Professional Web Applications Themes

Taking pictures for newspapers - Photography

Any news agency photo editors out there? Yesterday on my way home there was a *** BIG *** accident on the Interstate (road was closed for over 2 hours) and I took several good shots (I was on a service road that parallels the highway) of the Med-Evac landing/taking off and emergency crew moving about doing their jobs. When I got home I sent them to my local paper and the graphic artist said that he won't use them because they don't show the actual vehicles involved (they were blocked by emergency equipment, so I couldn't get a shot). So, ...

  1. #1

    Default Taking pictures for newspapers

    Any news agency photo editors out there?

    Yesterday on my way home there was a *** BIG *** accident on the Interstate
    (road was closed for over 2 hours) and I took several good shots (I was on
    a service road that parallels the highway) of the Med-Evac landing/taking
    off and emergency crew moving about doing their jobs. When I got home I
    sent them to my local paper and the graphic artist said that he won't use
    them because they don't show the actual vehicles involved (they were
    blocked by emergency equipment, so I couldn't get a shot).

    So, my question is, what do you look for when deciding whether or not to
    include a photo for publication. Just wondering, so next time I'll know
    what to look for.

    Thanks :)
    NJ Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Taking pictures for newspapers

    There's certainly no rule. But, in the case you describe, most editors
    could go either way regarding use of the kind of pictures you describe, and
    a decision could well be based, in part, on the consequences of the
    accident--the more serious the results, the more likely pictures lacking the
    actual vehicles involved would be used. In almost _any_ case, having the
    vehicles involved adds value to the shot. On the other hand, if the
    vehicles aren't there when the only photographer is there, that's all the is
    going to get in pictures of the emergency vehicles, crews and so on. It's
    _very_ easy to write a caption appropriate to a shot without the vehicles as
    in " Weary emergency crews cleanup following I-95 wreck that kills 5" (or
    whatever). A picture of the scene without the wrecked vehicles is better
    than no picture at all, and, it seems to me that a two-hour-long closing of
    an interstate probably justifed a medium-length story and a picture.

    Don Forsling
    com
    "Iowa--Gateway to Those Big Rectangular States"
    "NJ" <xyz> wrote in message
    Interstate

    Don Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Don,

    Yeah, I was surprised that they didn't use any of the photos I shot.
    Especially since it turned out to be a fatality (two deaths), one
    critical (life flighted out), and another not so serious (just taken to
    local hospital).

    The paper's photographer was stuck in traffic. So you'd think they would
    take something rather than nothing. This is just a local paper, not The
    Washington Post.

    I guess the rule of thumb (especially with digital) is just shoot
    everything!

    NJ Guest

  4. #4

    NJ <xyz> wrote:

    No, shoot the essential things and do them well.

    For a really good photo everything has to be right. There has to
    be an interesting motive on the picture, it has to be well
    composed, it has to be technically good.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Guest

  5. #5

    Here's a synopsis of a phone conversation I once had with the picture editor
    of my local paper here in the UK (That shall remain nameless as it's a
    garbage rag and doesn't deserve a name check here) when I called them in
    similar cirstances.

    Me: Hi I have these pix of a really bad accident that blocked the local
    motorway here this afternoon...would you be interested to see them?

    Pic Ed: Did anyone die?

    Me: Dunno.

    Pic Ed: No

    (As it turned out two people were unfortunately killed. But hey ho)

    "NJ" <xyz> wrote in message
    Interstate

    Canongirly Guest

  6. #6

    Hans-Georg Michna wrote in rec.photo.digital:

    Yes, you're right. I guess I was just referring to not knowing what a photo
    editor would use in a story. I of course wouldn't shoot a nothing picture
    for the sake of taking a picture.

    The photos I sent to the paper included several of the Med-Evac, the rescue
    crews working, and the general scene. Even a shot of an accident victim
    (nothing gory) being loaded into the Med-Evac.
    NJ Guest

  7. #7

    NJ <xyz> wrote:

     [/ref]

    NJ,

    I think, if your photos were good, they had some other reason
    not to publish them. Some reason they didn't tell you.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Guest

  8. #8

    Could you post them to this ng? Let us have a look, and we might give you
    "hands-on" advice...

    As HGM wrote, news-photos need impact. You need photos that will move the
    audience. That doesn't mean mangled bodies, but something that stirrs
    emotions.

    Also, you need to move around. Get pictures from several places, high and
    low etc.

    A photo I got in the local paper was only used as a small filler, but it
    captured a "side-event" quite nicely. We had a major fire in the town center
    a few years ago (a whole block of old wooden houses burnt to the ground).
    Several officers from the local army-base had been called out to help the
    police keep people at a safe distance. The photo I took was of one of these
    officers (in focus) with the fire and the firemen and medics working in the
    background (slightly out of focus). The reason it was included was because
    the police wanted to thank the army-base for their help.

    Snorre Guest

  9. #9

    Hans-Georg Michna writes:

    They didn't want to pay for them. They already have staff photographers
    to provide the photos for free (or at least they've already paid for
    their photos, so why pay anyone else?).

    Mxsmanic Guest

  10. #10

    "Mxsmanic" <com> wrote in message

    > They didn't want to pay for them. They already have staff photographers
    > to provide the photos for free (or at least they've already paid for
    > their photos, so why pay anyone else?).
    >
    > --[/ref]
    The newspaper pays someone else when their staff photographers are out
    shooting routine events W, X, and Y while event Z involving, say, a
    hostage-taker shooting a police officer in the head at a range of five
    inches is captured by an amateur who walks into the newspaper office with a
    pretty good shot of the shot (so to speak). That's when you pay somebody
    else. Wouldn't you? It's simple. You pay when somebody offers you
    something you feel you need but which is unavalible from your staff.
    (Actually in the example I gave above, a lot of papers wouldn't run the
    picture. Too ghastly. Make it a plane crashing into an office building
    instead.)

    Don Guest