Professional Web Applications Themes

Tagged PDF on multiple Acrobat Layers? - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have an IDCS2 doent with multiple layers. Each layer consists of text placed from a Microsoft Word doent. The text on one layer overlays the text on other layers. For the doent to be viewed or printed intelligibly, only one layer must be displayed and all other layers must be hidden. If I export as Adobe PDF and choose to Create Tagged PDF and Create Acrobat Layers, the resulting PDF file has Layers but seems to have no Tagged PDF. I need Tagged text in the PDF layers. Am I doing something wrong? Or maybe there can be only ...

  1. #1

    Default Tagged PDF on multiple Acrobat Layers?

    I have an IDCS2 doent with multiple layers. Each layer consists of text placed from a Microsoft Word doent. The text on one layer overlays the text on other layers. For the doent to be viewed or printed intelligibly, only one layer must be displayed and all other layers must be hidden.

    If I export as Adobe PDF and choose to Create Tagged PDF and Create Acrobat Layers, the resulting PDF file has Layers but seems to have no Tagged PDF. I need Tagged text in the PDF layers. Am I doing something wrong?

    Or maybe there can be only one set of PDF tags for all Acrobat Layers, and it isn't possible to have distinct PDF Tags on distinct Acrobat Layers?

    I am running IDCS2 under Windows 2000. Thanks.
    William_J_Ablondi@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tagged PDF on multiple Acrobat Layers?

    William,

    I haven't checked the layer issue. But be aware that checking 'Optimize for fast Web View' will invalidate all tags in the PDF. So, if you have checked this option, uncheck it and try again.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Teus,

    I unchecked 'Optimize for Fast Web View' and checked 'Create Tagged PDF' and 'Create Acrobat Layers.' The output PDF file still seems to have no tags.

    Also for a doent with one layer, I checked 'Optimize for Fast Web View' and 'Create Tagged PDF' and unchecked 'Create Acrobat Layers.' The output PDF file did reflow correctly and have working tags.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Bill
    William_J_Ablondi@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    First, my apologies for the wromg statement. I concluded that the tags would not work, because a lot of lines
    000000000 65535 f
    are at the end of a PDF produced with both 'Optimize for Fast Web View' and 'Create Tagged PDF'. I checked this again, and apparently these lines are not tags. You just can delete them. (It came up in a discussion about excessive size of a PDF.)

    Second, why do you choose 'Create Acrobat Layers'? If you make sure only the layers that must be printed are visible in ID, only these layers will be printed, and the file has tags.

  5. #5

    "Why do you choose 'Create Acrobat Layers'?

    Imagine a doent with English, Spanish and French translations on different layers.

    I believe that you are correct that I can set a single InDesign layer visible and two hidden, and export to a PDF file with one layer that is correctly tagged.

    I would like to export all three languages and layers to one PDF file with all three layers correctly tagged. Acrobat Reader users of the doent in all three languages, could hide two layers and view their language layer correctly tagged.

    If you can help me do this, it would be great. Thanks.

    Bill
    William_J_Ablondi@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Or maybe there can be only one set of PDF tags for all Acrobat Layers,
    and it isn't possible to have distinct PDF Tags on distinct Acrobat Layers?

    I just did a simple test with a doent with two layers. The resulting PDF has tags, but not per layer. So it seems tagging per layer is indeed not possible. But maybe someone else knows a trick for that.