Professional Web Applications Themes

Tape drive idiocy - SCO

Ok, I've done something stupid or am missing the obvious. Exchanged a tape drive temporarily in a 5.04 server (Dell poweredge 2300). Removed a DAT (scsi) and installed a travan (scsi). Everything went fine. But now the drive only works in single user mode. It shows up in hwconfig at boot up, but shows offline on tape status. In single user, it's fine. Reference to /dev/xct0 gives a permission denied error. tar tvf /dev/rStp0 goes to na-na land for quite awhile and comes back with a read error (offline). Permissions seem to be fine, ran mkdev tape in single and ...

  1. #1

    Default Tape drive idiocy

    Ok, I've done something stupid or am missing the obvious.

    Exchanged a tape drive temporarily in a 5.04 server (Dell poweredge
    2300). Removed a DAT (scsi) and installed a travan (scsi). Everything
    went fine. But now the drive only works in single user mode. It shows
    up in hwconfig at boot up, but shows offline on tape status. In single
    user, it's fine. Reference to /dev/xct0 gives a permission denied
    error. tar tvf /dev/rStp0 goes to na-na land for quite awhile and
    comes back with a read error (offline).

    Permissions seem to be fine, ran mkdev tape in single and in multiuser
    .... same results. What have I forgotten???

    Jim Hickinbotham
    DCRS Solutions, St. Louis
    Jim Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tape drive idiocy

    Jim Hickinbotham <net> wrote:

    That Travan is cheap junk?

    Aside from that..

    You left it as DAT type I assume.. if not, it should be.

    I'm trying hard to imagine what could happen between single and multi-user
    that could cause this.. is anything using the tape (fuser /dev/rStp0 ) ?

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  3. #3

    "Jim Hickinbotham" <net> wrote in message

    Is the new tape drive configured with the same ID as the old one?
    Was the old drive providing active termination on the bus? (not
    a good idea; use an external active terminator instead)

    Run (as root):

    sconf -v

    and see if your tape drive shows up where you expected it.

    Bob

    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    Bob Bailin made comment on Wed Aug 27 22:12:58 2003 :

    > Is the new tape drive configured with the same ID as the old one?
    > Was the old drive providing active termination on the bus? (not
    > a good idea; use an external active terminator instead)
    >
    > Run (as root):
    >
    > sconf -v
    >
    > and see if your tape drive shows up where you expected it.[/ref]

    That command (sconf) has got problems with 5.0.4 and earlier - it
    can panic the system.

    Tom

    Tom Melvin demon.co.uk http://www.tkrh.demon.co.uk
    Veterinary Solutions Ltd Sysop Compuserve Unixforum
    Tom Guest

  5. #5

    Bob Bailin <com> wrote:

    >> That command (sconf) has got problems with 5.0.4 and earlier - it
    >> can panic the system.[/ref][/ref]

    Nope, my experience is otherwise. Doesn't take two adaptors.

    Dunno about that.. worth a try.

  6. #6

    > Do you have ArcServe installed? I don't know much about it, but I'm [/ref]

    At one point, I did have ARCServe running and it was taking ownership.
    I killed it and uninstalled it. The drive worked for a while and went
    back to the same behavior.

    This PowerEdge does have two SCSI Channels and is 5.04, so I've been a
    bit hesitant to use sconf -v.

    Thanks for the responses so far, folks, I appreciate it. (Oh this is a
    mission critical system, so rebooting is like moving a bill thru
    congress). Right now, we're ftp'ing our backups to a network archive.

    Jim Hickinbotham
    DCRS Solutions
    Jim Guest

  7. #7

    net (Jim Hickinbotham) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    Jim,

    Here's a WAG (wild-assed guess).
    Is it conceivable that termination got ed up w/the swap? Or that
    the Travan is strapped for the same ID as another scsi device that mounts
    after going multiuser? (If it let you get that far).

    Good luck,
    Dan
    Dan Guest

  8. #8

    > Jim,

    Well, I thought about that... but how would it change going into
    multi-user?
    I've checked all the rc's -- nothing there that would do this.

    I've used this drive (model) at numerous sites with no problem. I'm
    starting to wonder if it isn't a Dell thingy, eh?

    Jim
    Jim Guest

  9. #9

    net (Jim Hickinbotham) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    > Well, I thought about that... but how would it change going into
    > multi-user?
    > I've checked all the rc's -- nothing there that would do this.
    >
    > I've used this drive (model) at numerous sites with no problem. I'm
    > starting to wonder if it isn't a Dell thingy, eh?
    >
    > Jim[/ref]

    Hi Jim,

    I was thinking specifically of a CD trying to mount when going
    multiuser, but somehow lost my train of thought before getting to the
    end of a 4 line post :-(

    So it went unstated.

    Don't know why it would make any difference to the problem
    you are experiencing, though.

    Regards,
    Dan
    Dan Guest

  10. #10

    In article <google.com>,
    Jim Hickinbotham <net> wrote:

    Please clarify that line just a bit. You say it works fine in
    single user mode, but shows offline on tape status, and then you
    say in single user it's find.

    Is the 'offline' showing up as the 'status' in single user mode or
    multi-user mode?

    Would you care to mention make/model of this Travan tape drive.
    That could help.

    From the permissions you posted I can't tell if they are fine or
    not, and I'll bet no one else can either.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest