Professional Web Applications Themes

Table Managment - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

You can't create triggers on system tables in SQL Server 2000, although this functionality will be available in the next version of SQL server. What you need is a proper development process where developers check their changes into a source control system, and the database is build on a regular basis from the source. If you can't achieve that because management won't allow that, as it looks like in your case, I would advise you to buy SQL Compare from www.red-gate.com, and schedule that at night to make snapshots of your database so you can compare it from day to ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Table Managment

    You can't create triggers on system tables in SQL Server 2000, although this
    functionality will be available in the next version of SQL server.

    What you need is a proper development process where developers check their
    changes into a source control system, and the database is build on a regular
    basis from the source. If you can't achieve that because management won't
    allow that, as it looks like in your case, I would advise you to buy SQL
    Compare from www.red-gate.com, and schedule that at night to make snapshots
    of your database so you can compare it from day to day.

    --
    Jacco Schalkwijk MCDBA, MCSD, MCSE
    Database Administrator

    "Peter Nolan" <co.uk> wrote in message

    Jacco Guest

  2. #2

    You can't create triggers on system tables.

    You can run a trace using SQL profiler (you can run simultanious multiple
    traces with SQL profiler) and filter the trace so that it will record only
    DDL statements and the execution of relevant system stored procedures that
    you want to monitor.
    That will give you all the details you need but you'll pay the price of the
    overhead...

    HTH

    Amy

    Amy Guest

  3. #3

    check out www.dbghost.com - it's like red-gates sql
    compare only better as it can be used to monitor your
    source effectively with code verification, daily builds,
    test deploys etc. It doesn't just compare, it makes sure
    your database code is correct and used with a source-safe
    becomes the ultimate in database change management.

    Mark Baekdal
    2000, although this
    SQL server.
    developers check their
    build on a regular
    management won't
    you to buy SQL
    to make snapshots
    message [/ref]
    tool [/ref]
    monitoring

    >.
    >[/ref]
    mark Guest

  4. #4

    check out www.dbghost.com - it's like red-gates sql
    compare only better as it can be used to monitor your
    source effectively with code verification, daily builds,
    test deploys etc. It doesn't just compare, it makes sure
    your database code is correct and used with a source-safe
    becomes the ultimate in database change management.

    Mark Baekdal
    2000, although this
    SQL server.
    developers check their
    build on a regular
    management won't
    you to buy SQL
    to make snapshots
    message [/ref]
    tool [/ref]
    monitoring

    >.
    >[/ref]
    mark Guest

  5. #5

    Mark,

    SQLCompare might not promise as much as DBGhost, but at least it installs on
    my machine, and DBGhost doesn't (I'm running Windows 2000 SP2 and SQL Server
    2000 SP3a)

    From the messages you have posted on this newsgroup, I assume you work at
    DBGhost. So if you can arrange that:
    1) You start using a decent installer that uses Windows installer if
    available. You can either buy Wise (www.wise.com) or InstallShield
    (www.installshield.com). What you now use look to me like the wizard that
    comes with Visual Studio 6, and that's just not good enough for commercial
    software.
    2) Make sure that your installation doesn't restart my computer. It is that
    I was really interested to see what it looks like, but normally the "You
    will need to restart Windows..." message means the end of the installation
    process and my interest in the product in question.
    3) DBGhost doesn't try to overwrite system files. I think that DBGhost is
    trying to install an old version of MDAC, but doesn't check correctly if the
    version that is on the machine might be newer than the one it tries install
    itself. MDAC is a notoriously difficult beast regarding versioning, as it
    was almost impossible to determine which version you are on or to uninstall.
    Things have improved somewhat with version 2.7, but not very greatly. The
    best plan might be to use the version that comes with SQL Server 2000 SP3a
    (2.7.1) and check before installation that the local machine is indeed on
    that version.

    If you think that I am moaning, please remember that _you_ are trying to
    sell software and I am a potential customer who can't even install the
    evaluation version of your product :-)

    --

    "mark baekdal" <com> wrote in message
    > 2000, although this
    > SQL server.
    > developers check their
    > build on a regular
    > management won't
    > you to buy SQL
    > to make snapshots
    > message [/ref]
    > tool [/ref]
    > monitoring
    > >

    > >.
    > >[/ref][/ref]

    Jacco Guest

  6. #6

    fair points, although it doesn't try to install MDAC and
    I am getting wise ;-) You should follow it through
    though, if you've read the NTL testimonial maybe you can
    imagine the value this can bring to any database.

    least it installs on
    2000 SP2 and SQL Server
    assume you work at
    installer if
    InstallShield
    like the wizard that
    enough for commercial
    computer. It is that
    normally the "You
    of the installation
    think that DBGhost is
    check correctly if the
    one it tries install
    versioning, as it
    on or to uninstall.
    very greatly. The
    SQL Server 2000 SP3a
    machine is indeed on
    _you_ are trying to
    even install the [/ref]
    builds, [/ref]
    sure [/ref]
    safe [/ref][/ref]
    Server
    >> SQL server.
    >> developers check their [/ref][/ref]
    database is [/ref][/ref]
    because [/ref][/ref]
    advise [/ref][/ref]
    night [/ref][/ref]
    day.
    >> message [/ref][/ref]
    clear on [/ref][/ref]
    structure,
    >> tool
    >> monitoring [/ref][/ref]
    some [/ref][/ref]
    than [/ref]

    >.
    >[/ref]
    mark Guest

  7. #7

    I would be very happy with a tools that does automated database builds. We
    have one product, but it is customized for 20 customers or so, with ongoing
    development. So we actually really really need one. Drop me a mail when you
    have the fixed installation, we plan to take some time out from development
    to put a proper development/build/test process in place in the next month or
    so (or at least make a start with it).

    I thought it was MDAC because that always ed up the VB installations I
    did some years ago. Ah, the bad ole days :-)

    > least it installs on
    > 2000 SP2 and SQL Server
    > assume you work at
    > installer if
    > InstallShield
    > like the wizard that
    > enough for commercial
    > computer. It is that
    > normally the "You
    > of the installation
    > think that DBGhost is
    > check correctly if the
    > one it tries install
    > versioning, as it
    > on or to uninstall.
    > very greatly. The
    > SQL Server 2000 SP3a
    > machine is indeed on
    > _you_ are trying to
    > even install the [/ref]
    > builds, [/ref]
    > sure [/ref]
    > safe [/ref]
    > Server [/ref]
    > database is [/ref]
    > because [/ref]
    > advise [/ref]
    > night [/ref]
    > day. [/ref]
    > clear on [/ref]
    > structure, [/ref]
    > some [/ref]
    > than
    > >

    > >.
    > >[/ref][/ref]

    Jacco Guest

  8. #8

    I am interesting too. I download DBGhost but I can't install it.

    Drop me a mail when you have the fixed installation.

    Originally posted by Jacco Schalkwijk

     [/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]