Professional Web Applications Themes

Tab Feature Problem - Adobe Indesign Windows

I recently noticed that although the tab feature pops up when requested, the ruler with the tab points has now disappeared. Although I highlight the area I want to set the tabs to, I cannot seem to get the ruler to appear. Is this a glitch?...

  1. #1

    Default Tab Feature Problem

    Basiliki_Jerlinski@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tab Feature Problem

    Throw away your InDesign preferences.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    explain
    Basiliki_Jerlinski@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    It's explained in InDesign Help. The method depends on your InDesign version, which you haven't told us.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    CS 3.0.1

    I have spent the last hour with Customer support (worthless), InDesign Help, and here. InDesign Help only explains how to use the tab pop up, not the problems that may occur. Thanks for any help you can give as this whole system with Adobe is meant for someone who is retired and has all the time in the world to solve problems.
    Basiliki_Jerlinski@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks anyway Steve. When push came to shove, had no time to find the solution to the problem and so I reinstalled the program. That worked.

    I Just can't stand the fact that when you call customer service to find why their program is not working properly and the first thing they ask you for is your credit card number.
    Basiliki_Jerlinski@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    When push came to shove, had no time to find the solution to the problem...

    Since you don't have time to look at ID help, you are either going to pay for support, or re-install. If you would care to look at you would find the following: (I did it that for you)

    To restore all preferences and default settings:

    Do one of the following:

    In Windows, start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete your preference files.

    In Mac OS, while pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete your preference files.

    regards
    George

    P.S. reading never harmed anybody
    George Guest

  8. #8

    Thank you George. Appreciate your pasting the info on for me. Unfortunately, unless you are told "exactly" what to type into ID Help to get the answer, generalizing does not work. If I type in "Throw away preferences" nothing comes up at all. This only adds to the frustrartion. Pasting the answer for me was the real solution and I appreciate it.

    PS. I am an avid reader and I also love helping others in subjects I am very familiar. But I thought this is what this forum was for. I am a member of many forums of which I have knowledge and I never direct questioners to someplace else if I know the answer or solution. Thanks again!
    Basiliki_Jerlinski@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    >"Throw away preferences"

    This is an action you'll probably need again some day. When ID starts acting
    bizarre for no particular reason, it's probably time to 'trash the prefs.'

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    But I thought this is what this forum was for.

    May I rephrase as more appropriate: This is what this forum IS for.

    best regards
    George
    George Guest

  11. #11

    To be fair, just what would a person, whose tab palette didn't show the ruler, type into Help to get a helpful (trash your preferences) answer?
    I'm not sure I would immediately think of "restore" as the keyword. Sure it makes sense after the fact but when staring at a palette which is missing the ruler it's more likely you'd type something like "missing ...." or "display problem". Choosing the right word or phrase to use in an index can be darn frustrating.

    Rob
    Robert_Enns@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    I said to look in Help for information about deleting preferences.

    In InDesign CS2 Help, if you search for "preferences," the first hit is: "To restore all preferences and default settings."
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    It's the third hit when searching for "preferences" in InDesign CS Help.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Thank you Rob. Glad you saw things from my perspective and posted it. I do understand that others come here to help and is greatly appreciated but as a recommendation, try to see things from the other persons viewpoint and answer accordingly.

    Now that the project has been completed I can clearly see that it would have taken me a lot longer to find the solution on my own if I didn't just reinstall the program out of frustration. Adobe Customer Service was only out to get my credit card number before passing me to a tech when it was clearly the "fault" of the program and not my lack of knowledge of the program. Just shows how impersonal and uncaring Adobe has gotten. They can make a program the has glitches but unwillingly to assist when the problems occur.

    I am extremely proficient in Pagemaker but new to the quirks of InDesign. Pagemaker never had program glitches like these (at least when I started using it in version 3.0) and now unfortunately I am forced to learn this new program while it is still young. It does have it's interesting advantages but I would have preferred to begin using the program AFTER these oddities were solved unless I knew for a fact that I had good FREE customer support for these cases.

    Thanks again.
    Basiliki_Jerlinski@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Hi, all,

    Here's a new conundrum. I am now encountering the "tab ruler won't appear" problem as described in these messages. I have tried SHIFT+CTRL+ALT to allow me to "trash" the Preferences, but nothing happens. I've pulled up the Preferences on the Edit Menu but there's nothing which allows for Reset to Default or something similar. Even scarier, I have reinstalled the program (which is usually the last resort for these mysteries) and STILL nothing happens and I still don't have a tab ruler. Oh - here's another weirdness - I can get to a tab ruler via Paragraph Styles.

    Any ideas, guys?

    Thanks,
    Marcia
    Marcia_Tremmel@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Well, now I am really confused. My tab ruler has mysteriously reappeared and ID is behaving well (CS2). I would still like to know why this happens so I can fix it when it happens the next time, as it surely will.

  17. #17

    I have tried SHIFT+CTRL+ALT to allow me to "trash" the Preferences, but
    nothing happens.

    If nothing happens, you're not quick enough. This is Adobe's speed test for experienced players. Hold you fingers above the three keys and immediately after choosing the shortcut that starts ID press them. IF you are quick enough, as a reward you get a dialog box that asks you if you want to delete the preferences. Answer yes.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    I wonder how many posts recommending deleting the preference files, and how
    many posts explaining the arcane method of doing so will be necessary before
    Adobe builds in a more user-friendly method. OK, deleting preferences while
    the program is running is not logical, and probably not possible without
    complete meltdown, but I would have thought it feasible to build a routine
    with an action to close InDesign and then delete preferences, or to store a
    command to delete the preferences on the next start-up.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Ken,

    That would be a great feature request. However, you'll find that that keyboard sequence is now standard for other Adobe apps as well (Illustrator and Bridge, for example) so it's a Suite-wide issue.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    "so it's a Suite-wide issue"

    Which could have a suite-wide solution.