Professional Web Applications Themes

Tablet disappointment "user experience" - Windows Vista

There are some good things for Tablet users and some real disappointments in Vista. It is good that the Tablet capabilities are now built in to all versions of Vista. It will make deployment of applications easier, but there seems to be a step backward as well. At least with a seperate OS version Tablet we could say about the shortcomings - "its in the next version" ie the torturous display properties workaround for making the corner close X big enough to allow the user on some Tablets be able to use it. (less than satisfactory because it eats up ...

  1. #1

    Default Tablet disappointment "user experience"

    There are some good things for Tablet users and some real disappointments in
    Vista.

    It is good that the Tablet capabilities are now built in to all versions of
    Vista. It will make deployment of applications easier, but there seems to be
    a step backward as well. At least with a seperate OS version Tablet we could
    say about the shortcomings - "its in the next version" ie the torturous
    display properties workaround for making the corner close X big enough to
    allow the user on some Tablets be able to use it. (less than satisfactory
    because it eats up screen real estate needlessly) Also having to call up the
    TIP to do a Search etc. Not a problem for an occassional use but annoying
    enough to switch to or get a keyboard for extended work. Lack of built in OS
    ink functionality made it impossible on XP to do some work mobily. This
    shortcoming has not been addressed in Vista. It is obvious the handwriting is
    not used by the majority of the Vista developers or they would simply fix
    the X corner question and make all OS system text boxes ink enabled. These
    are 10 minute programming chores a high school kid can do now!

    What other things do real Tablet users wish were in Vista (or are there
    things to improve on XP ink use in other OS functions that I am missing ?)
    CEOmike Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tablet disappointment "user experience"

    I see your point, I don't own one but we have a few at college where I'm
    studying at the moment. I personally think they're pretty good - but I think
    that hardware manufacturers should always include something like an ink
    button... just as keyboard manufacturers always include a Windows key by
    default ;o)

    --
    Zack Whittaker
    Microsoft Beta (Windows Server R2 Beta Mentor)

    --- Original message follows ---
    "CEOmike" <CEOmikediscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > There are some good things for Tablet users and some real disappointments
    > in
    > Vista.
    >
    > It is good that the Tablet capabilities are now built in to all versions
    > of
    > Vista. It will make deployment of applications easier, but there seems to
    > be
    > a step backward as well. At least with a seperate OS version Tablet we
    > could
    > say about the shortcomings - "its in the next version" ie the torturous
    > display properties workaround for making the corner close X big enough to
    > allow the user on some Tablets be able to use it. (less than satisfactory
    > because it eats up screen real estate needlessly) Also having to call up
    > the
    > TIP to do a Search etc. Not a problem for an occassional use but annoying
    > enough to switch to or get a keyboard for extended work. Lack of built in
    > OS
    > ink functionality made it impossible on XP to do some work mobily. This
    > shortcoming has not been addressed in Vista. It is obvious the handwriting
    > is
    > not used by the majority of the Vista developers or they would simply fix
    > the X corner question and make all OS system text boxes ink enabled. These
    > are 10 minute programming chores a high school kid can do now!
    >
    > What other things do real Tablet users wish were in Vista (or are there
    > things to improve on XP ink use in other OS functions that I am missing ?)

    Zack Whittaker \(R2 Mentor\) Guest

  3. #3

    That's an interesting idea, maybe build a control into Vista that allows a
    Tablet hardware button to be configured to allow the box where the cusor is
    to become bigger and ink enabled.

    Still allowing OS level text boxes to be ink size and conversion enabled
    should be a given.