Professional Web Applications Themes

Tabs palette won't snap to text frame - Adobe Indesign Windows

I'm using CS and the Tabs palette won't do what it's supposed to. It doesn't open at the top of the selected text frame and the magnet either does nothing or decides to be greyed out. I've reset the preferences, any other suggestions as to what the problem might be and how it can be solved? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Tabs palette won't snap to text frame

    Joy_Hinckley@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tabs palette won't snap to text frame

    I find you have to be working in Fit Spread view (Double click the hand tool)
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    The tab ruler is one of the most persnickety features of InDesign, disappointingly badly behaved after all this time.

    I suspect that having messed it up in the year dot and in spite of its visible flaws, it just hasn't warranted enough priority when competing for resources with all the new features that have been added.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I fint the tab paletet can usually snap to the text frame opnly if the entire width of hte text frame is visible, with a little extra on the sides. If it still won't snap, then a pref-trash is usually called for. I think it's inexcusable that it won't snap when the frame doesn't fit in the window. That's what Beta testing is supposed to be for.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Scott,

    What leads you to believe that the beta testers didn't report this problem? Or do you just have a low opinion of everybody?

  6. #6

    Thanks folks
    Even 'tho I already had the whole text box showing, and Fit Spread as the view, it wasn't working.
    But I tried an extension of Scott's tip and put PLENTY of window space all around the text box and lo! it snaps to.
    Joy
    Joy_Hinckley@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    What leads you to believe that the beta testers didn't report this problem?

    I bet they did. I don't think beta testing is being taken seriously at Adobe. Now that all three majors are tethered to the same development cycle, there's three times as much pressure to ship on time, since a delay in shipping Indesign holds back all three programs.

    I've been a beta tester (not for Adobe), and I took it seriously, knowing that I had the power to affect the featrues and interface of a program I knew I'd be spending a lot of time in. I have no doubt that beta testers found this, and other bugs (or whatever you want to call them). I also have no doubt that programmers wanted to fix them.

    Yet there they are. Someone was satisfied shipping a known flawed program, and has since been satisfied to not fix the problems. Someone needs to be fired.

    Or do you just have a low opinion of everybody?

    Just you, baby. Just you.

    OK, kidding there. Seriously, Dave, you're a totally helpful dude here. I hope I didn't cause offence.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I don't think beta testing is being taken seriously at Adobe.

    It's not like Adobe can make a big deal out of it come announcement time - "New version - now with working Tabs palette!".

    Joy
    Joy_Hinckley@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    It's not like Adobe can make a big deal out of it come announcement time
    - "New version - now with working Tabs palette!".

    Shouldn't have to. The release version should never have had the problem it did. Adobe deliberately released the program with this problem and others. And they were happy to charge money for the upgrade. Andt they were further satisfied to never release an update that corrected the problem.

    A little outrage is an appropriate response.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Adobe deliberately released the program with this problem and others.
    And they were happy to charge money for the upgrade. And they were further
    satisfied to never release an update that corrected the problem.

    Your comment reflects a great sense of outrage and paranoia, and a lack of knowledge of the way software releases are managed at Adobe. Simply put, you're wrong.

    No software is bug-free, and Adobe's in no exception. But the minor glitches that can happen with the Tabs palette are certainly not worth wasting your "outrage" on.

    There are many more things going on in this world right now which are REALLY worth your outrage! Get a life.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Imagine if we had a perfect tab ruler and no tables. That wouldn't be a very good trade-off would it?

  12. #12

    Your comment reflects a great sense of outrage and paranoia, and a lack
    of knowledge of the way software releases are managed at Adobe. Simply
    put, you're wrong.

    I wouldn't call it paranoia. And I also don't think I have a "great sense of outrage", rather, I am mildly outraged. As for ignorance, I don't care. I don't work for Adobe, I just buy their stuff. I don't give a darn how software releases are managed at Adobe, just that hte product does it's job, does it well, and earns me money. I have a few issues with that middle one, that's all.

    Imagine if we had a perfect tab ruler and no tables. That wouldn't be
    a very good trade-off would it?

    Heck no. I love the tables in Indesign, although better copy and paste support would help.

    Gee, am I the only person who wants to see a litle more quality control at Adobe? I don't ask for or expect perfection, but blatant bugs and porrly implemented features hsould be at a minimum. Illustrator and, to a lesser extend, InDesign are heavier with them than I believe is appropriate.

    When Adobe CS, along with the renamed versions, was anounced, I was quick to predict three things, all of which have come to pass.

    1. Buggy and poorly tested releases, since all programs must ship simultaneously. Holding back one program to improve it delays all programs. The balance shifts toward shipping, and away from correcting.

    2. New releases with features that do not justify them. This is not new, even for Adobe. Illustrator jumped from 3 to 5, then 6, 7, and 8. But maybe only one of those versions qualified as a full 1.0 upgrade to many people. Still, the rush to ship the new version of Illustrator means there must be a new version of Photoshop, even if there's little purpose for it (Ooh, perspective scaling! Wow, 3D rotations with corners cut off and lousy shading!).

    3. Version confusion. We've all seen it. "I have InDesign 2, do I need to upgrade to CS 2?" or people saying they're using CS3, then others saying, "wiat, I only have CS2...". Dumb idea.

    Now, anyone wanna know when the Rapture is?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest