Professional Web Applications Themes

tangerine ibook battery will not recharge - Mac Applications & Software

I am using OS 9.1 on the first clamshell ibook, airport card installed, ram maxed out. I recently bought a replacement battery as my original battery stopped charging, but I think the battery may not necessarily be at fault. The apple authorized dealer that sold the replacement battery said to drain the lithium ion battery completely then recharge to capacity on the first charge, but I think the problem lies in the power management needing to be reset. I have found... http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449 But it really doesn't describe my ibook- the closest illustration is one for the 2nd gen clamshells, that ...

  1. #1

    Default tangerine ibook battery will not recharge

    I am using OS 9.1 on the first clamshell ibook, airport card installed, ram
    maxed out.

    I recently bought a replacement battery as my original battery stopped
    charging, but I think the battery may not necessarily be at fault. The apple
    authorized dealer that sold the replacement battery said to drain the lithium
    ion battery completely then recharge to capacity on the first charge, but I
    think the problem lies in the power management needing to be reset.

    I have found...

    But it really doesn't describe my ibook- the closest illustration is one for
    the 2nd gen clamshells, that had Firewire. (mine does not, nor is it dual USB).
    I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but there does seem to be some voodoo
    involved with resetting the charging system.

    I used the instructions as the tech note suggests below.

    iBook and iBook (FireWire) computers

    1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
    2. Disconnect the AC power adapter.
    3. Remove the battery.
    4. Press and release the reset button (shown in Figure 1) located above the
    Power button at the base of the display. Use a small, blunt instrument such as
    a paper clip to press the button.
    5. Wait 5 seconds.
    6. Reconnect the AC power adapter.
    7. Put the battery back in the computer.
    8. Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.

    But the battery will not recharge, in use, in sleep or when off completely.
    Perhaps I need to try a different approach?

    I have also tried resetting PRAM to no avail.

    The AC adapter is from an earlier Powerbook series-- the yo-yo style charger
    shorted out in the first year, this less stylish charger has successfully
    charged the old battery many times however. But the lighting bold symbol never
    comes on to say the battery is charging, and the adapter plug never pulses
    amber.

    Any tips? Power management settings? Another way of doing the hardware reset?
    Swapping the battery out differently?

    Is there an external charger available for the batteries? An old usenet message
    said VST made one, but that link is dead.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    GrapeApe Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: tangerine ibook battery will not recharge

    In article <aol.com>,
    comjunk (GrapeApe) wrote:

    Those clamshell iBook batteries are made so that if their voltage drops to
    a certain low level, they turn themselves off and can't be used again. I
    forget the details but it's done this way to prevent a dangerous situation
    from occurring.

    It's possible that the replacement battery that was sold to you has been
    sitting on the shelf for a couple years without being recharged. If this is
    the case and it "turned itself off," no amount of time with the charger
    plugged in will get it to charge. In other words, you can have a brand-new
    battery that's dead out of the box.

    I would track down someone who has a working clamshell ibook and ask to
    borrow their battery for a few minutes. If it shows that it's charging,
    it's not your iBook. If that happens, I would return your replacement
    battery and tell your dealer to get you one that is more recent in
    manufacture.

    I know all this because I had a situation similar to yours.

    You can tell how old the battery is by googling up the model number, and/or
    I think the date of manufacture is printed on it.

    If this turns out to be the case, please post here, because I'm curious.
    Thanks.
    sam Guest

  3. #3

    >the power management logic that we're talking about is in the battery

    Which makes the instructions to reset the ibook with the battery *completely
    out of the ibook* rather baffling. How could that possibly do anything to
    powermanagement on the battery itself?

    Apparently it is only the original iBook that has the power management in the
    battery itself?

    I find it odd that the Apple Tech note skips the original iBook completely,
    although many people reading it might think one of the other iBook descriptions
    fits theirs.
    GrapeApe Guest

  4. #4

    In article <aol.com>,
    comjunk (GrapeApe) wrote:

    I don't know enough about it to comment intelligently. From
    memory, I thought that all laptop lithium ion batteries have this
    safety circuit on them that turns them off if they get too low in
    voltage. But I don't think that equates with "power management"
    in the more formal sense of the word. I think "smart battery"
    might be a better term. But since the time of the original iBook,
    maybe they've changed the way that batteries work. Again, you can
    find a kind of long thread on this at www.macintouch.com.
    sam Guest