Professional Web Applications Themes

Taking a Wallstreet wireless: What do I need? - Mac Networking

Hello everyone. Iąd like to add wireless capability to my trusty Wallstreet and am uncertain as to what exactly is required. My needs are quite pedestrian. I currently have a 56kbps dialup account run under both OS 9.2.2 and Jaguar 10.2.6. Iąd like to access the account sans wires both at home and via publicly accessible Wifi networks. I do know that at least a wireless PCMCIA card is required. I presume this is the only hardware required to connect to a public accessible Wifi network. What I find confusing are the different standards. At OWCąs <macsales.com> website hardware is ...

  1. #1

    Default Taking a Wallstreet wireless: What do I need?

    Hello everyone. Iąd like to add wireless capability to my trusty
    Wallstreet and am uncertain as to what exactly is required.

    My needs are quite pedestrian. I currently have a 56kbps dialup account
    run under both OS 9.2.2 and Jaguar 10.2.6. Iąd like to access the
    account sans wires both at home and via publicly accessible Wifi
    networks.

    I do know that at least a wireless PCMCIA card is required. I presume
    this is the only hardware required to connect to a public accessible
    Wifi network. What I find confusing are the different standards. At
    OWCąs <macsales.com> website hardware is categorized as 802.11g or
    802.11b, Airport or Airport extreme, 54mbs or 11MB(b?) etc...

    And if I were to access my internet account at home what components
    would be required in addition - or apart - from the PCMCIA card? Does
    adding wireless functionality to a Wallsteet require proprietary Apple
    hardware or would cross platform (Wintel) components suffice?

    I would appreciate detailed hardware - and, if required, software -
    recommendations.

    Thanks
    Luke
    Luke Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Taking a Wallstreet wireless: What do I need?

    In article <110820031921348587%lucaca.inter.net>, Luke
    <lucaca.inter.net> wrote:
    > Hello everyone. Iąd like to add wireless capability to my trusty
    > Wallstreet and am uncertain as to what exactly is required.
    I just did this, so you can benefit from what I found! There are a
    variety of cheaper PCMCIA cards out there, but I'm not sure how well
    they'll perform. One popular one is made by Orinoco, and many people
    apparently use it without trouble. However, I did hear from a couple
    people who couldn't make an Orinoco card work in their Wallstreets, and
    it was pretty much a given that you'd have to go download an
    open-source driver for OS X, as the company doesn't have one.

    In the end, I went with a card from Asante (FriendlyNET AL5402-XG
    99-00782-01 802.11g Wireless Cardbus Adapter). It's a CardBus card,
    which can go in the Wallstreet's PCMCIA card slots, and it's a little
    more pricey than the other cards ($99, compared to somewhere around
    $60-$70). But, the bottom line is that I stuck it in my Wallstreet and
    was online in about 30 seconds. (Of course, that assumes you've
    already applied the latest AirPort updates from Apple -- this card
    requires one of the more recent updates, IIRC. It also assumes you've
    already got a working wireless network.)

    Asante is a reputable company who assured me their card would work on
    my machine with no extra software needed. I chose to pay a little
    extra for that assurance and ease-of-use, but you may prefer to do
    differently. In the end, it's a personal choice. But I highly
    recommend this card from Asante!

    --
    -Thomas

    <http://www.bitjuggler.com/>
    Thomas Reed Guest

  3. #3

    In article <1fzjpqu.1wkd6wxe287jeN%neillmasselloearthlink.ne t>, Neill
    Massello <neillmasselloearthlink.net> wrote:
    > Luke <lucaca.inter.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Hello everyone. I'd like to add wireless capability to my trusty
    > > Wallstreet and am uncertain as to what exactly is required.
    <snip>

    Thank you all for the replies. And apologies for the repeat posts:
    (Connection problems...)

    Luke
    Luke Guest