Professional Web Applications Themes

Tape drive problems - Sun Solaris

Hi all, I hope someone can help me out on this: Owning a SS5 and a DEC TZ86 tape unit (I know it's an old one, but enough for my needs), I try to create decent backups on tape (DLT-III). I am running Solaris 8 with a very recent (downloaded last week) patch cluster applied. After every tape read/write command, it seems the device communication is misinterpreted by Solaris. The following thing makes I conclude this: - Creating an ufsdump works ok (but I see a SCSI timeout in /var/adm/messages appear at the very end of the dump) - Restoring ...

  1. #1

    Default Tape drive problems

    Hi all,

    I hope someone can help me out on this:

    Owning a SS5 and a DEC TZ86 tape unit (I know it's an old one, but enough
    for my needs), I try to create decent backups on tape (DLT-III).

    I am running Solaris 8 with a very recent (downloaded last week) patch
    cluster applied. After every tape read/write command, it seems the device
    communication is misinterpreted by Solaris. The following thing makes I
    conclude this:
    - Creating an ufsdump works ok (but I see a SCSI timeout in
    /var/adm/messages appear at the very end of the dump)
    - Restoring using ufsrestore (created above) works fine (but a SCSI
    timeout......blabla....exactly the same)
    - I installed Legato Networker 7 (evaluation copy). At the end of the label
    operation Networker reports an I/O error (and of course in the
    /var/adm/messages a SCSI timeout of which I think that's the I/O error
    Networker reports) so Networker deletes the tape from media library after
    labeling. So I cannot backup using Networker because of this. Trying to
    relabel the same tape again, it reads the label correctly (it even shows the
    correct name) and reports the label to be unknown in media database.
    After experiencing this (with different tapes of course) I thought of doing
    a complete erase of the tape (knowing it would not solve my problem). So at
    the end of "mt -f /dev/rmt/0hbn erase" again the SCSI timeout.

    This is why I think a signal of the TZ86 is misinterpreted by Solaris
    (because all data written/read seems to be ok).....

    Anyone of you ever connected a TZ86 to a Solaris box with similar
    problems??? Please let me know.

    Regards,
    Eddie

    Eddie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tape drive problems

    In comp.unix.solaris Eddie <nl> wrote:

    Hmm. I see a TZ87 in my st.conf file, but not an 86. Is the drive
    recognized by the driver?

    What does 'mt -f <drive> status' report with a tape in the drive?

    --
    Darren Dunham com
    Unix System Administrator Taos - The SysAdmin Company

  3. #3

    "Darren Dunham" <taos.com> wrote in message

    > [/ref]
    enough

    > Hmm. I see a TZ87 in my st.conf file, but not an 86. Is the drive
    > recognized by the driver?[/ref]
    That's what I already noticed, too. What do you mean by whether it is
    recognized??
    Vendor 'DEC ' Product 'TZ86 (C) DE' tape drive:
    sense key(0x6)= Unit Attention residual= 0 retries= 0
    file no= 0 block no= 0

    BUT, at the same time logged to /dev/console (and of course
    /var/adm/messages):
    Sep 23 17:57:01 host scsi:
    /iommu0,10000000/sbus0,10001000/espdma5,8400000/esp5,8800000/st5,0
    (st5):
    Sep 23 17:57:01 host Variable record length I/O

    Eddie Guest

  4. #4

    In comp.unix.solaris Eddie <nl> wrote:
    > That's what I already noticed, too. What do you mean by whether it is
    > recognized??[/ref]

    There are only specific models in the st.conf. If a drive doesn't match
    one of them, it will still talk to the drive, but with default settings
    that may not work well.

    > Vendor 'DEC ' Product 'TZ86 (C) DE' tape drive:
    > sense key(0x6)= Unit Attention residual= 0 retries= 0
    > file no= 0 block no= 0[/ref]

    Hmm. Looks to me like it's not... If it were, you'd see information
    from the second column of the st.conf.

    In the absence of any information about the drive itself, I might try to
    duplicate the TZ87 line and add one for TZ86, unload st, and try again.
    If you get something that looks like "DEC DLT", then it matched and will
    use the st.conf.

    The problem is that differences between the models may make the line
    incorrect, even if it is used. If you can find anything out about the
    model, that would increase the chances that you can make good decisions
    about what to modify in the st.conf.

  5. #5

    In Solaris 8 this is the reply that returns using mt -f <device> status.
    mt -f /dev/rmt/0 status
    HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive:
    sense key(0x6)= Unit Attention residual= 0 retries= 0
    file no= 0 block no= 0

    amp/nasa

    Darren Dunham <taos.com> wrote in message news:<W7Hbb.38$news.prodigy.com>...

    > Hmm. I see a TZ87 in my st.conf file, but not an 86. Is the drive
    > recognized by the driver?
    >
    > What does 'mt -f <drive> status' report with a tape in the drive?[/ref]
    Anne Guest

  6. #6

    I'm assuming that has nothing to do with the OP's DLT drive?

  7. #7

    > > That's what I already noticed, too. What do you mean by whether it is
    > > recognized??[/ref]
    >
    > There are only specific models in the st.conf. If a drive doesn't match
    > one of them, it will still talk to the drive, but with default settings
    > that may not work well.
    >

    > > Vendor 'DEC ' Product 'TZ86 (C) DE' tape drive:
    > > sense key(0x6)= Unit Attention residual= 0 retries= 0
    > > file no= 0 block no= 0[/ref]
    >
    > Hmm. Looks to me like it's not... If it were, you'd see information
    > from the second column of the st.conf.
    >
    > In the absence of any information about the drive itself, I might try to
    > duplicate the TZ87 line and add one for TZ86, unload st, and try again.
    > If you get something that looks like "DEC DLT", then it matched and will
    > use the st.conf.[/ref]
    I tried, but the same result. I found a couple of things on the net about
    this drive:

    It's a Dec TZ86, using CompacTapeIII tapes. The density code is 18h instead
    of default 00h (which is also used by TZ87). The capacity is 6Gb and the
    drive supports no compression.

    Drive TZ85 uses: 42500 bpi FMF serial cartridge tape X3B5/91-1174
    Drive TZ86 uses TK85 tapes except with 56 track pairs instead of 24

    This is about everything I can find about this drive.

    There are two options left for me I guess:
    - Searching st.conf of old versions of Solaris for the TZ86 entry and copy
    into st.conf (I don't know whether the format is still the same) so when
    anyone finds it, please let me know.
    - Contact Sun on this

    Regards,
    Eddie

    PS: Due to some people being infected with Sven-worm, I needed to get rid of
    my e-mail alias, but when wanting to reach me, use:
    eddies_ <at> hotmail <dot> com !! Sorry for the inconvenience!

    BTW Darren: thnx for the help so far!

    Eddie Guest

  8. #8

    In comp.unix.solaris Eddie <nl> wrote:

    >> Hmm. Looks to me like it's not... If it were, you'd see information
    >> from the second column of the st.conf.
    >>
    >> In the absence of any information about the drive itself, I might try to
    >> duplicate the TZ87 line and add one for TZ86, unload st, and try again.
    >> If you get something that looks like "DEC DLT", then it matched and will
    >> use the st.conf.[/ref]
    > I tried, but the same result. I found a couple of things on the net about
    > this drive:[/ref]

    There's a program out there that queries a tape drive and prints the
    exact identification string. It's probably similar to what you're
    getting in the 'mt' output, but I'd worry about minor formatting
    errors.

    I can't recall the name of the program, but I seem to remember that it
    would do sanity checks on your st.conf also.

    The idea is that you get the exact identification into the first section
    of the st.conf so that the st driver can associate the hardware with a
    definition. If it does that, then mt will report the drive using the
    second column string (the pretty print string).

    I found one doent, but it too suggested it should just be
    "DEC TZ86"

    Then in the definition, you can make sure it's using density code 18h or
    whatever is appropriate.

    #DLT2 = 1,0x38,0,0xd639,4,0x17,0x18,0x80,0x81,2;

    Here you can see that the default DLT2 definition (if it were associated
    with the drive) would use 0x18 as the 0m device.

    I'd probably get rid of the 0x80 and 0x81 densities, since they likely
    won't be accepted by the 86.

  9. #9

    Default SUMMARY: Tape drive problems

    Hi all,

    It seems solved now (thanks to Darren Dunham for his great help!):

    I created entries in /kernel/drv/st.conf with the following data now:

    host# grep DLT600 /kernel/drv/st.conf
    "DEC TZ86", "DEC DLT600", "DLT600";
    DLT600 = 1,0x36,0,0xd639,2,0x17,0x18,1;

    I set the device type to 0x36 (MT_ISOTHER), left the options (0xd639) equal
    to TZ87's, only set two densities and default to the second one (0x18).

    mt -f /dev/rmt/0 status now reports:
    DEC DLT600 tape drive:
    sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0
    file no= 0 block no= 0

    And no timeouts seem to appear. Another thing: DON'T forget to unload/load
    the kernel module for st (it took me half an hour more to have the problem
    solved because I forgot it once which caused it to appear still the same:-D)
    Syntax:

    host# modinfo | grep "st ("
    97 f613d000 10f78 33 1 st (SCSI tape Driver 1.215)
    host# modunload -i 97
    host# modload -p drv/st

    Regards,
    Eddie