Professional Web Applications Themes

Tell me how to make sepia photos - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Many years ago, it was popular to print photos that had an overall "sepia" tone - it was a light brown tone that was used to enhance the entire image. Please (1) tell me how to create a sepia print with Elements 2 on Windows XP SP1 or (2) tell me where to look for instructions in online help or the User Guide. I have no experience in this aspect of the program. Thank You...

  1. #1

    Default Tell me how to make sepia photos

    Bruce_McIlroy@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tell me how to make sepia photos

    Bruce; as usual there are many ways. The easiest way is to create a new layer, go to Variations and create a sepia colour by mixing reds and yellows. Afterwards you can adjust the colour by means of either varying saturation and/or the opacity of the layer.

    Leen
    Leen_Koper@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Bruce, you can try an adjustment layer. In the toolbar go to 'layer'>new adjustment layer>hue/saturation. For sepia set hue to 30 and saturation to 25 and check the 'colorize' box. You can play with those hue/sat sliders a bit to suit your 'sepia' taste.
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Bruce, create a background copy layer. Go to Layer Styles, then photographic effects. There is a sepia tone that can be applied to this layer.
    Pat_Coggin@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Wow! What a great and fast response. Thanks to Leen, Jodi and Pat.
    Bruce_McIlroy@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Bruce, if you do as Pat says in post #3 you can also tinker with the opacity by adjusting on the slider on layers palette...maybe even adjust the mode setting to get just the look that suits your taste.

    Terri
    Terri_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Try both methods, Bruce. A lot of it is a matter of taste. I much prefer Jodi's method because the built in sepia tone, even with adjustments, has a yellowish cast that I don't care for. You might like it, but be fair to yourself and your photo and try both!
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    And if you want yet another method...I use a gradient map
    see <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?7.1de96459/32>
    for instructions (post no. 30...)

    Susan S
    Susan_S.@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    This easy technique was included in lessons I took from Sara on the Eclectic Academy site. Remove the color from photo under "Enhance, adjust color. Still under adjust color, check color variations. Click on Increase red and then on decrease blue. Works really well on some photos. Do
    Do_Brinkmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Go to <http://epaperpress.com/psphoto/index.html>. Then click on Black & White, under that click Classic Tones, then download "these curves".
    Just put them in their own folder under Adobe or Photoshop. To use them, under Adjust, Curves, click Load and the curves will come up. Click the one you want. After OK, you can makes adjustments.
    mat_of_the_mint@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Regrettably, the Curves dialog in Elements doesn't have the Load button.
    Not sure there's a workaround...

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest