Professional Web Applications Themes

Task Manager - Windows Setup, Administration & Security

I noticed lately that when i attempt to open my task manager, a notice comes up saying that the task manager was disabled by an administrator, however, I am the administrator and I never disabled it. I frequently use it to check for programs that open popups on the computer such as xupiter and close them as they can not be closed by any other means. If anyone can tell me where to change the administrative option so I can enable the task manager, I would be very appreciative, I've looked through every help file i can find, but theres ...

  1. #1

    Default Task Manager

    I noticed lately that when i attempt to open my task
    manager, a notice comes up saying that the task manager
    was disabled by an administrator, however, I am the
    administrator and I never disabled it. I frequently use
    it to check for programs that open popups on the computer
    such as xupiter and close them as they can not be closed
    by any other means. If anyone can tell me where to change
    the administrative option so I can enable the task
    manager, I would be very appreciative, I've looked
    through every help file i can find, but theres nothing.
    Mike Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Task Manager

    Hi Mike, I don't have XP Pro but I hope this helps you:

    To enable WinXP Pro's TaskManager using Group Policy Editor. This can be
    applied to the local policy.

    1. Click Start
    2. Click Run
    3. Enter gpedit.msc in the Open box and click OK
    4. In the Group Policy settings window
    .select User Configuration
    .select Administrative Templates
    .select System
    .select Ctrl+Alt+Delete options
    .select Remove Task Manager
    .double-click the Remove Task Manager option

    Since the policy is Remove Task Manager, by disabling the policy, you are
    enabling the Task Manager.

    "Mike S" <com> wrote in message

    Taurarian Guest

  3. #3

    I fixed the Worm problem, did all the patching. Now I
    can't use my task manager. It disappeares after a half
    second. XP home. help
    Jay Guest

  4. #4

    please let me know if you get an answer... I am going nuts
    trying to figure this one out...

    Thanks -

    Bob

    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    Greetings --

    This behavior is a common symptom of more than one virus/worm, the
    two below being the most common:

    W32.Klez
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/html

    W32.Yaha
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/html

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "wim van herk" <nl> wrote in message

    Bruce Guest

  6. #6

    Hello -

    I have tried to access my task manager by hitting control,
    alt, delete. I get a pop up window that says "Task Manager
    has been disabled by your administrator"............. This
    is my brand new computer. But I did buy the store model.
    Is there anyway I can change this??? If so how???

    Thanks,
    Heather
    heather Guest

  7. #7

    "heather" <net> wrote in message

    Steve Guest

  8. #8

    Hi, Sounds like you user log in is not in the Administrator's group, hmmm.
    You may need to find out how to get yourself into the Administrator's group
    (from the store where you bought it), so that you can maintain your system.
    I tried Ctrl-Alt-Del as Admin, a User with limited privileges, and as Guest.
    In all three instances I could get the Task Manager and Shutdown the system
    (so I have a hole that I have to plug myself.....)

    Take a look at this great site http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm.
    Select "T" and scroll down through the "T"'s past Taskbar to Taskmanager and
    read what he has to say.

    Kelly's is a great site.

    Good luck. Steve

  9. #9

    I cannot access the Task Manager. Crtl-Alt-Delete or
    right clicking the taskbar only brings up Task Manager in
    a quick flash - then disappears. Any ideas??
    thanks....
    rick Guest