Professional Web Applications Themes

Telnet Troubles from Windows to SCO Unix - SCO

Hello, I have troubles connecting W98 or W2000 to an SCO Unix 5.0.5 server through Telnet. It's just a TCP/IP local network without accessing outside. Each Windows PC has a unique IP number and they are working fine in their Windows LAN. So, IP numbers are no problem. I can telnet from a Windows PC doing: open 192.168.1.5 <-- Fine! being 192.168.1.5 the IP number of the SCO Unix Server. However, I can't telnet using the domain name and host name of the SCO Unix (I don't access Internet or any Extranet): open scosysv.my_domain_name <-- It doesn't work! I think ...

  1. #1

    Default Telnet Troubles from Windows to SCO Unix

    Hello,
    I have troubles connecting W98 or W2000 to an SCO Unix 5.0.5 server
    through Telnet. It's just a TCP/IP local network without accessing
    outside. Each Windows PC has a unique IP number and they are working
    fine in their Windows LAN. So, IP numbers are no problem. I can telnet
    from a Windows PC doing:

    open 192.168.1.5 <-- Fine!

    being 192.168.1.5 the IP number of the SCO Unix Server.

    However, I can't telnet using the domain name and host name of the SCO
    Unix (I don't access Internet or any Extranet):

    open scosysv.my_domain_name <-- It doesn't work!

    I think I'm missing set something in the /etc/named.d/named.hosts or
    another similar file, but I don't know what. Might anybody help me?

    Thanks very much!
    Jorge_Beteta Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Telnet Troubles from Windows to SCO Unix

    "Jorge_Beteta" <jbeteta> wrote in message
    news:5140b91e.0307291701.51eb7196posting.google.c om...
    > Hello,
    > I have troubles connecting W98 or W2000 to an SCO Unix 5.0.5 server
    > through Telnet. It's just a TCP/IP local network without accessing
    > outside. Each Windows PC has a unique IP number and they are working
    > fine in their Windows LAN. So, IP numbers are no problem. I can telnet
    > from a Windows PC doing:
    >
    > open 192.168.1.5 <-- Fine!
    >
    > being 192.168.1.5 the IP number of the SCO Unix Server.
    >
    > However, I can't telnet using the domain name and host name of the SCO
    > Unix (I don't access Internet or any Extranet):
    >
    > open scosysv.my_domain_name <-- It doesn't work!
    >
    > I think I'm missing set something in the /etc/named.d/named.hosts or
    > another similar file, but I don't know what. Might anybody help me?
    ??? /etc/hosts ???

    Ron

    Ronald J Marchand Guest

  3. #3

    "Jorge_Beteta" <jbeteta> wrote in message
    news:5140b91e.0307291701.51eb7196posting.google.c om...
    > Hello,
    > I have troubles connecting W98 or W2000 to an SCO Unix 5.0.5 server
    > through Telnet. It's just a TCP/IP local network without accessing
    > outside. Each Windows PC has a unique IP number and they are working
    > fine in their Windows LAN. So, IP numbers are no problem. I can telnet
    > from a Windows PC doing:
    >
    > open 192.168.1.5 <-- Fine!
    >
    > being 192.168.1.5 the IP number of the SCO Unix Server.
    >
    > However, I can't telnet using the domain name and host name of the SCO
    > Unix (I don't access Internet or any Extranet):
    >
    > open scosysv.my_domain_name <-- It doesn't work!
    >
    > I think I'm missing set something in the /etc/named.d/named.hosts or
    > another similar file, but I don't know what. Might anybody help me?
    >
    > Thanks very much!
    You have to enter the fully qualified host name into the hosts file of
    your *Windows* computer in order to use it to reference the SCO
    Unix machine that way. It's probably far easier to use Windows
    telnet from IE using: telnet:192.168.1.5
    and bookmarking the location under Favorites.

    Or you can create a shortcut on your desktop that runs the
    command: telnet 192.168.1.5
    and name it whatever you wish. Again, no need to reference the
    SCO machine by its domain name.

    Bob Bailin Guest

  4. #4

    "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605compuserve.com> wrote in message

    > "Jorge_Beteta" <jbeteta> wrote in message
    > news:5140b91e.0307291701.51eb7196posting.google.c om...
    > > Hello,
    > > I have troubles connecting W98 or W2000 to an SCO Unix 5.0.5 server
    > > through Telnet. It's just a TCP/IP local network without accessing
    > > outside. Each Windows PC has a unique IP number and they are working
    > > fine in their Windows LAN. So, IP numbers are no problem. I can telnet
    > > from a Windows PC doing:
    > >
    > > open 192.168.1.5 <-- Fine!
    > >
    > > being 192.168.1.5 the IP number of the SCO Unix Server.
    > >
    > > However, I can't telnet using the domain name and host name of the SCO
    > > Unix (I don't access Internet or any Extranet):
    > >
    > > open scosysv.my_domain_name <-- It doesn't work!
    > >
    > > I think I'm missing set something in the /etc/named.d/named.hosts or
    > > another similar file, but I don't know what. Might anybody help me?
    > >
    > > Thanks very much!
    >
    > You have to enter the fully qualified host name into the hosts file of
    > your *Windows* computer in order to use it to reference the SCO
    > Unix machine that way. It's probably far easier to use Windows
    > telnet from IE using: telnet:192.168.1.5
    > and bookmarking the location under Favorites.
    >
    > Or you can create a shortcut on your desktop that runs the
    > command: telnet 192.168.1.5
    > and name it whatever you wish. Again, no need to reference the
    > SCO machine by its domain name.

    I may have done something in my sleep and do not remember it but ...

    My SCO server is named rjm. There is the file, /etc/hosts, that contains
    the names of all machines and their addresses.

    There are no hosts or lmhosts files on my Win/ME workstation. From a
    command prompt I type: ping rjm ... and the Unix host responds. And if I
    telnet rjm, a windows box for telnet pops up with a login.

    Ron

    Ronald J Marchand Guest

  5. #5

    Ronald J Marchand wrote:
    > "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605compuserve.com> wrote
    >
    >>"Jorge_Beteta" <jbeteta> wrote

    <snip>
    >>>Hello,
    >>> I can telnet from a Windows PC doing:
    >>> open 192.168.1.5 <-- Fine!
    >>>However, I can't telnet using the domain name and host name of the SCO
    >>> open scosysv.my_domain_name <-- It doesn't work!
    >>
    >>You have to enter the fully qualified host name into the hosts file of
    >>your *Windows* computer in order to use it to reference the SCO
    >>Unix machine that way. It's probably far easier to use Windows
    >>telnet from IE using: telnet:192.168.1.5
    >>and bookmarking the location under Favorites.
    <snip>

    > I may have done something in my sleep and do not remember it but ...
    I think so :-)
    > My SCO server is named rjm. There is the file, /etc/hosts, that contains
    > the names of all machines and their addresses.
    >
    > There are no hosts or lmhosts files on my Win/ME workstation. From a
    > command prompt I type: ping rjm ... and the Unix host responds. And if I
    > telnet rjm, a windows box for telnet pops up with a login.

    Maybe you have VisionFS or SAMBA running on rjm? These will broadcast
    name & address adverts in Microsoft SMB format that the PCs pick up.
    They'll also register their NetBIOS names with a WINS server if so
    configured.

    I prefer DNS but YMMV.

    Ian.

    Ian Wilson Guest

  6. #6

    "Ian Wilson" <scobloke2infotop.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > I may have done something in my sleep and do not remember it but ...
    >
    > I think so :-)
    I do a lot in my sleep, like write that post. :-}

    Ron

    Ronald J Marchand Guest

  7. #7

    "Don Yakubowski" <don_ytricomp.ca> wrote in message

    > "Scott McMillan" <smcmusa.net> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:23:58 -0500, "Ronald J Marchand"
    > > <rojomarcovad.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > >"Bob Bailin" <72027.3605compuserve.com> wrote in message

    > server
    > telnet

    > SCO

    > > >I may have done something in my sleep and do not remember it but ...
    > > >
    > > >My SCO server is named rjm. There is the file, /etc/hosts, that
    contains
    > > >the names of all machines and their addresses.
    > > >
    > > >There are no hosts or lmhosts files on my Win/ME workstation. From a
    > > >command prompt I type: ping rjm ... and the Unix host responds. And
    if
    > > >telnet rjm, a windows box for telnet pops up with a login.
    > > >
    > > >Ron
    > > >

    > > Does your SCO box run Samba/VisionFS/AFPS? That would broadcast the
    > > SCO box's name to the rest of the LAN. I found that I can ping/telnet
    > > any of my SCO systems running any of the above, without the need for a
    > > hosts entry (on either the SCO or Windoze boxen). I cannot
    > > ping/telnet those SCO systems not running SMB software, whether my
    > > Windoze system's IP address is in /etc/hosts or not.
    > >

    > > Scott McMillan
    > >

    > Unless I missed something posted, nobody knows yet if there is a DNS
    server
    > anywhere on the LAN, and if there is, is it the same SCO box ? Doesn't
    > really matter if it , but the SCO box will try a reverse DNS lookup for
    the
    > Win client telnetting into it, using whatever DNS resolution methods the
    SCO
    > box has
    > available to it (ie. local /etc/hosts, bind, both!) So if the SCO box is
    > pointed to some other DNS server for resolution, make sure that dns server
    > has reverse lookup populated properly for all the Win boxes. Or just put
    the
    > entries into /etc/hosts on SCO box and ensure /etc/resolv.conf has
    > "hostresorder" set to include "local". This should force a local lookup in
    > /etc/hosts .
    >
    > Don Yakubowski

    In Windows 95 and 98 you can create a hosts file in the windows directory
    for dns resolution. An example file is already there called hosts.sam. If
    standard dns and wins resolution fails it checks the windows\hosts file same
    as SCO uses etc/hosts

    Rick Peters Guest