In article <bec3dl$fls$1forums.macromedia.com>,
"timsawtelle" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
> What my problem is that I use photoshop to slice up my page... I then export
> in image ready to create the .gif / .jpg and .htm files...
>
> I then edit in DWMX... but to draw in some things like a 1 or 2 pixel thin
> line on both sides of the page. I then add some pop up menus in DWMX, but
> with layers - when running in a browser, the menu's are behind the layers
> that it's supposed be over. Even when I change the zindex it still falls
> behind...
>
> ...so to be able to use the pop up menu's, since they work with tables, I
> convert back from layers to tables...
>
> This will allow for the menu's to work, but now all the table placement is
> wacked out. There are spaces between the tables within tables and nothing is
> in it's place.
>
> I had considered possibly changing the design from tables to CSS tables... I
> have not used that format before and didn't know the pros and cons with
> various browsers, or if in fact this was not a good way to do it anyhow...
It sounds to me like you're trying to do something very complex no
matter how it's approached. As you say, you start with an image and
slice it up-- which is the kind of design that generally ends up wedged
into a table. You could try individually positioning all of those image
slices, but I guess I'm not sure why you'd bother. Not every design
lends itself well to pure CSS layout techniques. Yours could be one of
them. Using tables in a situation like you describe might well make the
doent smaller, not larger, than a CSS-positioning approach.
On the other hand, if you start from scratch and base your markup
around the textual content of your site, you might well see a payoff in
going the non-table route. It's hard to say that with certainty without
conducting a detailed examination of your design and markup, something
I'm afraid I don't have the time to do.

--
Eric A. Meyer (ericmeyerweb.com) [url]http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/[/url]
Author, "Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide,"