Professional Web Applications Themes

Template does'nt have correct links after update in Fireworks - Macromedia Dreamweaver

If I create a template by including Fireworks HTML (everything works), and then try to update the template in Fireworks, all the links to the images are bad. I can correct them by manually placing a ../ in front of the links. What am I doing wrong?...

  1. #1

    Default Template does'nt have correct links after update in Fireworks

    WI3Z webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    WI3Z:

    Sadly, what you are doing wrong is using the FW pop-ups. While you can
    adjust the round-tripping so that you don't have this problem, you would be
    well advised to move away from this scheme altogether and adopt a more
    flexible menuing approach -

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm[/url]

    or

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "WI3Z" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > If I create a template by including Fireworks HTML (everything works), and
    then try to update the template in Fireworks, all the links to the images
    are bad. I can correct them by manually placing a ../ in front of the links.
    What am I doing wrong?

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Al:

    Yes - that's what I'm suggesting. FW writes HTML code that is FINE if your
    page always has the 'shape' that your image did when FW created the HTML.
    While a bit 'bloaty" the code is fine, if you can accommodate some dangerous
    usages. But man-o-man, change the shape of the page by adding more content,
    and then you really get to see how fragile that code is. Not only is it
    loaded with col- and rowspans, but also it relies a bit too much on
    cell/table dimensions to my liking.

    Here is the body of a post I made earlier today on the FW forum -

    Well, using the FW pop-ups (and without some manual hacks to the code), I
    believe that you are required to use a constant width for each of the
    horizontal "cells" reserved for your menu choices. This width will be
    determined by the width of the longest menu option, which in your case is
    "All the other ...."

    The easiest way to do this kind of menu is to use DW to build it with a
    layer that is shown and hidden via the DW interface, rather than one that is
    built with dynamically written javascript as with the DW/FW pop-ups. The
    advantages of doing this with static layers are several -

    1. The code required to support the menu is about 15% the size of the code
    required to support the DW/FW pop-ups, so there is a significant bandwidth
    benefit
    2. The code for the 'simple' menu is accessible to Search Engine spiders,
    while the code dynamically written by the DW/FW pop-ups is not
    3. The code for the 'simple' menu is accessible to screen readers, whereas
    the code written dynamically is not
    4. The code for the 'simple' menu is accessible to DW's site management
    routines, whereas the code for the DW/FW pop-ups is not - you'll discover
    this when you try to move an image, or save a page into a different folder
    level and your menu breaks

    Only the last of these issues is partially soluble by manually hacking the
    menu code, but your skill level may give you an aversion even to that
    solution.

    In short, the simple approach is MUCH better in this case. You can do it
    manually, or you can follow these tutorials, if you wish -

    > I thought the whole idea of the intigration between Fireworks and
    Dreamweaver was to have flexibility. Are you suggesting that I don't use
    Fireworks html and go to dhtml?

    > Al

    Murray *TMM* Guest