What's New change the name="What's New" --> part to a different name. like this: name="Whats_New" --> save the template- allow it to update the pages. A new dialog box will come up- the "Inconsistent Regions" box. It will list the old "What's New" region name, and ask what you want to do with it's content. Use the pulldowns to select to put it's content into the "Whats_New" region. NOTE_ there's a chance you'll not be able to do it that way- because of the ' mark will cause errors while you're trying to get rid of it. If so- it will be a quick find and replace to change the name in source. something like find in source: replace with: [quote] > There is an error at line 100 column 37 (absolute positon 8886) of " Macintosh > HD:users:williambaird:Desktop:cryowebsite:index.htm": Illegal name "What's > New" (names can't contain Quotes, ampersands, '<', or '>' characters > > i get this message with slightly different locations for all my pages. I have > tried to find the spot where the error says it is and i can't find anything on > either my template or the other documents.[/quote] -- Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Alan Ames [ip] => blu@formdude.co [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 2 [islastshown] => 1 [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Template Error Message - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Template Error Message - Macromedia Dreamweaver

hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me. Some else has designed the website that i am now in charge of updating and editing. i have made some changes to the side nav bar which is in the template. i made this changes with just a text editor, before i got dreamweaver. now i know the site was designed with templates. so i went and made all the changes on the template. when i save and choose to change all my other pages, i get this error message: There is an error at line 100 column 37 (absolute positon ...

Default Template Error Message

hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help me. Some else has designed the website that i am now in charge of updating and editing. i have made some changes to the side nav bar which is in the template. i made this changes with just a text editor, before i got dreamweaver. now i know the site was designed with templates. so i went and made all the changes on the template. when i save and choose to change all my other pages, i get this error message:

There is an error at line 100 column 37 (absolute positon 8886) of " Macintosh HD:users:williambaird:Desktop:cryowebsite:index.ht m": Illegal name "What's New" (names can't contain Quotes, ampersands, '<', or '>' characters

i get this message with slightly different locations for all my pages. I have tried to find the spot where the error says it is and i can't find anything on either my template or the other doents. I am at a loss for what to do next. i am just figuring out this whole template thing and i would like to update the site using the template instead of the long way i did it before. anyone know what i need to do.

thanks

michelle

i don't think that it really matters but the site is [url]www.cryobio.com[/url]. i haven't uploaded the changes i have made to the template, it is all on my local drive.

MichelleS webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

Default Re: Template Error Message

Open the Template.

go to line 100 (there's a line number option- the rightmost icon on top of
    design view- named View Options)

Or- click into the "What's New" editable region in design view- and see
    where the cursor is in the code of Split view.

that line will have something like this:
    <!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="What's New" -->What's New<!--
    TemplateEndEditable -->

change the name="What's New" --> part to a different name. like this:
    name="Whats_New" -->

save the template- allow it to update the pages.

A new dialog box will come up- the "Inconsistent Regions" box.

It will list the old "What's New" region name, and ask what you want to do
    with it's content. Use the pulldowns to select to put it's content into the
    "Whats_New" region.

NOTE_ there's a chance you'll not be able to do it that way- because of the
    ' mark will cause errors while you're trying to get rid of it. If so- it
    will be a quick find and replace to change the name in source. something
    find in source:
    <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="What's New" -->
    replace with: <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="Whats_New" -->
    > There is an error at line 100 column 37 (absolute positon 8886) of " Macintosh
    > HD:users:williambaird:Desktop:cryowebsite:index.ht m": Illegal name "What's
    > New" (names can't contain Quotes, ampersands, '<', or '>' characters
    >
    > i get this message with slightly different locations for all my pages. I have
    > tried to find the spot where the error says it is and i can't find anything on
    > either my template or the other doents.
    --
    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver
    Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer

Alan Ames Guest