

    Hi All

    Due to using a combo of OLEDB/ADO/ASP and JavaScript I was having trouble
    reading in CSV data so I converted my client's web site to use tab-delimited
    instead. Better for me, but client is adamant that their site's recent
    timeout problems are since I converted to this tab format??

    God forbid, but can the end user actually be technically right?

    Is there an issue using tab files rather than csv??

    I noticed that if you use csv you don't need a schema.ini, but you do if you
    use tab files. Does Microsoft think everybody uses CSV and work better with
    this format??

    Regards

    Laphan

    Laphan Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Tab-delimited or CSV - Performance difference???

    Laphan,

    Text parsing and IO usage is a time hindrance.
    If you must use a text file use XML.

    Here is a nice solution:

    On your machine - create the needed table in Microsoft Access. With a small
    VBScript, connect to the database and open a recordset with all the fields
    in the table
    Save the recordset to an XML file.

    Now you have a XML file that can be used as a database with a schema and
    all.
    You can connect to it just like a database and use SQL against it.

    HTH

    dlbjr

    Unambit from meager knowledge of inane others,
    engender uncharted sagacity.

    dlbjr Guest

  5. #5

    He could be right in a way -- but since I don't know what you do with the
    data and the amount of data, I am not sure why it would be so slow as to
    create timeout problems.

    I think the other user's idea of using XML is great. Plus, I don't see any
    difference in CSV and Tab delimited formats -- they use some form of
    delimiter.

    --
    Manohar Kamath
    Editor, .netBooks

    "Laphan" <newsFrozenMoles.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > Due to using a combo of OLEDB/ADO/ASP and JavaScript I was having trouble
    > reading in CSV data so I converted my client's web site to use
    tab-delimited
    > instead. Better for me, but client is adamant that their site's recent
    > timeout problems are since I converted to this tab format??
    >
    > God forbid, but can the end user actually be technically right?
    >
    > Is there an issue using tab files rather than csv??
    >
    > I noticed that if you use csv you don't need a schema.ini, but you do if
    you
    > use tab files. Does Microsoft think everybody uses CSV and work better
    with
    > this format??
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Laphan

    Manohar Kamath [MVP] Guest

  6. #6

    He could be right in a way -- but since I don't know what you do with the
    data and the amount of data, I am not sure why it would be so slow as to
    create timeout problems.

    I think the other user's idea of using XML is great. Plus, I don't see any
    difference in CSV and Tab delimited formats -- they use some form of
    delimiter.

    --
    Manohar Kamath
    Editor, .netBooks
    [url]www.dotnetbooks.com[/url]

    "Laphan" <newsFrozenMoles.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > Due to using a combo of OLEDB/ADO/ASP and JavaScript I was having trouble
    > reading in CSV data so I converted my client's web site to use
    tab-delimited
    > instead. Better for me, but client is adamant that their site's recent
    > timeout problems are since I converted to this tab format??
    >
    > God forbid, but can the end user actually be technically right?
    >
    > Is there an issue using tab files rather than csv??
    >
    > I noticed that if you use csv you don't need a schema.ini, but you do if
    you
    > use tab files. Does Microsoft think everybody uses CSV and work better
    with
    > this format??
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Laphan